Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys/gals. Ive been doin a lil research on flow numbers for pumps and such. As most here know alot of people fight with IAT2's all to often. So in hopes of helping people in the future and for general data i wld like everyone to post up what kind of system you have(tank,pump,line size,exc). But i would also like for you to test your system and provide how long it takes to fill a 1 gallon jug. By doing this we can see what real numbers certain pumps do with dif systems. Ive seen plenty of threads of people talkin about this system but not much real info. I will start. 10 gallon tank in the bed (not going to run it full) 3/4 inch lines, jabsco pump mounted in stock location, fluidyne heat exchanger, stock intercooler with 3/4 inch barbes. My system took about 8-9 seconds to fill a jug. So roughly 7.5 to 8 true gallons a min.
Lets hear what yall got!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, so nobody has tested the flow rate of their intercooler systems? I really think if everyone with different systems tested them and reported in this thread i think it wld help get some very good info. Ive read that water/coolant speed through the system is one of if not the most important part of a system that works vs one that does not. Also since most pumps are rated with no head pressures then we can see what real world numbers they make.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
This is a taboo subject that no one wants to talk about or acknowledge.

Your system flows 7.5-8 gal/min so if your truck runs a 10 second quarter mile you only have 1.33 gallons passing through your intercooler during the entire pass. But yet you have a 10 gallon tank in the bed.

This is the number one reason that the IAT’s are so high on these trucks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a taboo subject that no one wants to talk about or acknowledge.

Your system flows 7.5-8 gal/min so if your truck runs a 10 second quarter mile you only have 1.33 gallons passing through your intercooler during the entire pass. But yet you have a 10 gallon tank in the bed.

This is the number one reason that the IAT’s are so high on these trucks.
My truck is no track truck. Almost all street. I want max cooling for street use, hence the bigger tank(hopefully alot longer without heatsoak). Also i stated in my first post it wld not be ran full as i wanted some expansion room so maybe 7 gallons total. Im not sure yet(may end up being to big and i change to like a 5 gallon or something.). Any way all that is besides the point. I started the thread to see what kind of real world flow numbers people are getting out of different setups and different pumps. Maybe im the only one that likes to gather info and experiment with stuff.
If i had more pumps or such i wld try a duel pump set up ran in parrellel and then maybe ran in series. Different locations for the pumps. Just to see what wld produce the best results. But ive only got a jabsco, cxracing, and a rebuilt factory(kinda on the fritz). I wldnt mind trying a davies craig i think it was or a duel jabsco setup but dont have the funds to play with for that right now. If anybody has and extra that i cld borrow for a lil while i wld gladly test them and send them back afterwards. And i guess if all this is that taboo then i will just drop it and experiment myself when time and funds allow.👍

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,441 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
I been saying for a while that the lightnings would be a great candidate for a upside down blower set-up. Would have a better intercooler and wouldn't have to worry about being able to feed the blower properly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
But flow wise we run a 800gph pump which should be near 13 gpm... Although we are doing it on 5/8 lines which probably changes things. That is on our race set up. Street wise we just use the stock pump...

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,927 Posts
Voltage step up convertor...
Marty is that the exact model you are running and how long have you had that install seems like a no brainer are you running the jacobs pump I have it in my cart to buy now thanks great info

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X2! Is iy just the 4 wire hook up? Thought about doin this but wasnt for sure. Thanks CD!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
But flow wise we run a 800gph pump which should be near 13 gpm... Although we are doing it on 5/8 lines which probably changes things. That is on our race set up. Street wise we just use the stock pump...
That’s the exact problem, the lines and the connections to the intercooler itself are a huge restriction. It doesn’t matter how big your pump is if you’re trying to shove the water through a coffee straw.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That’s the exact problem, the lines and the connections to the intercooler itself are a huge restriction. It doesn’t matter how big your pump is if you’re trying to shove the water through a coffee straw.
Yep which is why we run straight ice water at the track and can circulate it independently at any time to pre chill the intercooler. Also, e85 helps a ton.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,441 Posts
This is the same step up convertor I'm using. I have a Rule 2000 pump inside the tank.
As for the 4 wires,
Red 12v+ in
Black Ground
Yellow 16v+ out
Ground

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

There’s a lot of good information on this website.
That was the exact site i was looking gor. I had read through all of it before but cldnt find it again. Thank you!

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,927 Posts
From what I have read the jacobs pumps lots of us are running is only rated for 12v dc

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what I have read the jacobs pumps lots of us are running is only rated for 12v dc
I havent found any other voltage spec other than 12 for a jabsco either. I run a jabsco aswell. I think ive read somewhere that some here had but not sure how well the pump held up at that voltage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts