Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Just got back from Shannonville Ontario Canada Running the road corse. I've changed the truck over to be 1 of the 1%ers. LOL Anyway 4 for us went up there 3 Lightnings and a Cobra. We all came back BUT 1 Lightning came back on a trailer.
It started on the way up Ricks truck took a rock in the inter cooler we smelled it at customs. I pinched off the line for him and took off the belt to the SC we filled up the tank and headed off to the radiator shop down the road. (the others called while we were temp fixing) Had it fixed and back on the road to the track and hotel with no trouble. On the way to the track the next morning Ricks truck picks up a miss and we tried a few things but didnt help so he calles the local ford and they take him right in. Find out its the # 7 cyc. so I changed the coil and plug and eveything is good. He goes out on the track and runs one session and the truck ran great. On the second run the truck ran about 4 laps then it died. Rick had all he could do to get it off the track. I check it out and cant find anything. Hook up the SCT 2 to it and find it threw 11 codes! 5 were trans related because he forgot to turn off his overdrive. the others we couldnt get to clear. Talk to the Ford rep there at the track about the codes and he said he could get what they were for us that night and would bring them with him to dinner. Well he didnt make dinner so we made a few calls and Ricks son and wife were on there way up to the track with a trailer to get Ricks truck.
The reps came over in the morning and say that there was a code for a inter cooler fuse and some o2 sensors (rears) we have those turned off. We checked all the wires under the truck and then go looking for the fuse. Found it in the black box in the left front fender towards the for of it. A 15 AMP fuse. YEP it was blown so we changed that and the truck started and ran fine. Mean while Ricks wife and son are on there way up to get him. Its now about 10 am and they were on the road at 5am. So he figures there on there way so lets try it. He goes out there and runs 3 laps and it happens again. same thing. So he calls it a day and waits for the wife and son to arrive. We'll fix it when we get home. Everyone had a GREAT TIME!! including Rick We decided to all come home a day early with Rick. Left the track at 3:30 PM AND GOT HOME AT 1:30 am. not to bad of a ride 425 miles. The next day Rick and I are trying different things and decide to take out the relay and just let the pump run to see if it blowes the fuse. The truck hasn't been run so theres no heat in the heat exchanger. After about 20 mins the pumps still running but its really hot. I would have to beleive that when the truck is running and the pump is on that it would be very very hot and probably blowing the fuse putting the truck in limp mode. I did notice that when we first turned the pump on it change tone after about 1 min like it slowed down. Im just wondering if the pump may have been damaged when we leacked out the coolant I didnt think that all if it leaked out there was a good size puddle under the truck after we pulled over trying to crimp it off.
What do you guys think. bad pump or maybe something pushing around in the coolant getting cought up in the pump? And should have the pump gotten hot when we did the test. the coolant was cold and should have kept the pump cool. I could see a little temp but it was hot enough that you couldnt hold your hand on it for more them a few seconds.

Chuck

·
Registered
29 Posts
jesus

sounds like a day in the life of me.........hehe.

Sounds to me that the pump could have overheated and is now damaged. Usually on electric motors when they heat up and expand is when they have problems. I put it's heating and shorting out.

How much fluid did he leak from the i/c???

EBAY always has pumps for like 95 bucks. Dealer wants like 350.

I would take the pump off your truck and put it on his and see if it does the same thing. Cheapest diagnostic route.

Good luck!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts