Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Silver Thor! Scream Eaton Scream!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard I can snap a drive shaft/bottom end if I have slicks on?

I have a k&n, flowmaster, and msd ignition coils...I ran a 13.5, but I want faster!

I'm going to get me lakewoods, and hopefully that will help

but if I get hoosiers or other slicks and put 2 on the rear, will I snap my bottom end?

·
Flyin HI
31,061 Posts
You probably won't, but it's definitely possible with all that torque launching a 5k lb brick.

Wheel hop is your enemy so get a bars and a loop to be on the safe side.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,765 Posts
anytime you put sticky tires on, it's advisable to have a DS loop and traction bars...

IF you don't many tracks won't let you run

do a search, drag radials have taken out a few driveshafts and the pics wee posted here

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
for added insurance I would deff put bars and a loop on..or atleast a loop

·
.030, XR heads, [email protected]
12,831 Posts
ask Wes (WD13) about why we always recommend DS loop n long bars..... 12.00 on prior run... on a 2.7/6 lb combo ... NT05's were skipping off the line at LF7= broke drive shaft n air bags deployed when the ds slammed against the air bag sensor that's in the cab floor!:shocked003:smt021

btw... that happened saturday to his DD:shocked003.... with help from friends, members from nloc/LR; he drove it to work monday n replaced the air bags pretty much for free!:cheers:bigtu

·
Flyin HI
31,061 Posts
No it'll still break just as easy, but a loop will save you from having to replace everything your busted spinning DS can take out.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,563 Posts
So with a ds loop, I won't bust my ds?

and I'm getting lakewoods soon....just want better times without having to swap pulleys and engines lol
A driveshaft loop will not prevent the shaft from busting. The loop is mounted up front near the front u-joint. It protects things should the front u-joint break. It prevents it from flinging around and doing damage under your truck, and also prevents it from dropping down and sticking the ground, thus ripping out your rear end.:shocked003

I guess if the rear joint breaks, nothing untoward happens?

I have a JLP safety loop, it bolts on to existing holes on the underside of the frame. I also have Lakewood slapper bars, currently set with about .75" gap. I've never run slicks, so I don't know nothing about them.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
DS is for safety, traction bars keep the rear & DS alive. Wheelhop is our enemy with a leaf spring rear.

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Like said above
Get a set of traction bars and a DS loop and your good to go.
Most tracks won't let you run without a DS loop if your running faster than 13.5

·
05' EMC Champ
325 Posts
A driveshaft loop will not prevent the shaft from busting. The loop is mounted up front near the front u-joint. It protects things should the front u-joint break. It prevents it from flinging around and doing damage under your truck, and also prevents it from dropping down and sticking the ground, thus ripping out your rear end.:shocked003
It also prevents your truck from catapulting onto it's roof.

I guess if the rear joint breaks, nothing untoward happens?.....
It can still whip around and beat hell out of the exhaust pipes and fuel tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.