Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to build an oem bezel for a iPad Mini for awhile, finally got the opportunity! Goal here was to mount the iPad Mini in a slide mount horizontally making the install/removal as simple as possible. Was able to get to this stage keeping all the 4 mounting clips working correctly. Only issues was one of the vent housing mounts needed to be cut off, I am going to slightly relocate this mount to fix this problem.

Next stage is to mount a single din headunit recessed into the iPad oem bezel. iPad Mini will connect to the headunit with bluetooth, clean and simple.

iPad Mini that was sent to me was bent, so had to use online dimensions to build a dummy.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I been watching the build on Facebook it certainly looks interesting. Coming along nicely it looks like.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goal of this build was to keep it simple and clean. Adding the charger port would require the iPad be mounted vertical and the slide mount not feasible. A wireless charger is a possibility, but the better option is to just charge the iPad at home or in the office before using it in the vehicle. If a charge is required the iPad is easily removed and the cig port can be used. My other goal was not to interfere with the stock a/c control panel, which required the horizontal install, not a fan of how a vertically mounted iPad looks in a vehicle.

This build is right up against both vent housings, so a built-in charger port would require the vent housings be modified. This JUST fits.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,406 Posts
Steve...

Thats really cool. Great concept. Nice to see more outside the box ideas from you.

If you do another one and want to experiment, you ought to look at some other charging solutions... my Nikon D300 has a slide and lock battery charger. You shove the battery pack into the left side where its retained, and then it friction locks on the right. I think one of my Sony cameras has a similar one. Anyway, the battery (or in your case a iPad mini) lays flat and secure, you use a finger recess to pull the RHS out, then while its on an angle you tug to the right and the power section disengages.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts