Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
JDM Built/KB 3.2
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made sure I have a vent hole in it which I did not when I purchased it. I called JLP and they had me drill a small hole in the side of the tank.

I probably have the tank about 60% full so the fluid is not right at the top at all. After a 20 minute drive I noticed the smell of coolant. When I parked I popped the hood and saw coolant that seeped out of the lid.

I have tightened the Allen screws down as well. Should I call JLP again or anyone have another idea? RTV the caps housing?

Attachments

·
AntiSocial
17 X3 35i, 18 Equinox LT 2.0T
809 Posts
Looks like you probably squeezed out the gasket when you tightened down the allens. These type of tanks use rubber gaskets that deform easily. A new gasket or RTV should seal it up no problem.

And just because I noticed it, I’d suggest putting something between that fitting and the upper radiator hose. Eventually it will wear through and you’ll have a mess and an overheated truck.

·
JDM Built/KB 3.2
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you probably squeezed out the gasket when you tightened down the allens. These type of tanks use rubber gaskets that deform easily. A new gasket or RTV should seal it up no problem.

And just because I noticed it, I’d suggest putting something between that fitting and the upper radiator hose. Eventually it will wear through and you’ll have a mess and an overheated truck.
I didn't tighten them until I noticed it was leaking and it was leaking alot worse before I tightened them. Looks like I will go the RTV route... Easy enough.

Good observation, I will address that fitting/hose for sure. Thank you! :bigtu

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,528 Posts
yeah that almost seems more like fluid leaking out of an un-sealed cap from it splashing around in the tank moreso than pressure building up. A bead of RTV should do the trick.

WHere in the side did you drill the tank? I've done mine with a 1/16" hole right in the dead middle of the lid of the tank.

·
JDM Built/KB 3.2
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah that almost seems more like fluid leaking out of an un-sealed cap from it splashing around in the tank moreso than pressure building up. A bead of RTV should do the trick.

WHere in the side did you drill the tank? I've done mine with a 1/16" hole right in the dead middle of the lid of the tank.
I called JLP and talked to Johnny himself... I forget where he told me too but it was near the top on the side with a small drill bit. I guess he said it should have two vent holes also one for the washer fluid which it does have (even though I never use the washer fluid)

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,156 Posts
So these new style lids require a hole in the can? Odd because my older smaller one, the vent is in the cap. I even took it apart and drilled the holes out to make them a slight bit larger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My tank leaked the same but out of the screw on cap. I was also told to drill a hole which I did and then had a stream down the side of my truck from where the liquid blew out the drilled hole. I ordered a new lid from a speed shop here local but while waiting on the lid I tried treflon tape around the cap in the threads and I'll be danged if going on 2 years or so now I still don't have a leak so I never installed the new lid unless I just have to.

Jamie R.
03 DSG Gen2

·
Boost0holic
204 Posts
Mine has leaked since day one. Always smells of coolant. I had Johnny drill some vent holes a month ago and it still leaks out the top. I will RTV next and update.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine has leaked since day one. Always smells of coolant. I had Johnny drill some vent holes a month ago and it still leaks out the top. I will RTV next and update.
It is a plastic top and plastic ring? I had one on my tank, always leaked. Tried gasket sealers, even put orings on it. I gave up and just ordered JC Customs billet tank lid. Come with an air vent under the lid. Check him out.

·
10,156 Posts
Okay, I didn't notice that. Mine is vented. Not sure but maybe they don't sell the vented one now? I looked and couldn't find one. Sorry bout the mix up. In the pic I posted, you can see the vent. Little black doohickey in the middle of the red. I opened up the four holes, made them larger.

I contacted the company and asked them about the non-vented, since the used to sell them as vented. I'll let you know what they say, if they even bother to respond. Sad to say, a lot of companies don't respond when I email them. Or it's so far into the future, it's a worthless response.

But I must point this out. The reason that cap doesn't leak is it has a plastic ring that goes inside the tank which makes the cap fit better and the gasket work better since the ring backs up the metal on the inside. You could always buy the non-vented cap just to get the internal ring, metal outer part and new gasket. Toss everything else in the round-open-top-file. The center part is the exact same as the JLP except it's red. Unless JLP has changed something in the years since I got mine. I got mine 10 years ago, in 2010.

I painted that metal part black since it is some kind of metal that doesn't polish well and gets kind of ugly over time. I also used chrome allen head bolts and nylon insert lock nuts bought from my local ACE to put it all together. The black, red and chrome make for a nice contrast.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I Would have thought by now the problem with these tanks leaking, Should have been fixed a long time ago i don't like buying something such as mentioned and having to work on it problem should be fixed by the maker of such product and use two bolts to bolt to fender

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have had both the old and new style lids that JLP uses. With some gasket sealant and the Certified Drunk vent mod, not one drop leaks.

·
10,156 Posts
True. One could just put the lid assembly on with some black RTV or such and the problem would be solved. I just wanted the red lid that JAZ sells. ;-)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was looking at purchasing one of these so if any one has any tutorials on how to keep these from leaking that would be great.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts