Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just polished my inlet in under 2 hours with a material cost of apx. $15.00.

440 grit  sand paper on an electric random orbital sander moderate to heavy elbow grease and mothers aluminum polish.

does have some shadows so will re do when i get a buffing wheel.

Does anybody know should i clear coat it?

Russell
2004 lightning

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Beeeeeeeeeeautiful  :smt023 :smt023
Nice job Russell, I love it  :cheers:

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
That thing looks sweet.

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
you dont need to clear coat it. unless it is not aluminum but i think it is so you should be ok...

that thing looks sweet dude

the kid

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To correct myself i used 220 grit sandpaper not the 440 grit. 440 grit would make it an all day job.

:smt021

Russell
2004 lightning.
moderatly rodded.

·
Registered
734 Posts
silversvt said:
To correct myself i used 220 grit sandpaper not the 440 grit. 440 grit would make it an all day job.

:smt021

Russell
2004 lightning.

moderatly rodded.
Any tips you would care to share? I'm gonna do my C&L intake this weekend.

Suavy

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
damn 220 got you that??? i am at 320 after starting at 100 and its not nearly that good
guess i need to get a better sander cause my hand is killing me

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 220 i used i got from home depot "Norton 3x ( their best for fine sanding of bare surfaces, primer and sealer sanding)
5'' disk " It was not a wet dry paper. the random orbital sander is a bosh and runs 12000/14000 rpm

I sat in a deck chair and with the inlet on my lap and leaned into the sander and worked it hard.
The paper dulls fast and begins to sort of buff the inlet. I tried to hand sanding by
hand with 400 grit and it lost the luster but had a satin finish. Back to the sander and the dull pads.
Working the sander harder with the dull paper seems best. After the casting marks and pits are gone.
Mothers aluminum paste and several dozen shop towels, gave some more hand polish today apx. 1/2 hour
Comparing it to the last months installed polished throttle body it is 85%.

I'm undecided whether to leave it as is and reinstall it or purchase a buffer and grinder wheel and
get that last 15%.

If the inlet is not getting warm when sanding...........push harder.

Russell

a little bit of lightning :smt027 a little bit of thunder

and some bling

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
yah i have the same paper but i need to bust out the sander now, its smoother than a babys butt now but not shiney yet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks awesome, want to polish some stuff for me

hehe

·
Registered
427 Posts
Good Job [smilie=fingersx.gif]

You can make it look even better by using progressively finer grit paper....I final polish my stuff with 1500-2000 then polishing compound.

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
KB ZILLA said:
Good Job [smilie=fingersx.gif]

You can make it look even better by using progressively finer grit paper....I final polish my stuff with 1500-2000 then polishing compound.
thats what i am on my way to doing

·
Registered
427 Posts
lightninmike said:
KB ZILLA said:
Good Job  [smilie=fingersx.gif]

thats what i am on my way to doing
Cool, be sure to post pics when your done!! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts