Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a question on my soon to become a reality KB install.
What pulley combos are most running to remain street oriented, and how much boost can you add before kicking up fuel delivery and octane? Thanks in advance, Howie

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am not sure what your asking, but I will try to help. First, if you are completely stock and are buying a Kenne Bell, you need a tuner to reprogram your computer for the increased air flow your MAF is about to see. I suppose if you where going to keep the boost around 12lbs or lower your MAF may keep up with factory programming, but why risk a blown motor to keep from spending some bucks on a programmer.

If your modded to some extent already, we need to know what you have already done to the truck. My MAF ran out of voltage at around 17-18lbs of total boost. Pulley combos to achieve X amount of boost are listed on the KB web sight.

As for how much everyone else runs, the question begs to get 750 answers along with several replies designed more to impress other readers than to help you...LOL.

Give us some more info on your set up and we can be more helpful.

Rocks :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realized after posting... I have a stock '00 with full long tube exhaust on now. I have C&L complete intake system to put on (95mm cai, inlet, upper intake), billet idler kit to put on, and 9" crank pulley to put on. I am getting newer model maf and Predator tuner to go with my set up. I don't know if I'll have to go down to 8" crank pulley to keep boost down, or rely on tuning a little 'soft'. I see my timing question was answered in another post. Thanks, Howie

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
As 03 said, answers will vary greatly

I can only add that I tried to not change my pumps and it didn't work for me, and that was with a Mag. The KB is of course a larger displacement SC

I couldn't tune mine Saturday more than @475/600 right now because it was getting dangerously lean with the stock pumps, (I have Injectors and a Maf Extender)
8lb lower/2.7 upper/22lbs of boost

I would venture to guess anything more than 450 on the stock pumps will be pushing it with the KB. Every L on this planet will be diff with the timing, but 16 is always a good place to start.

CONGRATS mnhh505 :smt023, you got yourself a Beast on your hands, WOO HOO :smt026

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob 02, Is the maf extender useable on the earlier maf or best used with 90mm? Are you running out of fuel
due to the 22lbs of boost? I'm figuring max 18.5 lbs with 9" crank & 3" sc pulleys, although I am still considering at least adding a boost-a-pump. Also how big injectors? Thanks, Howie

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Howie

I have 50lb Injectors, they're fine for waaaaaaaay more HP that I currently have.
I'll be spraying 150 HP on top of that, but injectors play no part there.

I would imagine the Maf Extender works on any Maf. JJ of Woodbine Motorsports sells them (he's a Vendor right here), thats where I got mine. Post and ask, or e-mail him
[email protected]

As for running out of Fuel due to Boost, don't see that being a problem, it just seems were at the doorway where the Pumps simply cant keep up at WOT high RPM. I'm fine all the way up to @5K, but then the AF just refuses to play nice. The highest we ever hit on the Maf was 4.6 Volts.

For yourself I would def recommend 60lb Injectors and the Pumps, that KB is a Monster and much bigger in displacement, As for Octane, you should only be running 93-94 Octane 24/7, and I would imagine you'll be @ 14-16 degrees timing for the street. A Race Program will have more timing and need more octane. PREPAIR FOR TAKE OFF, WOO HOO................

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, man. That is great info. Holy crap, tho- I would have thought maybe 50 lb injectors, but I haven't purchased yet. And OH YEAH!!! I want that throw me back in the seat torque!!! :)
I have another question I'll pm you.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
50's ARE FINE you can DEF go 50's. I know MANY people running them with over 600HP and running 10's with NO fuel delivery problems.

Many say going to 60's is the better move, I didn't because of price and fear of losing drivability, "BUT" most tuners now know how to tune them and that prob is pretty much gone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks bobver. It looks like you have basically the type of setup I am thinking about. I may have to rethink the boost level and reconfigure pulley set for KB to remain around 15 lbs. Any idea who has pulley combo chart or info for KB upgrade that includes 8.0 & 8.5 crank pulleys rather than just 7.5 & 9.0? KB tech has been so busy I haven't gotten thru yet.
and Rob, I still plan on picking your brain a little if you don't mind. Howie

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
KB, stock block, MAF extender and a good tune will get you plenty of reliable power without worrying about blowing up.

Safe boost level and upgraded pumps/injectors are always recommended.

If there is anything I can do to help you in your quest for more power, just give me a call. :smt023 :smt023

[email protected]
410-259-8737

·
Registered
12 Posts
bobver, you should have someone look at your tune. i've got your stuff, but the maf extender and at 4500-4600 rpm i'm pegged on the maf @ 5V and make your numbers right now with a 10/1 air/fuel ratio. and i'm @2400 asl. you should be getting close to 620-630hp.
just my .03 cents

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
cal50, It is detuned a bit during the motor breakin - only have 300 miles. I also have a larger upper pulley for now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the responses and info. It is very helpful and is providing me with great info to try and absorb for future use.
JJ, I will probably give you a call. I obviously have questions and could use a little 'guidance' like - What is safe boost level? Will maf extenderreplace 90mm?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a KB this weekend, and was interested on some opinions for safe boost levels, afr, and timing for stock block. I have gutted cats, catback, 4# lower, normal bolt ons. I was planning to run 4# lower and 3# upper KB pulley. I was leaning toward 15 degrees timing, and aft around 11.8. Trying to get some exacts to tell my tuner, all info is appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Matt, I called JJ at his invite and he was super informative and helpful. He is extremely easy to talk to. I have pm'd with Rob02 and he is also extremely helpful. Either will be able to give you great info or steer you to someone who can. I have learned some valuable stuff by communicating on this site.
I believe that I have developed a more realistic plan and will be more likely to achieve my goals due to this forum and members.
Kudos to the moderators for such a great resource. Howie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts