Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More bad news today from the machine shop, EVERYONE of my Exhaust Valve Guides were bad, real bad, like 10 times more the clearance than acceptable spec, WTF ???

I know everyone is fast to blame Nitrous for all my problems, but I DONT. And even if I wanted to, (which I don't) I would have to point it at the Zex Kit because I ran that for like 2 years, the Race Tested Kit has only been to the track twice.

But me and Sal talked a while today, ( poor guy :D ) and even he agrees that these issues may just ALL BE normal wear and tear. I say normal wear and tear meaning normal wear and tear on 500+ rwhp stock blocks (reguardless of how you make the 500 HP)

Valve guides are very cheap and inexpensive to replace, especially since the heads are all apart, but after talking with Sal and hearing his conversation with the Machine Shop, we
all agreed if the Stock POS CI guides only lasted 12K, it pays to go an extra $80.00 more for these.

Aluminum-silicone-bronze is by far the most superior valve guide material availible. Taking up to 10 times longer to wear over cast iron guides. All guides are micro finished and quility controled to .0005" tolerance.

These will be Drilled and Bored FOR MY VALVES and to the exact spec's

God I hope these bad news phone calls stop soon, hehehehehe

·
A.K.A. SneakerWhore
2,479 Posts
damn Rob, when it rains it pours....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Performance is always never ending. Add a power adder and then you need a higher flowing fuel supply. Now you have to much exhaust and the exhaust needs upgrading. Can't get the power to the pavement and so the suspension needs work.

If only we were all rich. [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Registered
734 Posts
When I had my heads done the first time the had 96K on them and my whole engine was still in good shape. Guides were fine to?

·
Registered
14 Posts
well atleast is wont cost a ton and now you'll be ready...other than that when do you expect to be running your new beast Rob?

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW on 96K Suavy and all was well  [smilie=eek4.gif]

Belive me, finding so much wrong, with a L that was running so flawless when we took it apart, (@12K on it) has me really thinking WHY ??? If I'd have to guess, I DEF would have to blame it on over 2 years of WOT shift points of 5700 - 6000 RPM.

So I guess it's time to lower the shift point a little  [smilie=3gears.gif]

ND4SPD, glad to see you hear Bro  [smilie=wavey.gif]
I'd say I'll be driving it with-in the next 4-6 weeks  [smilie=fingersx.gif]

And OH YA V, we ARE going to have some fun
and Me and My LOONY Brother's J + Josh, (Chim + Blown) are going to REALLY kick some JLO butt this season  [smilie=popcorn.gif]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:

Belive me, finding so much wrong, with a L that was running so flawless when we took it apart, (@12K on it) has me really thinking WHY ??? If I'd have to guess, I DEF would have to blame it on over 2 years of WOT shift points of 5700 - 6000 RPM.

and Me and My LOONY Brother's J + Josh, (Chim + Blown) are going to REALLY kick some JLO butt this season  [smilie=popcorn.gif]
You bet ya!!!!! [smilie=laugh.gif]

·
A.K.A. SneakerWhore
2,479 Posts
Damn SKIPPY BABY....
Jay, when you gettin a new cell for me to be able to get ahold of you on ???

·
Registered
426 Posts
Rob,

What type of oil did you run?

Just about the only two things I can think of for that excessive wear would be oil starvation and to a lesser degree high rpms.
You did'nt like... go wot with a bone cold motor several hundred times did you?  [smilie=fingersx.gif]

Rich

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rich

I was having this conversation with Chris on the phone last night.
In a few weeks my L is officially 3 years old, has 12K+ on it. I swear to You and every entire person out there, in those 3 years I have never ever one time had to add a drop of oil, nor a drop of ANY fluid for that matter period. My fuel filter and oil + filter  is changed at 3K NO MATTER WHAT, and I've never gone over.

Now as for what type of oil, I switched to fully syn at 3K, then used semi syn the next few times (since I was changing it so often) 

Never a tap, never a sound, never a beat skipped.
The SOB truly ran flawless.

I don't know if you know who Sal's machine shop is, but it's a full fledge Race Engine Shop, that has some extremely impressive work under their belt.

I'm partial to their1970 Chevelle S/S
7.71  ET @ 178.35 MPH.
The car weighs 3500 lbs, 632 cubic inch big block

They Do Street Monsters, NHRA Monsters, Oval Monsters, you name it,
point being, this guy is good, REAL GOOD, prob the best we got in NY.
Almost everything we found, are issues SOME machine shops or local engine builders may not have even caught, (or checked for). How many L bro's buy a short block and mount their heads on it without even checking them, or the decking for that matter. How many machines shops would even bother to check the exhaust guides when the only head work I was having done was Inserts.  Most would simply install the inserts, and bolt the heads back on. This guy is good, Sal is good, and no stone will be left un-turned, and I truly feel this will result in a truly awesome built motor. I have soooooooooo much faith, that by doing it this way,  and knowing WHO built my motor, exactly what was done, where it was done, and WHY, is going to make a huge difference.

As for the damage, I'd have to look back to those nights I watched that tach pinned at 6K and not shift yet (that issue was finally fixed when I installed the FTVB)

All I know is, I should have a few good years in her now  :smt033

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:

Yes that was the good stuff my troubles didn't start until the built set up came in to play! Have had 3 motors since!

This year is gonna be blessed for me though!
You guy keep your eye open for that dark grey snorkel!

Suavy

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know if you know who Sal's machine shop is, but it's a full fledge Race Engine Shop, that has some extremely impressive work under their belt.

I know how good they are !!They did work for my heads when i bent my valve.Great shop P.C.H.S.Top notch guys.They service alot of my friends motors for thier riverhead cars,chargers,modifieds..etc...My budy actually purchased Ritchies charger car and it still runs strong.They're building him a ford spec motor for this upcomming season.Should be great.I'm part of the pitcrew.lol.. :D

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chimshady1 said:
I know how good they are !!They did work for my heads when i bent my valve.Great shop P.C.H.S.Top notch guys.They service alot of my friends motors for thier riverhead cars,chargers,modifieds..etc...My budy actually purchased Ritchies charger car and it still runs strong.They're building him a ford spec motor for this upcomming season.Should be great.I'm part of the pitcrew.lol.. :D
Ya he does leave his mark doesn't he

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow, that's alot of wear. I'm surprised with that amount of wear and where you had that thing shifting that you didn't snap a valve spring or two. Hope more good news comes on the build. Cant wait for the finished product.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
So Rob how did these guides work for you??

·
Goats r sheep with handlebars!
1,906 Posts
The guides were shagged on the heads that came off my blown motor (80k miles), you can wiggle every valve a few MMs at the top.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW what a Blast from the Past :smt101

I guess I sometimes forget I changed my screen name so some of these post are from years ago and my old 02 Lightning (and some from the 99 too)

Boy oh Boy if I knew then what I know now..... :smt091

And DBL G, yes those valve guides worked out well
UNTIL THE BUILT MOTOR BLEW IN 1000 MILES @(&$^@([email protected]($%(@&$%(@&$%@($%@($&%@($&%@($&%@$(@%$($%(@&$

Cracked a Valve, scored a cylinder, started all over with a JDM built motor and then sold it (had @75K in that L) @$%@$%(@$

1 - 20 of 20 Posts