Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i just got my HD it gots 106k now i put on about 10k in four months after i got it and now the a/c bend doors dont work just stays at the deforest, the over drive bottom dont work, auto lights dont work, and the horn doesnt work. any in put will help. i check the fuse on the horn and over drive its blown but when i put another one on it keeps popping it. im sure something is shorted but what?

·
Forged Internals, like Roses to Men
1,099 Posts
Short is in the steering column. very common issue with these trucks. The O/D button rubbs against the column and knocks the insulation off. Then it just pops fuses until it is fixed.

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
a few people have had issues with the AC stuck on defrost lately..have you double checked the vacuum lines to all that? might be as simple as a broken or disconnected line?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Quick fix on the A/C is to pull the radio surround and stick your hand down inside the vent. Wedge the blend door open with a piece of foam or something that will hold it open and you will always have cool air until you can figure out the gremlin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a few people have had issues with the AC stuck on defrost lately..have you double checked the vacuum lines to all that? might be as simple as a broken or disconnected line?
i check all the vacuum lines and they look fine. where else can i check i check by the battery next to the fire wall.

·
Eat.Sleep.Lightning.
838 Posts
just kidding, are the knobs actually turning the dial, it could be stripped, before you rip out the dash, pull the knob off and turn the dial first.its a long shot but a possibility

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts
just kidding, are the knobs actually turning the dial, it could be stripped, before you rip out the dash, pull the knob off and turn the dial first.its a long shot but a possibility
Harley doesn't have knobs like the L. It has an automatic climate control. I had the same prob the op is having. I'm on my phone now but there is a how-to for replacing the seals in climate control unit... Very easy. Fixed my problem.

Od is probally the shorted wire mentioned before. Had the same issue in a diff truck. Horn probaly got unplugged?

Wait a second... Does the horn now turn the od on/off? LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Harley doesn't have knobs like the L. It has an automatic climate control. I had the same prob the op is having. I'm on my phone now but there is a how-to for replacing the seals in climate control unit... Very easy. Fixed my problem.

Od is probally the shorted wire mentioned before. Had the same issue in a diff truck. Horn probaly got unplugged?

the horn worked b4, even when the od was shorted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

where is the how to on the auto climate control thing? is it on this forum?

·
Registered
264 Posts
climate control problem is more than likely the actuators on the head unit itsslef. very common issue. the orings get worn over time and allow it to leak. the system goes into defrost mode by default so the windshield will stay clear. I think I have an extra set of actualtors with new orings. Where are you located? If you are interested i can make you a write up and send you the pieces and see if that fixes it. Would just have you send me your stuff if it all worked fine.

Joe

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts
yeah thats me. the HD is my new tow machine
Well from a fellow long time h-ter...welcome to LR. My sn over there dohc_crex... I don't post much any more but am still very much into hondas I'm knee deep in a b20 crx.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
not to worry people who have had their's for awhile they are having all sorts of crap going wrong, it happens to all of us.

·
Registered
884 Posts
ok i just got my HD it gots 106k now i put on about 10k in four months after i got it and now the a/c bend doors dont work just stays at the deforest, the over drive bottom dont work, auto lights dont work, and the horn doesnt work. any in put will help. i check the fuse on the horn and over drive its blown but when i put another one on it keeps popping it. im sure something is shorted but what?
Yours sounds like the stalk wire is rubbing...

I had an issue with the O/D light flashing and threw some codes. Was advised I needed a solenoid pack. Went and bought the part, messed with the wire in the stalk, checked all fuses, loaded my factory tune back in and the re-loaded the tune.

Prior to dropping the pan, I took it out for another test run, and same chit...trans was slipping, O/D light flashing, etc...

During all my testing and trying to find the problem with the tech tool, I drained the battery. Rather than charge it I ran out and bought another Optima. Installed it, fired up the truck. Check engine light turned off, O/D light stopped flashing, and truck has run fine ever since and that was about 4 months ago.

I know this has nothing to do with your situation but wanted to share!! LOL A low battery (Even if your truck starts and runs fine) can cause the truck to do funny things.... Glad I never dropped the pan and installed the $250 pack as it turned out to be just the battery / voltage causing the ECU to play tricks on the tranny.

As for the A/C, mine was blowing out of the defrost so I pulled the unit, replaced all the O-rings, replaced the entire vac harness and checked everything I know about in regards to the A/C system and still would only blow out of the defrost.

So I wedge a piece of foam down in the vent behind the radio to keep the blend door open and has given me cold A/C for months now but am unable to use the other buttons still to date.

I will soon buy another control unit and try that but thus far the piece of foam is working...

Hope you get yours figured out...

·
180 Posts
Yours sounds like the stalk wire is rubbing...

I had an issue with the O/D light flashing and threw some codes. Was advised I needed a solenoid pack. Went and bought the part, messed with the wire in the stalk, checked all fuses, loaded my factory tune back in and the re-loaded the tune.

Prior to dropping the pan, I took it out for another test run, and same chit...trans was slipping, O/D light flashing, etc...

During all my testing and trying to find the problem with the tech tool, I drained the battery. Rather than charge it I ran out and bought another Optima. Installed it, fired up the truck. Check engine light turned off, O/D light stopped flashing, and truck has run fine ever since and that was about 4 months ago.

I know this has nothing to do with your situation but wanted to share!! LOL A low battery (Even if your truck starts and runs fine) can cause the truck to do funny things.... Glad I never dropped the pan and installed the $250 pack as it turned out to be just the battery / voltage causing the ECU to play tricks on the tranny.

As for the A/C, mine was blowing out of the defrost so I pulled the unit, replaced all the O-rings, replaced the entire vac harness and checked everything I know about in regards to the A/C system and still would only blow out of the defrost.

So I wedge a piece of foam down in the vent behind the radio to keep the blend door open and has given me cold A/C for months now but am unable to use the other buttons still to date.

I will soon buy another control unit and try that but thus far the piece of foam is working...

Hope you get yours figured out...

not like ya care good buddy but rich my buddy (tpr103) has one brand new he is trying to sell for 40bux shipped.. i can ship out to ya if ya want it... give jake beer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts