Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
re-born
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for the last 30 minutes trying to figure out what paint will best match the dark grey part of the dash.

I found that SEM 5102 is close but I can't find that paint on SEM's site.

Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
what are you painting? doing my pillar in the krylon vinyl and carpet paint in gray worked great for me, its not a major piece but its close for a touch up

·
Ford Certified Technician
5,194 Posts
^^^^ was going to say I painted the outside of the door pocket with that and it was super close... so close i forgot i painted it almost 2yrs ago now.

·
re-born
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm painting my expy console sides to match the dash, and eventually everything medium graphite will be dark graphite. I don't like the contrast of the lighter gray to my black carpet.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Only product I've used that was a match for the interior grey is:

Dupli-Color Vinyl and Interior Spray Dye
- VS #11 Medium Grey (this is the one if your trying to match the surrounding dash)
- VS #8 Light Grey (match for the lighter grey in the truck, a-pillars)

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6042

SEM Color Coat for Interior
- Light Graphite - 4967 or 4980 (not 100%)
- Dark Graphite - 5102 (People say this match's... it is darker)
- Ebony Black/Harley - 4559 (Perfect match)

I too want to find the correct SEM grey color mix so I can purchase quarts to spray with a gun. I've purchased 3 quarts of SEM 5102 for Mikes build and they are all darker than the oem grey. It is a nicer looking grey thou.

SEM 5102 looks identical till you place the parts next to each other. It's close, but 2-3 shades off.

Before

After

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Go to your local parts store and just by this stuff.

- VS #11 Medium Grey

Trick with getting away with painting parts with the other SEM paint is to make sure the parts you are painting are separated by a gap. If there is no gap it's very noticeable, the gap helps hide the slight color difference.

·
re-born
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go to your local parts store and just by this stuff.

- VS #11 Medium Grey

Trick with getting away with painting parts with the other SEM paint is to make sure the parts you are painting are separated by a gap. If there is no gap it's very noticeable, the gap helps hide the slight color difference.

alright. thanks for the help.

:bigtu

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would like to share my experiences with different paints for interior projects. Essentially the different brands and shades for the light gray and dark gray interior colors:

LMR Medium Graphite (Light Gray): I used this for my console panels. Shade is a very good match, but I'm hesitant to ever use LMR's paints again.

Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric HVP-109 Medium Gray (Light Gray):
I used this after I had a mishap with LMR paint listed above. Color shade is a very good match. If I had to do it all over again, HVP-109 would be my pick.

LMR Dark Graphite (Dark Gray):
I used this for my cup holder section of my center console. Pics here:http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/14-gen-2-lightnings/32073-center-console-thread-31.html

It's a close match to our dark gray interior pieces; however, it is a couple shades lighter. I would like to find something closer.

Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric HVP-111 Charcoal Gray (Dark Gray): This is a bad choice when trying to match our dark gray interior pieces. This gray is too dark and has a hint of blue to it. For comparison:
Auto part Electronic device

Technology Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part

I went to my local Auto Value store where they have a good variety of SEM paints. I found three that look promising:

SEM Color Coat Presidio 15163
SEM Color Coat Medium Slate Gray 15873
SEM Color Coat Medium Gray 15393

I will update with findings once I decide which one to go with.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Update.

I found a center console at the junkyard that had a cupholder section which appeared to be the same shade of gray as our dash (didn't know they came in this color). It was beat up, and not the version I prefer to use, so I took it to help with comparing samples. My cup holder is currently sprayed with LMR Dark Graphite #MET-FV50DL which as explained in the post above, is close, but could be closer. Pictured below is a comparison of the different shades I've tried. As you can see, my most recent attempt with Med Slate Gray was way off. The SEM Color Chip samples and rattle can caps cannot be trusted when figuring out the correct shade. I think I'm just going to go with Landau Black with the cup holder section.
Technology Electronic device Gadget

1 - 20 of 26 Posts