Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are moving to the Dallas area from California. I have a lot of mods on my truck to wear I dont pass smog here. I have a friend that helps with that. I am wounding what I have to do to pass there since I dont know anyone. Please help if you can. Thank you

·
Registered
648 Posts
Depending on what county you move to will determine if you need an emissions test. Only big urban counties have emissions test like dallas, houston, austin, and el paso as well as the surrounding counties for some. All other counties not listed just have a safety test.

Depending on the year of your truck I think you can have two fails. So if youre running evap delete, egr delete and no cats youll have trouble unless you know somebody. One time this guy at gearheads put a shit tune on my truck and I passed. I wouldnt recommend it at all but it worked

Good luck and welcome to texas

·
Registered
226 Posts
FYI they have this new one sticker policy when u do for registration they verify u have an inspection sticker, I’ve had my Jeep registered there 12 years and I’m now stationed in Louisiana, I have to write them letter every year stating I don’t live there.

·
Senior Citizen, "Olde Farte" to you
719 Posts
Trucks in Texas, especially the year range of our trucks, don't have to pass actual tailpipe emissions. They do have to pass CEL, gas cap seal, evap system, EGR, and cats inspection; but that's just visual, and as long as you've thrown no codes within the last 250 miles, you're good to go--unless you fail the lights or brake checks. Otherwise, you're fine.

·
Premium Member
5,730 Posts
Bringing this back up again since i too just moved to the Dallas area, Van Alstyne/Sherman area to be exact. I'm in Grayson county so i know there's no smog test so I'm thinking I'd like to find a shop that is friendly to modified vehicles. My truck is nowhere near stock and also has the EGR & EVAP deleted. Does anyone have any suggestions for inspections in the area?

·
11 Second Club
15,063 Posts
Bringing this back up again since i too just moved to the Dallas area, Van Alstyne/Sherman area to be exact. I'm in Grayson county so i know there's no smog test so I'm thinking I'd like to find a shop that is friendly to modified vehicles. My truck is nowhere near stock and also has the EGR & EVAP deleted. Does anyone have any suggestions for inspections in the area?
Go to any hole on the wall shop they usually don’t look at any of that as long as your monitors show N/A via your custom tune you should be ok. I live in Houston and I’ve never had a single problem.

·
Premium Member
5,730 Posts
Got mine inspected no problem. Luckily we've got a Kwik Lube just down the road and all the guys there are actually car enthusiasts. They loved the truck and my ST and pointed me to some good local shops! Fears were abated!

·
Professional Lackey
392 Posts
Go to any hole on the wall shop they usually don’t look at any of that as long as your monitors show N/A via your custom tune you should be ok. I live in Houston and I’ve never had a single problem.
This right here. I know it's been months since this was posted but this is exactly what you need to do. Make sure your monitors are turned off and set to N/A, if you do the State inspection computer will completely ignore the monitors. In Tarrant county i've passed my last two inspections with my EGR, downstream O2s, and my EVAP all three disabled. I've also found it's better to get your inspection done when the shop is fairly busy, in that situation they want to get you in and out as quickly as possible and it's more likely they'll overlook something.

BTW, whatever you do don't ask for a readiness test. After a retune earlier this year going from an Xcal 2 to an X4 tuner I got curious, I went and I asked the shop usually go to for my inspection for a readiness test. The shop managet said the computer would pass my truck but after seeing the printout of the test he said he wouldn't pass it because I had too many monitors disabled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts