Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today instead of driving around in this perfect 75° weather I decided to tear the truck down to clean the intercooler and change the spark plugs. Let's just say I should've gone for the drive instead. First issue was removing the blower bolts, the front drivers side snapped, and you can see the remnants in the hole in the first picture.
The second picture is of the rotors, which seem to be flaking pretty bad, so my question is should I replace these or clean them to take care of the flaking? Also my boost actuator broke in half....

Attachments

· Registered
4,880 Posts
A lot of guys just strip the rotors. Seeing you are in Michigan you can go to line2line Coatings in Clarkston to replace the coating. They coat pistons and supercharger rotors. That broken bolt sucks. You could try to use an extractor but DO NOT BREAK IT OFF. Use some heat in the area too. Personally, I would place a nut on top of the broken bolt and weld the nut to the bolt. Then you can use a socket to remove it and the heat really helps. Good luck

If it makes you feel any better I was working on the family cottage all day doing foundation work...

· Registered
698 Posts
Just thought you would want to know what a clean one looks like.....LOL

BTW: you WILL need heat to remove the broken off bolt. (If a good bolt broke off, the ez-out will too)
Use a propane torch. Not MAP gas, Propane will not get hot enough to damage the aluminum.
That is an early manifold. (99-00) You might put out feelers for another one. They used to be cheap.

Eaton: If you strip the rotors, consider putting the plastic back on. It tightens up the clearances.

The boost regulator motors are on EBAY sometimes for $35 used or $65 new at LFP.

Miz

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt I'm going to put it back together without that bolt and bring it by anyways to see if you guys could get it out while you are diagnosing that whine that I have. I'll have to look them up and see how much they charge, instead of just buying new rotors.

Miz thanks for the info, I'm going to clean everything up tonight and tomorrow, but if I can get the manifold clean enough I'll probably just keep it for now. You should see the rest of it, the rotors had oil dripping off of them, literally.

· Registered
71 Posts
Just thought you would want to know what a clean one looks like.....LOL

BTW: you WILL need heat to remove the broken off bolt. (If a good bolt broke off, the ez-out will too)
Use a propane torch. Not MAP gas, Propane will not get hot enough to damage the aluminum.
That is an early manifold. (99-00) You might put out feelers for another one. They used to be cheap.

Eaton: If you strip the rotors, consider putting the plastic back on. It tightens up the clearances.

The boost regulator motors are on EBAY sometimes for $35 used or $65 new at LFP.

Miz
Man that thing looks brand spanking new! Why taunt the man?! Lol!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure how many miles you have on it, but the contacting of the rotors look to be just on the end, thinking possible bad rotor bearing? could be part of the whine also
130k. Maybe? I know the whine is related to the crank pulley because when I pull off the supercharger belt it's still there, but not as high pitched and pronounced.

Man that thing looks brand spanking new! Why taunt the man?! Lol!
lol I know right?! I was working on it more today and in the back of my head the image of this perfect manifold thanks to Miz.

· Cogswell Cogs
3,392 Posts
130k. Maybe? I know the whine is related to the crank pulley because when I pull off the supercharger belt it's still there, but not as high pitched and pronounced.

lol I know right?! I was working on it more today and in the back of my head the image of this perfect manifold thanks to Miz.

Possibly the power steering pump??? :smt102 Just tossing a thought out there..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.