Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,598 Posts
Yes it will. I have a 2000 and have a 04 intercooler.

· AYHIN
3,004 Posts
I don't think so.

I haven't tried it but Ford had to make a "Mutt plate" to accept the 10 row intercooler core so it could mount up to the 99/00 lower intake. Why go to that much trouble if a 10 row 01/04 intercooler would mount up to the 99/00 mid plate?

· Registered
1,773 Posts
'99 here with Ford Intercooler recall done ... Last year had to replace it - got one from RPM - had to select the correct one since I had the recall done.
Just for info

· Slowest Silver Lightning
2,548 Posts

· I paid my buck-o-five
75,858 Posts
I don't think so.

I haven't tried it but Ford had to make a "Mutt plate" to accept the 10 row intercooler core so it could mount up to the 99/00 lower intake. Why go to that much trouble if a 10 row 01/04 intercooler would mount up to the 99/00 mid plate?
i made a thread with pics showing the difference

· Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Will a newer intercooler bolt up to the 99 mid plate? Trying to help a buddy of mine and trying to keep him from throwing money at it if he doesn't need to.
Only if it's a recall midplate.

A non recall midplate it will NOT work

· Premium Member
25,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, what options are we looking at being it is almost impossible to find the recall unit?
Do we get a 10 row IC and make it work with 99 mid plate?
Do we get a 10 row IC and use a newer mid plate and make that work with 99 turkey pan?
Or do we need to get newer turkey pan, IC, and mid plate. Then drill out 99 sc to fit?

This has the potential to get expensive real quick.

· Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Could always buy one of my midplates....

But really your only option is a used recall setup or swap to 01+ or my midplate and m122 swap

· Premium Member
25,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is for a 70+ year old guy who drives the thing maybe 4 times a year. I'm thinking that if this goes over $400-$500 in parts, it may not get done at all. I'm doing the work for free while showing his grandson around the truck as it looks like he will wind up with the truck down the road.

Is it possible to drill out a 99 mid plate to fit the newer IC?

· AYHIN
3,004 Posts
Finding a "Mutt Midplate" setup is tough but probably the best solution.

Swapping out the lower intake for a 01/04 and using a 01/04 Midplate and 10 row intercooler would be another direction to go and probably easier to locate but probably more expensive and a lot more labor. Obviously modifying the blower to fit is another issue.

I suspect Johnny's midplate is a good solution but don't know the price on this one.

Lastly, I believe LFP offers a 99/00 Intercooler to replace the leaking intercooler you have now. This would probably be the least expensive and most cost effective way to go.

· Premium Member
3,118 Posts
This is for a 70+ year old guy who drives the thing maybe 4 times a year. I'm thinking that if this goes over $400-$500 in parts, it may not get done at all. I'm doing the work for free while showing his grandson around the truck as it looks like he will wind up with the truck down the road.

Is it possible to drill out a 99 mid plate to fit the newer IC?
A machine shop could do it. Not sure how much they would want, doing it yourself would require cutting the tip off a tap sp it cuts threads all the way to bottom of hole you drill since you wouldn't drill all the way through

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.