Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wifey's car is a 2013 Taurus SEL. Car has roughly 64K miles. Today the touch screen went black. (Blank might be a better description) The radio is still playing, but none of the buttons will change anything, only the volume knob will thankfully adjust the volume to cut the sound down so that you're not listening to static. I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes, but it didn't reset it to working like some claim it will.

Anyone know how to fix this issue? I would say that just the touchscreen is bad, but the seek/tune/power buttons won't work either so it leads me to believe it's more than just a bad display. Poor wifey even has to take a road trip tomorrow.

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 18 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0T
872 Posts
Sync has always been a half baked system. It was one of the first domestic infotainment systems, but it was never very good. The original version used to be well known to crash constantly. The later versions got somewhat better, but still one of the worst systems.

Have you done a Master Reset yet? That would be where I would begin. How to do a Ford Sync Master Reset | Bo Beuckman Quality Ford

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I have, but I have to try doing it by disconnecting the battery because my screen doesn't work. The only other thing I can find to try is to pull out the audio and navigation fuses for a few minutes to see if it resets the system. After that I'll likely have to get it looked at and then processed from there. Apparently upgrading to Sync 3 has become very popular on Sync 1 and 2 cars. Ford would charge out the butt even just to replace the Sync 2 APIM which is what I believe the problem is.

·
AntiSocial
872 Posts
I’ve seen advertisements for the upgrade to Sync3. Isn’t it like $1500 without navigation and $1800 with as a kit? Pricey upgrade. Wonder if you could just piece meal it, or if it needs programming.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
10,983 Posts
I’ve seen advertisements for the upgrade to Sync3. Isn’t it like $1500 without navigation and $1800 with as a kit? Pricey upgrade. Wonder if you could just piece meal it, or if it needs programming.
it needs programming. you can actually find write ups on the forums for almost all fords to upgrade. But the programming can be done for free via forscan.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes they can be expensive if you don't shop around, but you can piece it together off Ebay, but they sell U.S. kits for about $800 or Chinese kits that claim to use OEM parts for about $600. Like Dusten said you have to program it to your car. I guess you need to use the VIN to do so, and I'm trying to figure the Forscan software out. I guess it's free software you just need a laptop and a OBDII adaptor to use it. You would have to program a new Sync 2 APIM regardless if you decide to just stick with that system.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
10,983 Posts
Forscan is stupid easy to use. And there are a ton of how to's

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,390 Posts
Its an Explorer site but, you might find some answers here....

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I hated the SYNC in my 2013 Mustang GT track pack. The SYNC in our family 2016 Fusion is much improved.

·
Slevin
977 Posts
Look for an aftermarket radio with Android auto and carplay support.
Sync sucks, sync 3 included.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey everybody. Never been that active in here bc I work so much. Plus haven't drove my L for 2 years so just getting back.
1st, Im a big time audio snob, if I bought a car w a touchscreen thing, 1st thing I would do is pull it out and redo the entire system asap. Now Im having problems because ppl broke into it so many times, they hacked into factory wiring (NEVER DO!) So Im dealing with that.
Trying to fix the 1st sync, what a pain. You are looking for absolute tons of hours and strife ending w no results. Ask yourself if it is worth it just to have factory. I would upgrade it and make Ford do it so when it goes janky not your problem.
One of my jobs I am in different rental vehicles for work. The last ford sync one was a 2017 hybrid. It was decent. Touchscreen systems on Nissan's. That engineer needs to be dragged behind a horse. At lot of them are trash. Oh yeah and my friend has 2019 ford explorer. Can't stand her touch screen either. It has navigation.
Maybe Im cranky or old fashioned. Or a snob. I want real dials to adjust power, sound levels and cutoffs during a song. Change XM channels w buttons on a kit. Touch screen you have to mash the screens hard to get a response. Hate to say it the one touch screen I would tolerate is on the 2020 Toyota Corolla.
When I got my L in 2004 had a 8 hr long road trip. Had to drive it that whole time w factory deck and I thought I was going to die.
Your wife is probably a normal person. Sooo anyways thanks for listening to my TED talk.

·
AntiSocial
872 Posts
The way everything is so integrated these days, OEM is pretty much the only way to go.
if I were to try to change out the audio in either of my cars, I’d lose everything. The Bimmer forget about it. EVERYTHING goes through the iDrive, from the stereo, to the seat adjustments/cooling/heating/massage, to the safety systems, to the parking systems, to the apps and internet. Noway it’s going anywhere. The Chevy is a little more independent, but still has the audio, internet, cameras and OnStar.
its just the way things are in the 21st century. Everything has to be connected to the high speed CANBus so that every module knows what every other one is doing. That’s what allows the safety nannies and autonomous stuff to work properly. I don’t see things changing. Pretty soon aftermarket head units will be rare, and the only upgrades available will be speakers and amps, which will be tied into the CANBus as well. Not sure that’s even necessary given the high end units that oems are using.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mike is correct. These modern systems are too integrated into the vehicle to want to go to an aftermarket head unit, and just to make an aftermarket headunit work in a modern vehicle is a expensive PITA. This isn't like the old days where you just buy a headunit, a wiring/mounting kit and a soldering kit and install everything in a couple hours.

Trust me I'd love to upgrade the system in my 19 Camaro 1SS 1LE. Even the 2SS's Bose system is lacking, and the 1SS's is really lacking. On top of that the 1SS 1LE system is even worse than a regular 1SS's so it's really, really lacking. I think the regular 1SS uses an external amp, whereas the 1SS 1LE has no external amp. (I think that's what it is, but I've been perma-banned from the GEN5/6 forum and can't check to see for sure) That is just dumb and makes it a PITA to upgrade. That would be like if you wanted a new Mustang GT, but can't really afford it, so you look for the most basic, entry level, no option GT you can find. Then you find another entry level GT where the only option on it is a PP1/PP2 package. The PP packages will upgrade things like wheels/tires/brakes/springs/shocks/rear gears/swaybars/maybe an extra cooler here or there, etc, but still the interior is the same, right? Your seats, dash, gauge cluster, infotainment, etc is the same in a base GT as it is in a base GT PP1? But what if it was, "well the base GT's sound system uses an external amp, but the base GT PP1 car doesn't." That wouldn't make much sense, but that or something like it is how it is between the sound systems in a 1SS and a 1SS 1LE. On top of that just to get the Chevy MyLink system to read an aftermarket amp on the 19+ models you have to buy this converter thing that costs like $600+. It's gotten so complicated just to send a signal to the speakers with these new systems that they confuse the hell out of me. It's alway, "you need this little box thing (that if you're not a tech buff you don't really know what it is/does other than always you to use aftermarket components in your new car) to send a signal or something from the factory infotainment system to your upgraded amp/speakers or they won't work in your ride, and BTW the little box/signal convertor thing costs close to a grand.

The OEM's make everything such a PITA to upgrade these days. If you own a 16-19 GEN6 automatic Camaro you can tune your transmission. (6/8/10 speed, doesn't matter) If you own a 20/21 Camaro you cannot tune the transmission. Chevys got it locked tighter than Fort Knox, and you cannot convert it to the setup that a 16-19 Camaro uses to manage the auto transmissions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sync in general is a headache, I work on Sync systems daily, what goes out majority of the time is the APIM, which is the brain to the sync system, not cheap either.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sync in general is a headache, I work on Sync systems daily, what goes out majority of the time is the APIM, which is the brain to the sync system, not cheap either.
Do you know how well those China sold kits work? New OEM is really expensive, and the used market has caught on to people buying to upgrade to Sync 3 it seems so not cheap to buy salvage parts either.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do you know how well those China sold kits work? New OEM is really expensive, and the used market has caught on to people buying to upgrade to Sync 3 it seems so not cheap to buy salvage parts either.
I haven't really heard of how well those China sold kits work because we stick to OEM, I know I've had customers tell me there's websites that sell upgrades like from Sync 2 to Sync 3 , but also not much experience with that either sorry. A quick googling and it seems even from third parties its $400+ ouch, it sucks that those systems have been out for a while and they still haven't figured out the bugs. Sync 4 comes out next year I believe, that'll be fun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts