Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've read every thread and post on the subject and am still on the fence about which route to take. Is there a concensus with the long time owners that solves the problem with no side effects or requiring to tune for unmetered air. Thanks

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
In.

You answered your own question, its a well discussed topic with no decisive answer. It sounds like you've done your homework, choose the option you feel most confident in.

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
After all of the reading, I decided to run the cobra PCV (one way, instead of our two way) that goes to a catch can, and then into the upper plenum. The turkey pan is plugged. Drivers side runs to the elbow as usual. Still a functioning PCV system, and I haven't gotten any oil in the plenum yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems to me the most recommended fix seems to be the l&s separator due to the oil being reused automatically, I work in refrigerated transport and I'm pretty sure the l &s unit is this http://temprite.com/products/coalescent-oil-separators/300-series/ can anyone confirm this because I have larger versions of this separator for our applications just wondering if it would cause a problem being a larger container in the closed system slowing the flow. I don't think it will just bouncing ideas off you guys for now. Thanks for the input

·
Carbon Fiber Addict
12,808 Posts
Personally I deleted my PCV system, eliminates all oil problems in the intake and cleans up the engine bay. No need for ugly oil separators or hoses.

Installed (2) AN Fittings into each valve cover and tee'd both lines together with -10AN Hose. Then ran the hose down to the drivers side frame rail and installed a Vented JEGS catch can.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That engine bay looks amazing excellent work are you having any oil contamination from not having any crankcase evacuation or any unmetered air issue or have you totally split the intake tract and plugged all sources of vaccuum

·
Carbon Fiber Addict
12,808 Posts
That engine bay looks amazing excellent work are you having any oil contamination from not having any crankcase evacuation or any unmetered air issue or have you totally split the intake tract and plugged all sources of vaccuum
There shouldn't be any issues with unmetered air if you plug all of the unused intake ports properly.

If you're worried about oil contamination just change your oil more frequently. :smt023

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
If you don't have a PCV you will have oil contamination. Whether it's acceptable or not is up to you, and it could depend on several variables to include driving habit, fuel type, oil change interval, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have any problem with changing oil more frequently or running a bypass filter setup I'm more concerned with ring seal being reduced and increasing blowby from having no vaccuum on an engine that has had it for 12 years. I guess it's a risk I'll have to take or go with a vac pump I'm just trying to work out my ideas with people that have or have solved the same problems. Thanks for all the input and ideas keep em coming

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
Cars were sold with no PCV systems for years. They ran fine. But they always were full of sludge and longevity was nowhere near where it is now. So for me, I would never consider eliminating the PCV system. Plenty of reading material out there as to the advantages of running an active PCV setup.

Good vac pumps are real expensive. But eliminating the factory system and running a seperate vac pump to a filtered vent is the ultimate solution. For myself I chose a real good quality catch can combined with a one way PCV valve and retain the factory setup(can block of turkey pan if desired). Catch can should have multi stage filtering media as well as stepped canister sides to reduce oil being sucked back into the intake. Mine stays relatively clean with the AMW Machine seperator.

The L+S is Fugly to start with. And I cringe at the thought of re-introducing the volatiles/contaminants back into the crankcase. Definately not an option I considered for long.

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And that was my main concern with l&s was recirculating stuff that was meant to be burned into the oil and totally deleting it leaves you with cooked oil everywhere leaving it as is coats the intercooler and intake tract. Fords emissions engineer really left us with an expensive problem to solve and 13 years later here I am asking the same old questions

·
Bet you were born naked, you SLUT!
909 Posts
I had a catch can and a breather.

Im building a system right now to use a separator and cobra PCV.

Ill see what I like and stick with that one.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I had an L&S for a few months and didn't care for it. I recently plumbed each valve cover to its own oil separator. Just venting was not an option, I want the increase ring sealing and contamination out of the oil. Chose not to use a vacuum pump because they do not draw as much vacuum as i'd like. The nice pumps are BIG bucks...

Lower intake line is plugged.

Pass side:
Using cobra pcv valve to 3/4" hose to the catch can, then 3/4" hose out of the catch can to a 3/8" barb on my plenum.

Drivers side:
3/4" hose to catch can, 3/4" hose from catch can to intake tube.

Oil fill tube utilizes a CFM valved breather. It does not vent under vacuum. It only allows air to pass when crankcase pressure is present.

Both catch cans are located behind the front bumper. My thoughts are that oil vapor will slow down in the large hose allowing it to drop out of the air easier in the catch cans. Also mounted the cans low so the oil has to fight gravity to the intake.

Edit:
Now that I think about it the cobra pcv does not close under vacuum or boost with my system plumbed this way. There is no boost pressure from the lower intake to close the pcv under boost. So I guess a pcv valve is really not needed in my case.

·
909 Posts
I may run both valve covers to a T right behind the blower and down tot he turkey pan. I just don't want to keep cleaning the intercooler but would like to last a little longer between oil changes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you've deleted the turkey pan port and vac line then ran catch cans in line on both valve covers with 3/4 in tubing with a cobra pcv. Now our stock pcv valves don't seal the way the cobra does correct so is that necessary for your routing since your turkey pan is deleted no boost from that line anymore. Or am I missing something

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
I may run both valve covers to a T right behind the blower and down tot he turkey pan. I just don't want to keep cleaning the intercooler but would like to last a little longer between oil changes.
i don't see how that will evac the crank case. where is the fresh air going to come from?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I have 2 vented Moroso catch cans. One is going to the driver's side valve cover and the other is coming from the passenger side valve cover. They are mounted on the frame rail close to the front, easy to drain them. After changing back to the stock valve covers from the piece of shit TF covers, all I get is moisture in the passenger side can, no oil.

·
909 Posts
i don't see how that will evac the crank case. where is the fresh air going to come from?
The turkey pan will have vacuum when idling but I will need a one valve to keep the boost from going into the valve covers

1 - 20 of 46 Posts