Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at my buddies pristine 04 mustang today (4.6) I noted a sweet little bracket mounting the power steering resi to the front of the head and thought I like that ...then noticed the T in the hose below and the line running back to the master cylinder

which leads me to note there's no space for a vacuum booster on THAT firewall,and the now obvious question..

can I use this in my '01 N/A 5.4 f150 and would I need anything else?
and do I need to change the pump if the unit is usable ?
likely needing longer (new) hoses is a given
because,"free" hydroboost would be a nice up grade to go with the lighting front brake swap

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
IDK, but why not just use a bigger unit from a PSD? I got mine off a wrecked 02 F250 with an old 7.3L PSD.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah ,I've been thinking a similar thought too the local pick a part is only 7 minutes away
I'm just wondering if there's two cheep n easy factory options to do it

lol
and I'm feeling the compulsion to go snag one of those brackets tomorrow morning .. looks like a worth while project for the day
you know ..moving that XXXXXXX reservoir bottle
..cough,
FINALLY

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
The psd setup is proven to work with numerous write ups and part numbers. Why guess when a known option exists?

That said, a hydro boost on a truck with stock cams is just there to increase pedal feel.

These trucks will run into the abs with a stock booster which means maximum pressure exists. Adding more pressure won't change anything.

Decreased braking distance comes in the form of increased pad swept area, increased tire adhesion and increased friction pad compound.

Repeatable braking is increased with rotor size for cooling, rotor venting, and good fluid.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ment to say thanks earlier ..but still ,thanks
I'd like to add "more feeling" along with the lightning brake upgrade
the mustang set up was interesting mostly in being .. well not so noticeable

and "just goes into abs"..that's well phrased..mine will lock the wheels at 35-40 mph for 10-20 feet on a hot summer day but not on ice

gladly it won't try to roll through busy intersections in the snow like my t bird super coupe tried to do

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
ment to say thanks earlier ..but still ,thanks
I'd like to add "more feeling" along with the lightning brake upgrade
the mustang set up was interesting mostly in being .. well not so noticeable

and "just goes into abs"..that's well phrased..mine will lock the wheels at 35-40 mph for 10-20 feet on a hot summer day but not on ice

gladly it won't try to roll through busy intersections in the snow like my t bird super coupe tried to do

The mustang hydro boost and powerstroke hydro boost look the same except the mounting. So I don't see how it's less noticable.

This is my hydro boost setup.

Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 7 of 7 Posts