Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought ya'll might like to see a cheaper alternative to the 6.5" spal fans that are so popular.  The 5.6" flow 91% the same air volume but yet they only use 40% the power to do it!

Only down side I see is that they are much thicker.  But on my 02 gen 2 they fit perfectly.

Rich

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and btw... I got them through jaycorp for $39 a piece.

Rich

·
Registered
454 Posts
Those are neat, almost looks like you could fit three of them.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
WOO HOO, Think I just found next Months "MOD OF THE MONTH" for E-Zine

I like it, :smt023 :smt023 and even my cheap ass can afford it [smilie=bow.gif]
Nice find, mod and install Rich :cheers:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 will fit easily.

Also I've got a good friend that's an "EE". He's helping me get it wired up properly. I'll post how we did it after it's finalized.

Rich

G

·
I wonder if you could run the fans and the pump with the engine off for long. Long enough to completely cool the fluid?

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
well, there is one way to find out.

G

·
I bet you could use some alcohol or some other rapidly evaporating non corrosive liquid to really cool down in the pits with those bitches.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if you could run the fans and the pump with the engine off for long.  Long enough to completely cool the fluid?
That's a big reason why I honed in on the 5.6" fans instead of the 6.5" fans.  They use 40% the amps that the larger 6.5" ones do.   I can run them twice as long as most other lightning guys and still not use as many "amp hours".

Sounds good! When I get the proper switch in place I'll document everything about it and submit it as an Article.

Rich

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
I like that better than the $500 efan everyone has, I may do that this summer as it's so cheap.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
99BlackBeast, I think your thinking about the radiator fans? They are in the $400 range. (my flex-a-lite 270 was)

This whole "intercooler fans" set up has cost around $100.

Rich

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had to order a switch through Grainger. But I'll document it all w/pics.

Rich

·
Registered
568 Posts
well there are many ways to wire it up (former car audio installer)

To turn on when the I/C pumps are on only:
Easiest way would be to splice into the power wire going to the intercooler pump, run it into a relay (regular 5 prong relay "Bosch"). Have it flip the relay to send a 12v to the small fans.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
PROBLEY WILL DO SAME

I like it, :smt023 :smt023 and even my cheap ass can afford it [smilie=bow.gif]
Nice find, mod and install Rich :cheers:

Intercooler fans, with shroud
:rockon_ford:bigtu:woohoo

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I've been running twin Spal 7" fans with the IC pump and had no problems at all cooling in the pits between runs - battery drain is minimal. Here's the wiring setup I used - I only show one fan, but you can visualize 2 , etc there. I used 2 relays to keep the IC pump isolated so that it wouldn't turn on the fans whenever the pump kicks on - no need during normal operation - just needed it for the strip.

Bird

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
THANKS VERY GOOD DIAGRAM

I've been running twin Spal 7" fans with the IC pump and had no problems at all cooling in the pits between runs - battery drain is minimal. Here's the wiring setup I used - I only show one fan, but you can visualize 2 , etc there. I used 2 relays to keep the IC pump isolated so that it wouldn't turn on the fans whenever the pump kicks on - no need during normal operation - just needed it for the strip.

Bird

:bigtuI will probley use this wiring diagram for the fans,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts