Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK who is the vendor for JDM'S new Front Drag springs? Are the just v-6 springs or are they from chassis engineering. Does anyone know the answer to this question I know he is not getting these made especially for him like he says for all of his parts.

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
they probably are a lower spring rate than stock, but taller so they push the front end up high when the weight starts to transfer to the rear.

anybody know the diameter of our springs? (the outside dimeter of the whole spring, not just the coil thickness)

(edit so this doesn't turn into another jdm bashing thread)

G

·
I can't answer your question, but I can see where this thread is slowly heading and I'll tell you right now it's not going to happen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jeff, while I don't know who makes JDM's springs, its not hard to concieve that someone does make them to JDM's requested specs. You personally can probably call up joes spring shop and have them make springs to your own specs, just as you can do with cam companies now. Call them up and ask them.

LA I apreciate you taking a hard azz aproach to chit stirrers. This board has been refreshing for the Lightning enthusiast who doesn't want to hear any bashing or bickering.

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
there is a spring comapany were i live. i was lowering my little truck (first time arund) and i wanted to go lower than normal. without going to air ride (but now i have) and they made me special leafsprings and coil springs. i guess they just de arched the leafs and did something to the coils (i have no idea) but it lowered me....

so yeah you can order specially made stuff.....

and not spend alot on it....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sometimes I spec special springs for product design & validation. The setup cost is very minimal to run a "lot" of 100 or so pieces.

Very minimal cost's involved....

Rich

·
Banned
749 Posts
i checked JDM's website they have no info on the drag springs.. anyone have info on them? im interested for my "L"

·
Registered
207 Posts
bet on black said:
they probably are a lower spring rate than stock, but taller so they push the front end up high when the weight starts to transfer to the rear.

anybody know the diameter of our springs? (the outside dimeter of the whole spring, not just the coil thickness)

(edit so this doesn't turn into another jdm bashing thread)
I just posted some dimensional data in this thread http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1319.0 for my stock 02 L front coils.

Herb

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can answer this ?

Jim works very hard to provide the Lightning community with the best available products and He is always trying to improve our trucks abilities!

Jim debued these springs at the FFW E-town event and he had several trucks running these springs...all were lifting the front wheels!!

The sets that are out there currently are off the shelf items that Jim has cut down to provide ride height and lift that he wants...

What you are buying is not as important as the R&D that went into these springs and the fact that they work great!

Yes, it is possible for anyone to buy weaker springs from another vehicle...but there will be considerable trial and error getting the right ones and ride height!

I personally would rather pay the $189 from Jim than go through all the R&D stuff myself!!

BTW, I am not getting a commision from Jim on these, I just really respect his talent and his desire to make great products available for us!

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I'm sure they are a great product and work as advertised, however being an enthusiast first and foremost, I must ask a question;

Why?

If its just to impress people by lifting the front tires, then by all means order away, but if you really think that you will get better 60fts from this product, you are being mislead.

Weight transfer is whats important, how quickly/slowly/softly that front raises and then settles down will equate to better "reaction" from your truck. One negative thing the wheel lifting is doing is causing reaction times to suffer. The truck will want to lift up rather than move forward, hence slowing down the time it takes to rollout of the beams.

FWIW, my own personal Lightning runs cut down (1/2 coil) stock springs and stock shocks on the front with QA1's out back and I get consistant 1.48 or better 60Fts. BTJ and Nuno both are runnning RUSLOW front rated springs (BTJ 900lbs, and Nuno 1000lbs) and they get consistant 1.52's or better 60fts running stock shocks for nuno and QA'1s all around for BTJ. (both of them with less power than me).

Please understand that I'm not posting this for any reason other than the question that I asked. True enthusiasts will want to ask themselves why as well and like I said, if you really want to just lift the front tires and impress yourself, then by all means get these springs.

Thanks for your time.

[email protected]

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
It makes sense that reaction times may be slightly longer with these extreme transfer springs, but that is easily compensated for by applying throttle earlier. All it takes is practice to master the tree with any vehicle as long as it is consistant.
The intro price is fair and this thread reminds me ta call to reserve mine.
Jim

·
Registered
393 Posts
JJ, you make some good points and I agree for the most part.

I was just trying to show how Jim "made" these springs and what went into them...they are not made for him or off the shelf...They are a custom "made" by Jim peice!

As to the effect....

It had always been an old drag racing "trick" to use lightweight front springs for weight transfer...

While you are correct that when you are going up, you are not going forward (thus slowing your reaction times aswell as 60' times). However this effect is only true if the same horsepower is used in both cases, i.e. with or without trick springs! This is of course also assuming that in both cases your slicks were already having no spin.

Consider this... In a situation where you cannot "hook-up" with your current set-up, then more weight transfer would improve your 60's by reducing spin.

Consider a situation where someone has the ability to make more power than they can put to the ground and needs a better suspension to plant the tires and be able to apply more HP thus reducing 60's!!

I have given you two very good examples of how weight transfer can reduce 60's by planting the tires better!

Even though you are right, if you have truck that already hooks-up and doesn't spin off the line, these springs will not improve your 60's and infact may theretically hurt your 60's!

It's the same as someone thinks that bigger tires or stickier tires will help their 60's...Well if your not spinning now, more traction won't help your 60's...only more power will do that!

In FFW racing we are limited to a 10.5" slick and with 650+ HP to the wheels we can blow the tires off pretty easy....So we need to work on the suspension to improve traction to utilize that power!

BTW, I have seen a few 1.50 60's myself ( I don't have Jims new springs BTW )...But NOBODY is running 1.50 or better consistently, especially running at different tracks like some of us do! If the track is prepped well, ANYONE can hook-up! We need all the mechanical advantage we can get especially running on a track that isn't prepped well or inconsistently!

Bottom line is PLANTING the rear tires is vital to consistent 60's!

Last and most important point....

WOO HOO my 100th post!!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just my $0.02, Springs alone will not get the front wheels in the air. Big torque will.
We are just starting to see some chassis info trickling down from the fast guys to us slow folk.
Keep the chat going we can all afford to learn more.

G

·
*edited by the attention queen of f150online.com aka dug in training*

I'll re-edit my post tomorow.
I agree with JJ.  All that bullshit trying to impress people with lifting the front end is wasting energy.  Ideally, you want the ass end pinned down, and the front just slightly lifted.  Not to mention the after math of the upset down the track when the front end slams back down, and takes the traction out of the back.

G

·
Ryan Allen said:
*edited by Leeann*

I agree with JJ.  All that bullshit trying to impress people with lifting the front end is wasting energy.  Ideally, you want the ass end pinned down, and the front just slightly lifted.  Not to mention the after math of the upset down the track when the front end slams back down, and takes the traction out of the back.
A good 90% of your posts on this board are negative.  I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not going to put up with your BS.  If you have a problem with JDM, then don't buy their stuff.  If you wanna bitch and moan about it, do it elsewhere. 

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ryan, you are a very knowledgeable guy and bring allot to the table!

Chill out dude so you don't get banned!

Peace,

Suavy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been apart of the Lightining community for about a year. I don't post a lot. But I do read these boards every day. I don't understand why people continue to BASH the vendors who put their TIME and MONEY into research and development of new products or vendors who just reatail these products. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But sometimes its best to keep them to yourself. These vendors are out there for OUR BENEFIT.

·
Registered
426 Posts
These boards are places where people sit behind thier keyboards & spue thier feelings.  They do this because at the end of the day they know they are'nt held accountable for what they say.  I've been guilty of that too.  But I'm trying to improve myself like the Lord has instructed us all to do.

I personally don't like JDM and won't do any business with them.  I was treated bad. Very bad in fact.  And then I was hushed by the boards admins. (F150)  But I will say that I've always admired thier quality products. 

These new springs are'nt for my truck. But.... people buy static bling all the time..?  What's the differance in peoples thought process?  It's not shiny bling.. :-?

Rich

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe my wording was not to the liking for the jdm guy's out there but I have been in the lightning community since I purchased my 99Lin 99 . I was just asking a simple question so I could eliminate the middle man that's all I was not bashing Jim or his company. I have his parts on my truck along with the other two major vendors . can't we all just get along. So if anybody has got some good tech on this issue feel free to add to this thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts