Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my new KC a couple of weeks ago, including the new and improved orifice tube, and I'm not real thrilled with the outcome.

It was probably 100-102 outside when we charged it up and the water going back into my JLP tank was right around 74-76*.
my inside vents were blowing at a warm 72*.

We went back and added a little more freon and it seemed to improve a bit but still very uncomfortable to drive.

The A/C sucks so bad that I hadn't even had the truck out since the install. Before I installed the KC it would freeze your ass off.

Has anybody else had problems with their air conditioner temps after installing the new orifice tube's?

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used r134.

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many of you use the recommended industrial type freon?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a gen1 killer chiller and have not installed the new orifice tube yet. That being said, here in FL in mid to upper 90's I see fluid temps in my JLP reservoir get down to the low 60's. But I also have the tank and all lines insulated and using industrial 12a refrigerant. I will say my AC doesn't start cooling good until the reservoir fluid temp gets into the 60's. It starts out blowing somewhere near ambient but cools down when the fluid does. I'm hoping the new tube will improve the in cab cooling some more. As a side note, when ambient temps are much lower, say 60 degress or lower, I have seen the fluid temps reach the high 30's.

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm not real sure what the benefit is/was for the new style orifice tube but since I hadn't ever had the KC installed I thought I would use the newest parts available, That being said I opted to go with the new tube.
I didn't however want to use a freon that I feel is not designed for our trucks so I chose to stay with the r134.

If in fact I see where most of the guys have used the industrial freon without any short/long time issues and it increases the cooling temps then I may be inclined to do the same.

I have noticed that the cab cooling does take a while before it really starts to cool and now that you mentioned it, it may be after the temps start dropping off in the reservoir.

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
Im sure if/when Joe comes in this thread he will want to know what your high and low side pressures were to know if anything can be done to help in-cab cooling

·
JTBtheSISSY thinks his cobras fast.
4,002 Posts
I'm pretty sure i recall him saying you need the industrial freon on the new setup.

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chesster... what kind of temps are you seeing at your cab vents?

How many of you are using the industrial 12a freon?

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im sure if/when Joe comes in this thread he will want to know what your high and low side pressures were to know if anything can be done to help in-cab cooling
I called Joe the day we charged it and he spoke with my friend who charged the system for me and from the way he talked everything sounded fine too him.

A few days later we went back and added more freon, it made it tolerable to drive but is still blowing at best cool air.

I'd have to look at the gauge again but from what I can remember the high side was around 270-290 and the low side around 40ish.

Before we added more freon the low side would drop down to about 22-25ish and my friend said that if it drops that low that it could shut down the low side pressure switch or something like that.
So that's when we decided to add a bit more freon, now my low side stays right around the 33 lb mark at 2500rpm.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
I have both orifice tubes so I'm trying to see which is my best option...

This isn't a race ruck nor is it as fast as my other cars that warrant bad cooling or no A/C at all.. I don't think I could bare this thing without the way the cab heats up so damn quickly. Might be a Killer Chiller FS/FT soon lol.. Anyone got an exhaust they wanna trade? >=P.. No seriously..

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It will be diminished, no doubt. This is a compromise. You can tip the balance towards in cab cooling or intercooler cooling. But you won't maximize both.

Jim
I keep hearing that you can have one or the other but how is that possible?

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not to sound dumb but did your friend pull a vacuum on the system and what's the temperature directly coming out of 1 of your air vents. I'm using the new upgrades and do not have any problems (No industrial freon)
Yes a vacuum was pulled and everything was stable...no leaks!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
jezz...iam sorry to hear that.....I saw on the news today you guys have been over 100 going on 40 days now?

us too in chicago had some 105 days a couple weeks ago....really gets in te way of you doing anything.

have you considered going back to your old setup??

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jezz...iam sorry to hear that.....I saw on the news today you guys have been over 100 going on 40 days now?

us too in chicago had some 105 days a couple weeks ago....really gets in te way of you doing anything.

have you considered going back to your old setup??
Hot indeed!! Lol.

Fortunately this isn't my daily driver so it's not like I'm having to suffer in these 108* days.

I have been wondering though if I should try using the stock orifice tube although if that isn't my problem then it would be a waste of time and freon and that's not cheap.

I also want to hear from guys who are using a KC and what freon they used, is there a big difference between 134 and the industrial stuff?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.