Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday is the last day to sign up to race at Spookfest 2019 at Cecil County Dragway.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Stupid question but at $200 a pop why are you not accepting anyone at the gate who wants to race? Even if you charge $150 at the gate and get a few cars your still in the green correct?

JJ

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JJ, we are not excepting anyone at the gate because when we switched from Atco to Cecil the amount of guaranteed money required almost doubled and we can’t just wait until track day to find out if we are left with a bag of crap in our hands because not enough guys showed up. This way if we don’t have enough guys we will know 3-4 weeks before hand so we can scramble to get more vehicles.

Why can’t guys just sign up and pay early?
It also wasn’t always $200 a pop. It was $170 if you signed up before September 7th.

and $150 a pop doesn’t cover a spot

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
JJ, we are not excepting anyone at the gate because when we switched from Atco to Cecil the amount of guaranteed money required almost doubled and we can’t just wait until track day to find out if we are left with a bag of crap in our hands because not enough guys showed up. This way if we don’t have enough guys we will know 3-4 weeks before hand so we can scramble to get more vehicles.

Why can’t guys just sign up and pay early?
It also wasn’t always $200 a pop. It was $170 if you signed up before September 7th.

and $150 a pop doesn’t cover a spot
I was not talking about leaving it totally open to people showing up at the gate or not, I meant get your pre paid people together, get your final paid numbers and deadlines out of the way then see if your short or not and then decide to open up gate entry to those who can make it last minute.

People such as myself cant fork over $200 a few months or a month out because our schedules can change without notice. Between business and personal schedules its not easy to lock that Friday in early and dont forget its a Friday as well so that makes it even harder for those that have to request time off. And to be totally honest its alot of money for a TNT day, especially when you can hit up Cecil on a regular TNT for about $40. Trust me I'm not knocking the efforts or the event but your really not offering up alot for that dollar amount especially when you consider MIR has similar track rentals on Friday for $100-$130 per person with no advance payment needed.

How many cars do you need paid before your covered on the rental? How many do you have coming? not just on this list as I'm sure there are others. Thanks,

JJ

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don’t have to prepay people won’t. I watched Dave struggle for years.

The list is it (well there is one guy not on the list here on LR because I can’t edit the post) so 18 guys are coming as of right now.

We could have went to Atco for $150 each but that’s an open track rental (like MIR) and we can’t control how many vehicles are there or what kind of vehicles they are.

Spookfest has always been a closed track rental and has always had full track prep and that’s what guys expect.

As far as guys forking out $200 a month in advance we’ll how about the guy who has to guarantee thousands hoping that guys like you “might” be able to get off or come up with $200. That’s not Fair! You say we’re not offering much for that kind of money but that’s what we’re being charged. We do this to keep the community together, we make ZERO money.

This is the last year I’m doing Spookfest. If there is another one, I might show up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
JJ, you've been to a few of the Spookfest rentals years ago. You know they are completely different then a Friday night TnT. There is no ricers having oil downs every other run. The track is fully preped all the way out. There's no BS going on in the pits. The track is open for 8 hrs as opposed to 4 or 5 hrs on a TnT night. There is basically no waiting in the lanes. As far a MIR goes, there was a few guys who didn't want to go to Cecil because it was to far, I doubt they would want to go to MIR.
It's also the last DelValLO event going, I would have thought you and some other shops would be fully supporting it. Since you guys do have an impressive Lightning history.
I'm not looking to start an argument just explaining.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I would think y'all would have your paid up front list and also allow for anyone that happens to show to pay at the gate.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think y'all would have your paid up front list and also allow for anyone that happens to show to pay at the gate.
When you do that even less people pay up front. The only reason 18 guys have paid (16+ Brett & I) is because of the cutoff. If there were no cutoff there would probably on be 10 guys paid up. Everyone just waits until the last minute to see if they “feel like coming” or if the weather is perfect or if their truck is ready or if they can take off.

We’re not putting out thousands hoping guys “feel like” coming. This will be the last DelValLO Spookfest.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
JJ, you've been to a few of the Spookfest rentals years ago. You know they are completely different then a Friday night TnT. There is no ricers having oil downs every other run. The track is fully preped all the way out. There's no BS going on in the pits. The track is open for 8 hrs as opposed to 4 or 5 hrs on a TnT night. There is basically no waiting in the lanes. As far a MIR goes, there was a few guys who didn't want to go to Cecil because it was to far, I doubt they would want to go to MIR.
It's also the last DelValLO event going, I would have thought you and some other shops would be fully supporting it. Since you guys do have an impressive Lightning history.
I'm not looking to start an argument just explaining.
I totally understand trust me.

I had no idea this was the last spookfest. I've only been to one or two others in the past up at ATCO.

I get the private track rental part of it and I would love to support it by going, its just that my personal and business schedule will not allow me to pay that amount up front and risk losing it if something comes up.

JJ

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
When you do that even less people pay up front. The only reason 18 guys have paid (16+ Brett & I) is because of the cutoff. If there were no cutoff there would probably on be 10 guys paid up. Everyone just waits until the last minute to see if they “feel like coming” or if the weather is perfect or if their truck is ready or if they can take off.

We’re not putting out thousands hoping guys “feel like” coming. This will be the last DelValLO Spookfest.
Last? Unfortunate but understandable. Here's to it being the best one ever! Did Fred Decker get signed up? Would like to see vids of him racing John's truck.

·
Administrator
18,163 Posts
Jamie, send me PM on the added racer. I will update the list.

Don't bet on it being the "last" DelValLO Spookfest. Uncle Frank is working on a return to Atco.

As far as paying? Yep. Nobody pays until they absolutely have to in most cases. I run into this with all my volleyball programs. You must set cut-off dates. Of course I understand the difficulties committing on a weekday months out as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Jim, the only way Atco will give up that date, Friday before Halloween, is if we guarantee 40 cars or are willing to drop $5k.... that's not happening. We have been down this road with them twice.
They told UF we can bring everyone there... but, they are still having their open rental. So I would be a typical TnT day. It would not be just us.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Jim, the only way Atco will give up that date, Friday before Halloween, is if we guarantee 40 cars or are willing to drop $5k.... that's not happening. We have been down this road with them twice.
They told UF we can bring everyone there... but, they are still having their open rental. So I would be a typical TnT day. It would not be just us.
I am going this Friday to 1 of there open rentals and they barely have 15 cars but I guess that can change but if under 20 cars with spookfest 20 cars still not a bad day

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going this Friday to 1 of there open rentals and they barely have 15 cars but I guess that can change but if under 20 cars with spookfest 20 cars still not a bad day
It’s all about what’s going on that weekend when it comes to the Friday open track rental at Atco.

We have had that last Friday for spookfest for over a decade but when the new owners took over at Atco they realize that that was a moneymaking day for them and took our day away from us after all these years.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Have it on another Friday ?
Maybe reach out to the vendors and get them to participate or donate prices to entice people to want to come. Having it on a different Friday is better then not having it at all.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I totally get the cutoff thing. I am just confused about something. If you already have enough guys to cover the rental now and there are guys that are making their decision late due to work, personal or whatever, why would you reject them. So if I decided 2 days before I could make it why can't I race?

As far as the Atco thing, I could care less what day of the week it is on. And it does not have to be before Halloween. In fact later is better for weather. The last few years has been unseasonably warm. We need to make this fun again. Have some food, do a 50/50 and put some $ away for next years SF, contact some vendors, do some prizes, etc.... I don't really agree with the spectator fee thing but if we do one we should be putting that $$ towards funding stuff for the following years. Nobody should have to take $ out of there own pocket for anything but there are ways to build up a kitty to make this more attractive every year.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,457 Posts
Have it on another Friday? You guys do realize where the SPOOKFEST name came from right? It's ALWAYS been the Friday before halloween, and it has nearly ALWAYS been excellent prime racing weather. That time of year is almost a guarantee slam dunk for ideal racing weather. Far enough into the fall that you're not having a random heat wave (it was over 90* two days ago!), far enough in that you're not in a rainy/hurricane risk like Sept, but early enough that you're not at risk of it being sub-freezing temps like the early Nov races can be. ABM Nats/SSOTN/JLP Fall event can be hit or miss with early winter weather. Spookfest is about the latest you can have an event for the highest odds of coolest temps, without being too cold, without being a wet time of year, without being potential heat waves. That's why Atco took it over as a money maker event for them with an open rental to anyone. Spookfest became really such an awesome event because of the timing and weather, not just any random Friday with some disgruntled LIghtning owners. Idk how Dude can say the last few years were unseasonably warm, SF last year was in the high 30's all morning, that's almost too cold, and wasn't the JLP event cancelled last fall because of snow/ice just 2 weeks later in Nov? You really can't push SF any later without making it risky of being too cold, and it'd also then step on the JLP Fall shootout. You could make it earlier, but then you also risk potential rain or oddball heat wave weather.

While I'd still try to support a rental on another Friday, as the more L events the better, if it's not right around that Halloween timing, it's not truly Spookfest. And not just for the name, but for the timing of conditions and weather. Very end of Oct is really the best you're going to get, and November becomes iffy. Also making it any other day than a Friday is tough. More people can make a long weekend than they can a random middle of the week track day.

As for opening it up to pay at the gate, that's a tough one. If you don't make it mandatory to pay in advance, most people wait to pay, then the organizers can't prepare and know if they'll make the cutoff # before the cutoff date and end up out money. They would NOT have 18 paid up by now if not for the mandatory pay in advance rule, they'd have maybe 8. Even offering a discount to pay in advance isn't incentive enough, as I'd rather pay at the gate and pay $30 more with 100% of the control on if I'm going and spending the money, than risk paying in advance and risk losing $170 if I can't make it. The $30 extra is cheap insurance, so even with a discount, most still would pay at the gate. However, change the rules once the cutoff is met, to then allow pay at the gate? Well then I know next year I'm sure as heck not paying in advance and I'd just wait till the gate too lol.

Long story short, you guys have to think of this from the organizer's side. This is a tough one to pull off, with a community with fading interest. It's not like the early years where you KNOW you'd definitely have a solid turnout no matter what, so things could be open ended. The vendors are not as active these days with throwing out funding to support an event or do raffles and prizes, and even if they were, it's work to coordinate that, and who's stepping up to do it? I see people tossing ideas but not stepping up to run it. It takes no effort to toss out an idea, but it takes time and effort to run it to completion. I can fully understand the organizers bowing out after this year. I did the DelValLO winter bash and trophies a few years ago, and even though it was only reserving a room at a restaurant, the amount of work between dealing with drama, dealing with complaints, some folks not happy and willing to complain yet not wiling to help, money out of pocket and TIME spent to build the most badazz trophies and barely getting gratitude after all the work, it's just not worth it to try and keep a club on life support if the majority isn't on board with helping things move forward.

Enjoy the last dedicated SF, the community and turnout may not be what it once was, but it's still that awesome time of year for prime weather. I suggest next year we maybe reassess how exactly SF is handled based on the state of the community these days. Perhaps the full dedicated L-specific event isn't worth the effort these days with the majority pointing out what's wrong with it in their opinion, rather than the majority being on board with it. Next year maybe we can just piggy back the open-Atco rental since that's what most are pointing to. It'll be more cars, it'll be more wait in the lanes, but maybe we can get a staging lane reserved for us. Then nobody needs to honcho the whole deal, and it's just carve out a small section of an existing event. Keeps an element of SF with the timing and weather, keeps the dwindling L community still coordinated for a track day, it's just not as exclusive as before, but if that's what the majority wants, why fight an uphill battle for nothing but frustration and headaches for months on end trying to organize it?

Then as everyone sits in the lanes waiting for some chitbox oil down to get cleaned up, we can reminisce about the old private rental days lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts