Lightning Rodder banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

Registered
For some of us though, there isn't much left to buy. Lol
I'll let ya start buying stuff for mine if you need to fill that void.....馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Reactions: utlong31

10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
I'll let ya start buying stuff for mine if you need to fill that void.....馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
I have a car enthusiast daughter who's shopping for a project. She wins

local painter
Discussion Starter #64
I have a car enthusiast daughter who's shopping for a project. She wins
And im next in line after her so he need to take a number 馃槀

Reactions: cbxer55 and Dusten

10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning

Registered
Joel Charles has started production on these. The extra pulley will be on the right side. I did ask about left versus right and he said his pulley bridge was correct. I do wonder who told him that. I also wonder if later on the design will change to be on the left side.

Registered
Joel Charles has started production on these. The extra pulley will be on the right side. I did ask about left versus right and he said his pulley bridge was correct. I do wonder who told him that. I also wonder if later on the design will change to be on the left side.
So is his tensioner pulley going to be on the driver's side (which I would call left) or the passenger side (which I would call right)?

2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
So is his tensioner pulley going to be on the driver's side (which I would call left) or the passenger side (which I would call right)?
Drivers side is Left.
Standing at the front of the truck. the blower is spinning clock wise. JC's pulley is on the drivers side. MP the pulley is on the passenger side.

Registered
Left/Right for me is standing in front of the truck with Left on the Passenger side and Right being on the Drivers side. Same as Left/Right Hand orientation if standing in front of the truck. I'm Right Handed so JC's pulley is on the Right Hand side.

It's interesting that JC's prototype (I think the first one he made) had the pulley on the Left hand side before someone told him the pulley should be on the Right hand side. He changed the design based on that input.

10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
Marty is right and I need to retract my retraction.

I don't know I thought these went counter clockwise.

The driver's side is the tension side if the motors spinning clockwise.
The bridge joel made is right.

Registered
My fear is JC will produce XX of these items and then someone will settle the discussion of Left/Right hand pulley and then he'll change the design. Some will be wrong and all the others will be correct. I suppose that goes to what really is correct. Who are you asking. From what I'm hearing is MP is correct and JC's is wrong.

Registered
Marty is right and I need to retract my retraction.

I don't know I thought these went counter clockwise.

The driver's side is the tension side if the motors spinning clockwise.
The bridge joel made is right.
In my mind if clockwise then MP is correct. Just seems like a lot of belt being wrapped around that pulley when turning it clockwise. This would be Left hand. Same as putting a wrench (6 to 9 o'clock position) on something to turn it it clockwise.

Attachments

Whipple Powered!
In my mind if clockwise then MP is correct. Just seems like a lot of belt being wrapped around that pulley when turning it clockwise. This would be Left hand. Same as putting a wrench (6 to 9 o'clock position) on something to turn it it clockwise.
The MP is correct. It is on the non tension side of belt where it needs to be. The non tension side is from crank to blower. The tension side is drivers because the crank pulls the belt.

Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
The MP is correct. It is on the non tension side of belt where it needs to be. The non tension side is from crank to blower. The tension side is drivers because the crank pulls the belt.
This was posted by Dusten on page 3. He thought the same as you originally, but changed his mind on the subject. And he's correct because when viewed from the front, the belt turns clockwise. The lower pulley is pulling on the upper pulley on the driver's side. Hence the passenger side is the slack side. Don't be confused because the fans turns counter-clockwise when viewed from the front. The fan turns the opposite direction of the motor. Any pulley where the back of the belt is on the pulley, turns the opposite direction of the motor.

Actually I have that backwards
The blower is the driven pulley. The crank is the drive pulley
So the driver's side is the tight side. The passenger is the slack side.

Mp is correct. Jc and metco are wrong.
As can be seen in the picture, the belt on the water pump pulley is all back of the belt and shit! The relocater bracket for the driver's side idler is on the wrong side in this picture as well, fortunately it is no longer available. LOL!!

btw: both tensioners are on the passenger side. I would think the tensioner is best placed on the slack side. Look at the second picture. That is mine. If the driver's side was the slack side, I don't think my belts would last very long, with this little teeny gap between the belts inner surface at the idler pulley location.

Attachments

Registered
Are you saying the MP side is correct or the JC side is correct?

If standing in front of the truck and have the MP bridge installed with a belt, pulling on the right side of the belt (as the belt would rotate clockwise) with your right hand would create the most wrap or tension of the belt on the upper pulley. To me the JC version doesn't do that.

Whipple Powered!
This was posted by Dusten on page 3. He thought the same as you originally, but changed his mind on the subject. And he's correct because when viewed from the front, the belt turns clockwise. The lower pulley is pulling on the upper pulley on the driver's side. Hence the passenger side is the slack side. Don't be confused because the fans turns counter-clockwise when viewed from the front. The fan turns the opposite direction of the motor. Any pulley where the back of the belt is on the pulley, turns the opposite direction of the motor.

As can be seen in the picture, the belt on the water pump pulley is all back of the belt and shit! The relocater bracket for the driver's side idler is on the wrong side in this picture as well, fortunately it is no longer available. LOL!!

btw: both tensioners are on the passenger side. I would think the tensioner is best placed on the slack side. Look at the second picture. That is mine. If the driver's side was the slack side, I don't think my belts would last very long, with this little teeny gap between the belts inner surface at the idler pulley location.

You WANT the additional pulley on slack side/non tension side so he can change his mind 50 times but the MP is correct. As I said before the drivers side is the tension side and passenger side is non tension side. The belt turns clockwise when standing in front of it. This in turns has the crank pulling on the belt on drivers side making it the tension side. Why do you think the tensioner is on passenger side? Because it's the non tension side. Adding the additional pulley on passenger side allows more belt wrap on the non tension side.. Again the MP IS the right orientation.

Registered
So, who's going to explain this to Joel Charles before he runs 20 or more of his bridges wrong? He started machining his bridges on Friday if I recall.

Registered
So net-net...the pulley should be on the passenger side (right side) of the truck like the MP pulley bridge.

The JC pulley, unless he changed the design he had pictured on Facebook, is on the driver side (left side) of the truck and what would be the 'tension' side of the belt.

From what I have read is that belt tension should be applied on the 'slack' side of the belt, which means the MP pulley bridge is the one on the 'correct' side.

Reasonable summary?

Would be crappy to make a run of 20 of those things with the pulley on the wrong side.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts