If you want names, I'll post them.

Reactions: jchil31

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
we have this same issue on a site I moderate on that uses the same new format seen here

posting just a name isn't going to help as much as one would hope

site staff need either a link to the thread/post or the PM trying to pass off "parts" needs to be forwarded to a staff member

see, the staff need that avitar/site user info seen to the left of every post
it's a link to that user which the staff need to moderate or eliminate the problem..

when staff go to your user pages they have a "tool" button they can use to edit , moderate / warn or ban the user

but without that link they can't do much

·
Registered
260 Posts
There's alot of scammers running loose on this forum. A mod is need for buy/sale transactions.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,837 Posts
There's alot of scammers running loose on this forum. A mod is need for buy/sale transactions.
We have a mod, but they can only stop the ones that post. Most of these POS just use a PM.
If you get a PM from one of them, you need to post the user name in the thread, so action can be taken.

·
Registered
242 Posts
usually the message is vague, and they have 1 post in the forums. pretty easy to spot. and they want you to email them instead of messaging through the forums

Reactions: Pully dwn

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have a mod, but they can only stop the ones that post. Most of these POS just use a PM.
If you get a PM from one of them, you need to post the user name in the thread, so action can be taken.
^ This is why I posted above saying to forward those scammer PM's to the staff.. with a copy of the forwarded PM they have the tools via the user info link on the left of every post or PM ..

posting just the scammers name is virtually useless as staff need the link to the user's page to manage the user so a forwarded copy of the PM or a link to the thread with the offending post is needed

·
Administrator
18,538 Posts
Lot of scammers everywhere. Buyer beware. Look at post count and participation. These give a clue, but still no guarantee. Sometimes even long timer get into a jam and end ups stealing. Ask questions. Get pics. Do not send $$$ as a gift. Get Paypal and credit card company protection. Always do business on open forum. Not PM or email.

Jim

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
usually the message is vague, and they have 1 post in the forums. pretty easy to spot. and they want you to email them instead of messaging through the forums
Exactly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also check their history of posting and replies... usually they have nothing... one guys messaged me about a C&L elbow when i was looking for one... dude sent me a pic of some riced out shit that wasn't even for our trucks...

i posted a WTB on NLOC also and they're hitting me up there as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I have a pending buy with the gilbertjames guy. He wanted to use zelle, and then wait for the paypal g&s funds to be available before he shipped some 97 fuel rails. I just informed him that's not how transactions work. I told him I'd give him until end of business on thursday to provide tracking before I open a case. I paid on sunday.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Lightning
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I have a pending buy with the gilbertjames guy. He wanted to use zelle, and then wait for the paypal g&s funds to be available before he shipped some 97 fuel rails. I just informed him that's not how transactions work. I told him I'd give him until end of business on thursday to provide tracking before I open a case. I paid on sunday.
oh no.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can obviously ban them as they are created, but they'll just create more emails and userids so its not going to do a lot of good. Could probably try making the new account process a more lengthy prove-you're-real process. Scammers usually dont have a lot of time to waste to do research on topics they don't know about, etc.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,193 Posts
You can obviously ban them as they are created, but they'll just create more emails and userids so its not going to do a lot of good. Could probably try making the new account process a more lengthy prove-you're-real process. Scammers usually dont have a lot of time to waste to do research on topics they don't know about, etc.
Agreed. I know when I was on facebook group pages they had several questions you had to answer correctly in order to get permitted. I just don't see the current ownership of this site going to those lengths.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agreed. I know when I was on facebook group pages they had several questions you had to answer correctly in order to get permitted. I just don't see the current ownership of this site going to those lengths.
What about requiring like 5-10 moderator approved posts before you can PM? That might work nicely. With 8 posts I realize I am suspect rt now though, lol. I promise i don't have the part anyone is looking for though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts