Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the recent addition of Dynatech Longtube headers, high flow cats, and midpipes to the 03L the exhaust sound has increased (imagine that).

The exhaust is loud through the first 3 gears, but once in overdrive its not much different. But it is still too loud for me inside. So I decided to add some sound deadener to tone it down a little inside the cab.
Some of the Lightning / Harley Truck guys have had great results doing this. I used "B-Quiet Extreme" brand verses using the "Dynamat" brand simply because the B-Quiet is way lower priced and most say is actually better than Dynamat. It will add 50-75 pounds....but on a 5000 lb. truck...who really cares.

While I was at it, I rewired my Line Lock and moved the activation switch from the upper console to the underside of the steering column shroud. (no pics)

I also wired up my door panel courtesy lights.

Here are the first pics of the interior stripped down ready to start the install.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two layers on floor and back wall of the B-Quiet (100 sq ft used) then added the V-Comp (Black 3/8 foam with rubber backing)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely lined the inside of the doors

Lined where weather sheild goes on before the door panels (and new Pioneer speakers front and rear) Also added a layer to the inside of the roof (no pics)

Made unused 03-04 courtesy lights functional like 99-02 Lightnings They had white lenses with red reflectors where mine are red/red.

Ricer LED's in Door handle pocket (had to do a ricer mod)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Very nice job.
Yep, I was thinking of adding Dynamat or something to help quiet the interior some.
However, I wasn't sure about adding the extra 50-75 lbs. as the HD is tipping the scales quite a bit already.
But if it tones down the sound of long tubes... hmmm... might be worth it!
Should make your sound system sound better too.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Bro, you never seize to amaze me  [smilie=bow.gif] [smilie=bow.gif] [smilie=bow.gif]
Simply amazing, your workmanship is 2nd to none  :smt023 :smt023

AND THE RESULTS  :smt102

BTW,
I'm really starting to get scared, with these 3" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats going on mine,
something tells me it's going to be REAL LOUD :smt101

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
Bro, you never seize to amaze me  [smilie=bow.gif] [smilie=bow.gif] [smilie=bow.gif]
Simply amazing, your workmanship is 2nd to none  :smt023 :smt023

AND THE RESULTS  :smt102

BTW,
I'm really starting to get scared, with these 3" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats going on mine,
something tells me it's going to be REAL LOUD :smt101
Well Duhhhhh! :D

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
That looks Sweet, I don't do that much hwy driveing so The Long Tubes,high flow cats and silver bullet may be tollerable then. But chirs I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
KB Zilla the thrilla! You rock man!!! KICK ASS WORK! Makes me motivated to do something like that sir! [smilie=bow.gif] :smt023

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody :D I try to put my best work into anything I do. And I want a well rounded Lightning that not only looks great but also performs. The looking good is almost done..now to concentrate on getting the motor combination just right [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow, Great Job! Your work never ceases to amaze me. I love your truck. If you priced it out, is the dynamat alot more expensive than what you used? I was thinking of doing some sound deadening, not quite as extensive as yours, but just to get rid of some rattles and some road noise.

Jon

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I don;t have any rattles uhmmm errr well I can't hear them over the exhaust anyway if I do.

That issome sweet work you do.

How long did it take you to cvomplete this project? If I did this over the weekend would I have plenty of time to get it back together before the start fo the week?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Avalanche said:
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I don;t have any rattles uhmmm errr well I can't hear them over the exhaust anyway if I do.

That issome sweet work you do.

How long did it take you to cvomplete this project? If I did this over the weekend would I have plenty of time to get it back together before the start fo the week?
Yeah, you could do it in a weekend....I stretched mine out over a few weeks....I seem to always be working on about 3 projects at a time :D

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Looks great man! Thanks for the warmup pics. I just got my 100 Sq ft. roll of Fatmat and will be doing my L sometime this weekend hopefully. Glad you didn't go with Dynomat. Totally overpriced stuff.
Did you do the roof at all? In any case, great job!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
typhoon43 said:
Looks great man! Thanks for the warmup pics. I just got my 100 Sq ft. roll of Fatmat and will be doing my L sometime this weekend hopefully. Glad you didn't go with Dynomat. Totally overpriced stuff.
Did you do the roof at all?  In any case, great job!
I double layered the whole entire floor and rear cab wall. A single layer on the roof, single layer inside the doorskin, single layer where the door panel goes. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks sweet as hell man. Top notch quality bro! My enhaust is loud as hell too but I could care less cause most of the time I just shut the radio off so I can hear the exhaust better! :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very nice work sir!

My truck has so much noise from behind me I look to see if the back door is open . :shock:
Suprise no back door. Must be the air flaps to equalise the pressure when you close the door.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts