Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I read the directions and while I am not that big of a fan of drilling holes in stock a pillar cover I would do it but maybe I am not seeing something correctly. I ordered the gauge pod off summit and I don't get how you are to mount it. It says it installs over stock trim but stock trim is held in place by the grab handle. I swear I am not a moron but am I missing something or does this pod just not work or does someone have a tip on what they did to install it?

Thanks for your help

Chris

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I cleaned off the area really good on the pod and column with rubbing alcohol and cut a few pieces of 3m double sided tape on the pod then I mounted it held in place for about 1 min and it's been holding down and strong for the past 2 weeks in the summer Cali heat

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Regardless of how you affix the pillar pod to the factory piece you will need to secure it to a-pillar by whatever method you deem satisfactory. Typically this is achieved by using one bolt/screw through the pod into the metal a-pillar. The snap fastener on the backside of the factory trim doesn't usually have enough strength to hold all of the additional weight of the gauges without the assistance of a bolt/screw.

Here's an old pic of how the pod is secured in my Lightning. Last week I received the new triple pillar pod for my HD. I plan to do the same thing as in my Lightning but I may locate the bolt in between the top and center pods so the bolt head is somewhat concealed.

Double-sided tape will probably work well but isn't conducive to easy removal/reinstall.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the replies. So why attach it to the factory a pillar cover if your going to run a screw/bolt through the pillar into a pillar. That seems like it would hold it in place all the way.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Regardless of how you affix the pillar pod to the factory piece you will need to secure it to a-pillar by whatever method you deem satisfactory. Typically this is achieved by using one bolt/screw through the pod into the metal a-pillar. The snap fastener on the backside of the factory trim doesn't usually have enough strength to hold all of the additional weight of the gauges without the assistance of a bolt/screw.

Here's an old pic of how the pod is secured in my Lightning. Last week I received the new triple pillar pod for my HD. I plan to do the same thing as in my Lightning but I may locate the bolt in between the top and center pods so the bolt head is somewhat concealed.

Double-sided tape will probably work well but isn't conducive to easy removal/reinstall.

That's exactly how my 2 pod pillar looks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
For double sided tape works good for a column pod but A pillar yeah I sure wouldn't use it

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Ok thanks for the replies. So why attach it to the factory a pillar cover if your going to run a screw/bolt through the pillar into a pillar. That seems like it would hold it in place all the way.
Auto Meter intended the factory snap fastener on the backside of the factory trim piece to hold the pillar pod in place, unfortunately the weight of the gauges and wiring doesn't allow for that.

For double sided tape works good for a column pod but A pillar yeah I sure wouldn't use it
Yes, double-sided tape is great for a column pod, IIRC double-sided tape is provided with a column pod when purchased new. I used double-sided tape on my column pod in the Lightning years ago, when I put that same pod into the HD a few weeks ago I used hook & loop (Velcro).

·
Registered
167 Posts
For what it's worth - there is a difference in velcro. 3M industrial velcro Will. Not. Fall. Off. I can barely separate the two when I want to. Dime store velcro - meh.

Reactions: Leeproctor83

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I agree, don't like drilling holes. I roughed up my factory pillar. Roughed up the inside of the Autometer pillar. Used plastic weld made by Devcon and glued them together. Mine has been together for 13 years with no issues. I cut large access holes in the factory pillar to make it easier to run wires, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts