Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason today I decided to check the flow of my intercooler. I must say it looks weak compared to some videos I have seen. Looks like it's only flowing about 1 gallon per min. Sometimes it barely picks up flow. Can I clean the intercooler without taking it out. Any liquids I can shove in there. The Bosch pump only has less then 5,000 miles I would say. I think for the heat exchanger I can stick a garden hose and clean it out.

· Registered
598 Posts
You are getting answers to two different types of cleaning. To clean the tubes where the air travels thru you have to remove it. But I think what you are asking is there a way to clean the water jackets out. I would first check the pump, then check for a kinked hose. Then try a radiator flush (I like Prestone Radiator Flush) with pure water. Take it out for a drive and let it warm up the intercooler and let the flush run thru the system for 20 minutes to an hour, then drain it, put in clear water, run it and drain it again until it comes out clear when you drain it. The Intercooler can collect crud just like a regular radiator. Then fill it with a little antifreeze or water wetter and clear water.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I ran a prestone radiator flush and the flow started to pick up. Went to my buddies house and when I got home, it's like the flush didn't work. The water is dirty though. What gives? And there's no kinks in the line

· Racer of the Jackstand Racing Team
2,408 Posts
If the flush worked, all it did was dislodge particles in the system to get caught up somewhere else.

You say that your bosch pump is relatively new. Is it a replacement pump or a cheap knock off version.

· Bet you were born naked, you SLUT!
910 Posts
I did a radiator flush and almost killed my car. I left the t stat in and took it for a drive, the flush knocked the gunk loose and the gunk parked itself right on my t stat! I would pull the intercooler and try to manually flush it.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased an original Bosch pump. So it says. I hope u guys can see this post as I don't want to create a new thread. I scanned the truck for codes and 3 came up. The one that caught my attention was code P1229 which I read has to do with the intercooler pump. The other 2 have to do with the egr but it's deleted so that's why I didn't care for it. I'm still gonna take out the intercooler and manually clean it. Just that code has me worried. It has more then one meaning but has to do with the pump

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I flushed it today and so far it's been going good. Flow has picked up I would say twice as much. Before it was like a waterfall and now it actually has force.

· Registered
56 Posts
intercooler flushing

hey red bull...I used some marine heat exchanger scale remover and a cheap harbor freight 12v bilge pump to flush my replacement intercooler after the one that came with my truck pissed out.i used distilled water and a 5 gallon bucket to set up a recirculating loop and let it run for about an hour.i also clamped paint strainer filters to the inside of the bucket with spring clamps to catch any debris that came from the intercooler.this can be done while still in truck.i would suggest determining flow direction and setting up flush in opposite of that.scale remover can be obtained at any marine hardware store and most give small bottles as free samples.hope this helps..good luck

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey red bull...I used some marine heat exchanger scale remover and a cheap harbor freight 12v bilge pump to flush my replacement intercooler after the one that came with my truck pissed out.i used distilled water and a 5 gallon bucket to set up a recirculating loop and let it run for about an hour.i also clamped paint strainer filters to the inside of the bucket with spring clamps to catch any debris that came from the intercooler.this can be done while still in truck.i would suggest determining flow direction and setting up flush in opposite of that.scale remover can be obtained at any marine hardware store and most give small bottles as free samples.hope this helps..good luck
Thank you for the advice. Will definitely look into that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.