Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys on the JLP forced ram air kit, I just connected the ram air tubing to the front grille and was wondering what keeps water and other stuff from getting to the filter? Also would it be better to close off the small holes on the lid that JLP provides with his CAI kits to shield off more of the heat...... Main concern was car washes and rain hydrolocking the motor worst case.....

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya well I believe the chickenears and JLP intakes are the best out there, just seeing what someone has come up with as a screen for bugs and water before elements hit the filter.... Also would the outerwear on the filter be a good buy now since the ram air kit is installed...?

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
the filter has to be 100% submersed in water

if half the filter is in water, air will just flow in through the other half. It won't begin to suck in water until the whole thing is under. As long as you're not running your filter to the ground, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks Rman, thats good to know, you think there is any benefit of me sealing up the top lid....?

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Yater, when you get your truck fixed up, we can race and test out your theory.

My truck rips quite a bit harder with my JLP setup than it did sucking air in through the stock box or in the hot engine bay.

:p

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Wow thanks Rman, thats good to know, you think there is any benefit of me sealing up the top lid....?

I always wanted to do that when I had my JLP setup.

If you think about it though, it only helps at idle or very slow speeds, where there is no air coming from the scoop and the filter is intaking hot underhood air.
After that, the JLP scoop/ram air gives way more air than the filter/intake needs/can use. So at speeds, it is jamming more than enough cool air to the filter than it can actually take in.

This was a theory of someone's that I read long time ago, but I used have a pre-filter on the cone filter, and there was a circle of dirt right where the tube was. What that told me it's not just pulling air into the box, it's shoving air into the box!

Short answer: Probably not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yater, when you get your truck fixed up, we can race and test out your theory.

My truck rips quite a bit harder with my JLP setup than it did sucking air in through the stock box or in the hot engine bay.

:p
My trucks just a work truck, we rounding up the Lightnings again anytime soon. My truck was in Vegas that week everybody got together. There's supposed to be a little 50 show later on this month in Elk Grove. Hate being the only L out there.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Guys on the JLP forced ram air kit, I just connected the ram air tubing to the front grille and was wondering what keeps water and other stuff from getting to the filter? Also would it be better to close off the small holes on the lid that JLP provides with his CAI kits to shield off more of the heat...... Main concern was car washes and rain hydrolocking the motor worst case.....
Instead of mounting my scoop behind the grill, I hung it on the bottom of the heat exchanger(fluidyne has a couple extra holes). I only take mine out on nice days but mine picks up rocks, leaves, cig butts and pretty much anything that gets in the way.

Ive thought about putting some sort of window screen over it but its pretty easy to clean it out when I hear some rocks or leaves rattling around in the box.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Instead of mounting my scoop behind the grill, I hung it on the bottom of the heat exchanger(fluidyne has a couple extra holes). I only take mine out on nice days but mine picks up rocks, leaves, cig butts and pretty much anything that gets in the way.

Ive thought about putting some sort of window screen over it but its pretty easy to clean it out when I hear some rocks or leaves rattling around in the box.

I got some black wire mesh from home depot, sprayed it black, and put it over the scoop, then bolted it onto the brackets. Worked well, before I'd have leaves in the air box

·
Fat Bastad
2,756 Posts
I dont believe in CAI intakes at all. I believe they are a waste of money, and dont deliver what they claim to bring to the table. IMO
I'm sure some of the gained horsepower claims are exagerated a bit but they do work. Are they worth the added power that they provide...That's up to the owner but it's a proven fact that cooler intake temps produce more power. PV=nRT.

Roach

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Had both

Just got another Chickears for the white truck. I like it better but back in the day JLPs was the one

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
greyHD did a write-up/how-to on adding a ram-air to his setup (volant)

I plan on doing something similar with my AEM, it's only got a heat shield and it'd be nice to get some cooler air to it... it does feel a bit freer flowing than the JLP, but I'm sure that has more to do with the placebo effect and the 98mm diameter

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
My trucks just a work truck, we rounding up the Lightnings again anytime soon. My truck was in Vegas that week everybody got together. There's supposed to be a little 50 show later on this month in Elk Grove. Hate being the only L out there.
My truck is just a beater too. As far as another meetup I am thinkin about gettin a few guys together. I'll be working on Blown and Diablo 2001s trucks comin up but other than that I wanna get the guys together.

Me an VJay were the main 2 last time and it was a blast man. We both had trucks but our 2 trucks were some of the fastest sh*t there so it was a good time. He didn't come with me on the cruise but hopefully down the line we can actually get the guys together.

Hit me up whenever bro. You're in Sac so we can't be more than 30minutes apart from end to end..

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
I forget the guy's name [SICKSVT], but at Vinnies GTG Sunday, there was a red Lightning with a Cervinis ram air hood. The hood had a fabbed plenum that ran right from the driver's side hood scoop over to the air box. He said he bought the truck like that... pretty neat setup, maybe he'll post up some closeups.

Mike

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have the JLP ram air kit and mine has some screen mesh applied over the ram air inlet.

Also, for those rainy days I have about a 3" foam ball that I jam down into the hole.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does the mesh screen stay put and where do I go about finding a 3' foam ball?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
How does the mesh screen stay put and where do I go about finding a 3' foam ball?

The PO did this to my truck, but the mesh is screwed to the face of the ram air inlet.

The foam ball was included with the truck but it looks like something that could be found in the toy section at walmart.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.