Lightning Rodder banner

81 - 100 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
exactly!!! Just one of the many situations that the Safeguard can counter act! It only takes one time to get what you thought was 91 and some pumper truck knucklehead dropped 87 or 89 in the 91 tank at the pumps....then you go out and put your foot in it and ...............

·
Yes I know...
79 Posts
Subscribing.... Can't wait to get this mod!!!! :banana2:

So, Stewy when are we/YOU gonna install this on my ride....:smt023:smt118

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Its not a hard install at all....contact [email protected]&S he is right in our neck of the woods....!

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Another test week down.....this week was all run on about 90 oct.....I had what I thought was about 5 gallons of 89 in the tank and threw in 5 gallons of 91....so it was about 90ish octane in the tank....ran her through her paces as before....same results as before...just less knock sensed and thus less timing retarded. On true 89 octane in previous tests we were seeing up to a max of around 16 degrees of retard on a couple cylinders at their peek when knock was detected. This time around I saw around 7-8 degrees of retard on a couple of cylinders at thier peek when knock was detected.

THE J&S SAFEGUARD STILL DOING WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO!!!

TOnight John came down and we tapped into the stock Knock Sensor and utilized it with the J&S Safeguard. No changes to octane.....took her out for a little 32 mile cruise and put her through her paces.....same results as this weeks testing. The unit doing its job and pulling timing when knock was detected. I will be diving into the motor tomorrow and plugging directly into the stock knock sensor, at the main engine harness connection for it, to clean up the install some...tonight we did a quick install and only tapped into the existing harness.

·
Never Fry Bacon Naked
170 Posts
Just think, one strong ass safety net for those freeway kick-downs, cold or warm weather high speed 130+ runs, bad tank of gas (that's happened to me more than once), etc.

While I think ANYONE would be interested in this setup, stock or built, I know for me (built) I'd love to have something like this protecting my 12 grand setup.

Ok Stew, when are ya coming up to Monterey to install that baby in my truck? ;)

Heck, maybe we should just have one big mod weekend installing these bad boys on every L that can make it down to your place! Just have one big bash of a get-together and install 10 to 20 of these things!

Group buy? :D

I'll bring down some marinated skirt steak that'll knock your knickers off!

Stewart

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
I agree completely.....

The safety the unit provides is outstanding....the ability to have a guardian angel that can provide a level of protection for ,things a tune just cant forsee or correct for when it happens unexpectedly is priceless.

WE spend thousands on our stock block setups. The majority of us and justifiably, go out and purchase upgraded pumps, injectors and MAF extenders to help ensure of proper fuel delivery and a/f ratios. Others forgo these mods to spend money other things...but regarless we still see guys join the dreaded VB club. Then they go and build it BIGGER and Better....spending 10/16/20k on a new motor setup and we still see guys pop these built motors combos, due to some gremlin that reared its ugly head and contributed to or was responsible for that built motors demise.

For guys who want to go big and badder...they still will. I know I will. I want to be able to choose when I do, not be forced to do it. I would also want to keep my stock block in one peice..whether to sell and offset the cost of my built motor...or even to put into my wifes truck, but at least I will have options.

·
Never Fry Bacon Naked
170 Posts
...we should just have one big mod weekend installing these bad boys on every L that can make it down to your place! Just have one big bash of a get-together and install 10 to 20 of these things!

Group buy? :D
I agree completely.....
AWESOME!!

So when are we doing this??

;) :D

Stewart

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
MSD makes a plug and play harness kit for their Mod-6 system.

It looks like some of the components could be used to prevent hacking the coil wires when installing the Vampire.

MSD has the harness kit listed at $299, but I don't know if they will sell just the parts needed to facilitate installation of the Vampire.

http://www.msdignition.com/harn_88814.htm

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
If this can be made to be plug and play then it would be much more attractive, the last thing I personally want to do is tap into factory harnesses, and possibly booger them up.

It is also good to see the factory knock sensor being utilized, ford and all the other OEM's put the knock sensor in that central location for a good reason.

Keep up the good work guys.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If this can be made to be plug and play then it would be much more attractive, the last thing I personally want to do is tap into factory harnesses, and possibly booger them up.

It is also good to see the factory knock sensor being utilized, ford and all the other OEM's put the knock sensor in that central location for a good reason.

Keep up the good work guys.
I agree it would be much more attractive if you didn't have to tap into the factory harness. Plug and play I would have put the cash down already.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
It looks like MSD has a source for the connectors and pins needed to do this.

I'll call them and see if they have a Motorcraft number and where I can buy them.

Ideally, we would make a short extender cable for each coil. The negative lead would have an extra wire to connnect to the Vampire.

Or, just use a Vampire tap on the negative lead of the extender cable.

Wouldn't be free, though. For example, my cost on the Motorcraft knock sensor pigtail is $25, and I buy from the warehouse.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
ok, waiting to hear back from MSD.

For reference, here's the Motorcraft pig tail for the factory knock sensor:

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,48,WPT351 My warehouse is giving me such a break.

Plug and play coil adapters require two connectors per coil, so this could add $200 to the price of a Vampire.

Maybe I'll just go into the harness business and forget about it.

MSD is coming out with a two step for Ford COPs, around $250. Vampire is a bargain.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-lightnings/168435-msd-launch-control.html

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Here's a clip showing the Vampire in action on Stew's truck a few days ago, cruising on I-5 near Camp Pendleton.

The row of lights on the unit are called the knock finder, and show which cylinders are being retarded. The round gauge shows the amount of retard.

The left LED on the knock finder shows cylinder #1, then the others follow in numerical sequence (not firing order).

For this run, we were connected to the factory knock sensor, which is centrally located. You can see that cylinder #5 usually lights up under load. We also saw this when we were using the Bosch sensor, which is mounted on a stud bolt near cylinder #5. Mounting location did not decrease the signal from cylinder #5. It's prone to knock on Stew's truck, but Vampire kills it before it becomes audible.

In the video, I said the fuel was close to 91 octane, but Stew later said that it was about half and half 89 and 91.

The last frame shows cylinder #5 retarded 8°.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4592990325318074993

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
cylinder #5

Just got a pm from a guy on modularfords, saying the wrist pin on his #5 was broken:

John: This may mean nothing to you, but I noticed Stew's #5 cylinder was first to need retarding.
On my truck the wrist pin in #5 was broken.
And I believe you'll find the #5 rod is the most frequent to be flung through the side of the block. This is probably not a revelation to you in anyway, but I found it interesting none the less.
Cheers

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
Very cool, but where the hell do I put yet another flashy gauge?!?!

Once this sucker is plug and play, or close to it, I'd like to give it a whirl on the road course.

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Very Interesting on how it works after seeing the video clip.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
does that make me an addict??? LOL

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
Ian:

Lab Rats don't wait for plug and play. Lab Rats stick out their arm and make a fist.
LOL

John, I have track marks from all the years of lab rat service me and my truck have been through, and I only do it when there is no one else who I consider compitent to do a proper job testing it, but we have good ol big Stew, so I'll wait for him this time around.

I'll have plenty more lab rat srtipes soon enough......custom airride 3-link and a hydroboost are coming soon.

81 - 100 of 413 Posts