Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have read many posts on how people are getting 1.8 or 1.9 60ft's on stock F1's, I have Nitto drag radials and can only muster a 2.0. I have tried leaving at idle, brake torquing it to about 1200rpms and easing into it. I need some tested and tried ways pleaaaaaaase!

Thank you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The best I have ever got on F1's was a 1.97 -60'(bone stock 03L), and that was just easing into the throttle as I felt traction.
I went to the track 2 days ago on my Nitto 404 street tires (305/40/20) and cut a 1.94 -60' which I thought was awesome for the track I race on.
I cut consistant 2.0's in my 94 Cobra (13.77), 04 Mach1 (13.78) and my 93L (14.3) at the same track.
I think every track is a little different, but 1.9 and 2.0 at my local track is great.

FWIW - I have cut a 1.73 - 60' on slicks in my 03L

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
It's GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT having KB Zilla here aint it  [smilie=wavey.gif]

(BTW KB) Chris has been without Internet Access for a few days, his area is having prob's
)@%$)@%$(@%$)@%$)@$)@$%(@$%(@$
But we did managed to get one e-mail to ea other through it, he'll be talking to you SOON
(if he hasn't already)  to get the ball rolling :smt023

silverbolt,
What it comes down to is each and every L seems to be a little diff, I'm told this is due
to some Torque Convertors being loser than others. (or is it looser ???) Anyway have you ever seen MYSVTSITSON23S launch that bad boy, he can stall that stock Torque Convertor higher than most can with an aftermarket one. A few RPM can make the diff of the world.

HOWEVER I still have launched EVERYTIME I EVER RACED on a dead idle, foot OFF the Gas,
when it's time to go, I jump out the MF seat and stomp the Pedal to the floor as hard and fast as I can.  I raced one full season with weekly trips to the track when Lightly Moded on my F-1's.
( I was running 13.1's - 13.3's)
With my method THE WORSE EVER EVER 60ft on F-1's was 2.0, 99.8% were 1.9, and I had
(1) 1.8, and believe me that was on a very BAD schitty prepped track (now closed  :sad:
(Long Island Motorsports Park)

I truly believe "Flashing the Convertor" (as it's called) is a very important part of our Launch,
all that means is hitting it with EVERYTHING all at once from stopped dead position
Of course this is also acheived by preloading the Convertor (foot on gas and brake for launch)
and of course if you you do have a Aftermarket Convertor (Stall Convertor) you will DEF want to preload it so you launch at a higher RPM range, (Hence closer to the Power)

But unfortunately I have read many post where people CAN NOT use my method, and although I don't have an answer why, cause God knows I aint doing nothing special, (foot on brake, when it's time, stomp the sob to the floor) but man oh man does it work for me. I have now finished my 3rd racing season, last two on Slicks ONLY and I got to say 1.6 pretty much every time with the Hoosiers and my Method. (as low as 1.63, but I do have a couple of 1.7's also) 

Unfortunatly two weeks ago at Eng Town was Mine AND EVERYONES worse ever 60ft times but that was clearly due the the track, it was just too cold, and had rained cats and dogs the day before, and no matter how much stickey stuff we put down, it would just go away after a few trucks ran. But even under those conditions, launching with a full 100 N20 HP ALL AT ONCE,
I still managed 1.70 and a 11.87 ET @ 113.57.

I feel really bad for the L's that cant launch like this  :sad: it's so simple, yet sooooo effective....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks Rob, glad to be here!!  :smt039 Chris has already got with me...and hooked me up :smt047

I use the same method as Rob to launch my 03L at the track, I just sit at idle until the lights come down ...then WHAM on the gas as hard as I can. I feel like this "flashes" the converter the best. Of course you have to be on slicks or you will sit there in a cloud of smoke ...he he he  [smilie=ughdance.gif]
I did this with a stock converter and I still do it with my 2600 stall. One of these days I am going to try a few different methods since I have the 2600 now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tips, I will try this on friday and see what happens

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've made over 400 passes in many different street cars w/regular radial tires. And most of that has been at down right crappy tracks too.   Tell you what I've found to be the best in every situation.

Rear tires at about 25-26 psi, remove front sway bar, and launch with the tires ever so slightly sipinning but *NOT* screeching or any sort of hop/shudder. (including fwd)

On my lightning with stock convertor and F1s I was able to get a 12.84 w/a 1.9x 60ft by slightly hazing them just to dust them off, launching at 800rpms, and then rolling into it as quickly as was possible. (given what I said above)

One thing that does seem to stick out to me about the Lightning as well.... When I hot lap the power level is down and I can more easily go WOT sooner off the line. Which is exactly how I got that 12.84

Hope this helps somewhat,  Rich

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
KB ZILLA
Lightning does Strike Twice !!!
Site Staff

wydopnthrtl
Site Staff

is this great or what, 2 AWESOME NEW L BROTHERS  :smt023 :smt023

AND KB+ Wydopnthrtl are BOTH NOW STAFF ,  :smt026

WOO HOO

Sorry I had to wait for Chris to set it up
I have full control over the site and setting up this stuff, but ever since Chris changed Software
I simply hadn't had must time to re-learn the admin controls. (I'll work on that today)
AMOF I'll find a way to get rid of the "Newbie" and see if I can get it to say, FU GATOR
OR SOMETHING, hehehehehe

WELCOME MY BROTHERS, we can really use your help,
AND THANK YOU FOR EXTENDING IT  [smilie=bow.gif]

Great Post and Info BTW  :smt023

·
Registered
427 Posts
No problem Rob...... :D

Now if I could just get back up outta' the floor from reading
I'll find a way to get rid of the "Newbie" and see if I can get it to say, FU GATOR
OR SOMETHING, hehehehehe
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044

·
Registered
228 Posts
A lot of factors come into getting a good 60' time
1. Is it test n tune night and everyone is running street tires. This will kill any track even with glue on.
2. Are you getting into the groove on the track, Hint the older guys run towards the center of the track to see the bulbs better and get a more consistent R/T. So stay closer to the center when you stage and there will be a better track there also.
3. Set your tires up like wydopnthrtl said at 26-28# and pump up the front to about 40#.
4. Each truck leaves differently but a set of traction bars will help any 60' time with F1's and are a must with slicks.
5. Some prefer to flash the converter and some don't and each have good points and bad. Flashing the converter will preload the suspension, set the brakes harder and soften the shock to the tires giving a smoother take off and chance of spinning the tires. Going from idle to WOT will net you a better 60' time but may leave you spinning at the line and that's a bad thing but it may work for you!
6. If you're bracket racing find what you are comfortable with and stick to it. It's all about consistency and not trying for a new record each time you race.
7. Don't eat anything before you race it will slow down your reaction time and that goes for drinking gobs of fluids.
8. Find your dominant eye and make sure it sees the bulbs as well as the other one this will help R/T times also.
9.  Keep a log of what you do and it will show you what's working and what isn't.
10. Keep a half tank of gas in the truck and no more or less, I've found this to help alot!

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Bill Jordan
Site Staff

Geez with all this staff around here, I must be getting the Axe
OR SOMETHING  [smilie=eek4.gif]

WOO HOO BILL, :smt023

BTW, GREAT INFO

Just got home from work, gonna play with the admin controls now,
do you want yours to say FU Gator too  :D

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
The funniest part about JDM Day, was I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA that you (Gator)
was driving around and racing the entire day with FU ROB written across the rear  [smilie=eek4.gif]
It wasn't until my racing was done, after I put the Truck back to street Trim,
slicks off, ready yo go home, and someone said, "Rob did you look at the back of Gators Truck,", I said NO, WHY ???

Some may say, but how didn't you see it
You see Gator had a special place to park all day, right there on the private road next to the starting line. Now for us racing who are outside in the staging lanes all day, and come around
from the front, all we ever see is the nose of it. Then you run, go back into the pits, and repeat as needed.

Now of course since EVERYONE in the stands WAS on the pit side (stands), Gators Truck
AND FU ROB, happens to haved showed up in EVERY GOT DAM PICTURE TAKEN THAN DAY
)@%$)@[email protected]$^[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]$(&*!#&%!*&#^$!*&#$!*#$*!#$!(#%(!$#([email protected]$%(*[email protected]$%@$

Including this one
And yes thats me coming out of my Burnout (never seeing the rear of MY PALS LIGHTNING

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all of the AWESOME tips, I am heading there tomorrow before I head to work and will try a few of these. And I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
The funniest part about JDM Day, was I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA that you (Gator)
was driving around and racing the entire day with FU ROB written across the rear  [smilie=eek4.gif]
It wasn't until my racing was done, after I put the Truck back to street Trim,
slicks off, ready yo go home, and someone said, "Rob did you look at the back of Gators Truck,", I said NO, WHY ???

Some may say, but how didn't you see it
You see Gator had a special place to park all day, right there on the private road next to the starting line. Now for us racing who are outside in the staging lanes all day, and come around
from the front, all we ever see is the nose of it. Then you run, go back into the pits, and repeat as needed.

Now of course since EVERYONE in the stands WAS on the pit side (stands), Gators Truck
AND FU ROB, happens to haved showed up in EVERY GOT DAM PICTURE TAKEN THAN DAY
)@%$)@[email protected]$^[email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]$(&*!#&%!*&#^$!*&#$!*#$*!#$!(#%(!$#([email protected]$%(*[email protected]$%@$

Including this one
And yes thats me coming out of my Burnout (never seeing the rear of MY PALS LIGHTNING

Stop it Rob, your killing me :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have run a best of 1.97 of f1's.

I can't get Nitto DR's to hook at all. I've tried everything. Took the tires off my truck and put them on my old mans and he's run 1.7x's. On my truck they either spin right up or I don't get on them hard enough and launch too light. I run Hoosier QTP's now and may go to full Hoosier slicks next season. Had alot of trouble this season so didn't run much but I finally got in the mid 1.8's with them and confident I can hit 1.7's with some practice. The Nittos are awesome on the street though. Mine are bald and i'll be putting a new set on come spring..

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Welcome tallimeca [smilie=wavey.gif]

Thanks for checking the place out :smt023

Please excuse us while we're under construction
The Video, Sound Section, and Front Page are curently under construction (hurry Chris)
but everything else is working including the Pic Gallery.

ENJOY AND WELCOME

WOW, I see your Faster than Gator too............................. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts