Lightning Rodder banner

L&M cams

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  JJ@WMS 
#1 ·
Just wanted opinions on these cams and contact info. I'm new here and did a search but found maybe one thread that was really old and didn't want to brig it back up. I found this video and in the comments someone said the cams were a custom grind from WMS down in Maryland. Any opinions or info is aappreciated.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=rKJfoo-7Kdk

#5 ·
L&M is a there own company out of PA. WMS uses them for there custom cams on some of the builds he does. I have a custom grind L&M cams that are bigger than a stage 3 cam.

#7 ·
http://youtu.be/zn3f2HKvAbo . They dont sound bad with 2.5 full JDM exhuast I currently have. Ill be upgrading after the cage install.

#12 ·
Carmelo's build has L&M cams. Ask him what he thinks of his torque numbers lol

#21 ·
Up the boost and put it on race fuel(something that has to be done to run a number and or dyno numbers for other stage xx cams) and you will see where that combo shines.:p

Brad's numbers show the potential of the L+M grinds. Keep in mind that it was his first track outing on the new combo. Numbers should improve.

Thunderstruck layed down very consistant nine second times with L+M cams.

They seem to work well if willing to lighten the truck or increase RPMs. Typical of most traditional performance camshafts. Jim
The L&M cams we used in Thunderstruck were specific to that trucks cylinder head/valvespring combination that nobody else has ever run and were designed for high rpm. It didnt take a lightweight truck to run those cams and we proved what a stock displacement "normal race weight" truck can run time and time again with no breakage. We also had alot of room to grow and were just glimpsing what that combo could have done.

L&M can have a custom grind made for pretty much any combination and thats why we use them for our builds. :bigtu We have been very happy with the results.

JJ

#13 ·
Yeah man it sound righteous and love the chop sound. Just curious how well they respond in the low range/mid range level and on through the higher RPM's...

My first build I chose to go with Stage III (IV) but Pat at PSI advised against it. According to Pat the Stage two are perfect for the street/track and he mentioned that there's not much more power gain unless you are really pushing the needle in the higher RPM's. Even then the power gains are minimal from what i was explained. Maybe somebody has some numbers can vouch the performance level on these big boys...

I would be anxious to see Stage II vs Stage IV cam based on dyno numbers.

#14 ·
Hi everyone my name is Carmelo and I have L&m cams :smt023 love my trucks performance sounds great w 3inch exhaust. But they are deffnetly not my first choice. They came w my truck when I bought it. My hp is up there but my torq is not up to par. They are custom grind w one perpose only. To run down Harley 356 n take his spot :scared003 if I bad the money I would go w Jlp custom cams for more drivesability n performance.

#17 ·
LMAO!!!! I know your truck is swiss cheesed with massive holes in the bed and cab to save some weight, but you ain't going to run me down when you make the same hp as me, and 100 ft-lbs of less torque! :ronbowoohoo

You don't need to give up torque to gain horsepower! You can have your cake and eat it too with our 2V heads :rockon_ford

#15 ·
Brad's numbers show the potential of the L+M grinds. Keep in mind that it was his first track outing on the new combo. Numbers should improve.

Thunderstruck layed down very consistant nine second times with L+M cams.

They seem to work well if willing to lighten the truck or increase RPMs. Typical of most traditional performance camshafts. You give up low end, big torque numbers. But that could prove beneficial in launch control as HP goes up and track times fall. Carmello's truck(Ronnie's old truck) will let us learn a bit more, as well as Brad's continued progress.

Personally, I am not a fan of big cams on a heavy street truck. I run JDM stage 2 cams(old style) and simply love their versatility. They don't hold me back too much at the strip, either...

Jim

#16 ·
i called him about grinding me a set! he told me no such thing as stage 4 cams....he custom grinds the larger cams to specs....you must have the spings,set up height,and coil bind height. super nice and knows his stuff...but he wanted close to 900 bucks to grind me a set...and it was gonna take a while...so i went another route

#22 ·
I was running that same cam combo w my old truck. Ported eaton w comp 3s. And the idle was nuts love them. I made over 500 hp. Best time was 11.6 in over drive thanks Harley 356 :bigtu. N it still had more potential to run better times. Rip lol

#19 ·
Jim Im still 700 shy of my cage fund, I should be ready in September for the cage but who know maybe sooner. I wont be racing at spookfest but maybe a street day/night in November. I think If I could have pullied up some at the last track outing, I could have pulled some lower 10sec times.

#24 ·
"The L&M cams we used in Thunderstruck were specific to that trucks cylinder head/valvespring combination that nobody else has ever run"

According to Ronnie the cams in my truck are the same as thunder struck. And Ronnie is not the only person that has said that to me. I was told that a few sets were made to see how they performed w different combos.

#25 ·
They are not the same sorry. I know Ronnie has said that numerous times and believes it to be true but I know for a fact they are not the same. You have great cams no doubt.

We used a dual valvespring setup that allowed us to use a much more aggressive cam with much higher RPM capability.

If anyone has any questions about these cams or wants to know for sure that these two sets of cams were different please call L&M direct. 215-675-8485

JJ

#28 ·
Arthur at AVT knows for sure they are not the same cams because I have spoken to him numerous times about Ronnies combo.

Put it this way, you cant run the kind of lift we were running without dual valvesprings and Ronnies heads did not have them. Thunderstrucks were one of a kind with Pro stock Motorcycle valvesprings that were 165 installed and 365 open, it also had custom made retainers.

As I said, if anyone thinks they are the same call Michael at L&M.

JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.