Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,977 Posts
The clutch safety switch in a certain "position" wont even allow it to crank. You can get the 6 wire plug and hook up a toggle switch so you dont have to permanently alter the truck side of the harness.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,485 Posts
The clutch safety switch in a certain "position" wont even allow it to crank. You can get the 6 wire plug and hook up a toggle switch so you dont have to permanently alter the truck side of the harness.
Clutch safety switch? On a vehicle with an automatic transmission? Is it there anyway? Because some models had sticks?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the 4R100 automatic trans -I think it is done using a spst switch on the fuel pump relay trigger wire from the pcm but not sure-would like to find someone that has done it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well your truck has a built in anti-theft that requires the key.

But if you're so inclined a switch to kill the fuel pump relay is very simple.
Even with the pats, our vehicles can be stolen by a thief that knows what they are doing and with all the required tools.

OP, I have been thinking about this myself, don't have a clue though where you would put a switch that wont easily be seen. A fuel pump kill switch would allow them to start the vehicle and maybe move it a very short distance, which could allow them to drive it onto a trailer. Maybe a starter kill switch would be best?

Either way, if someone wants something bad enough, nothing will stop them.

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
Even with the pats, our vehicles can be stolen by a thief that knows what they are doing and with all the required tools.

OP, I have been thinking about this myself, don't have a clue though where you would put a switch that wont easily be seen. A fuel pump kill switch would allow them to start the vehicle and maybe move it a very short distance, which could allow them to drive it onto a trailer. Maybe a starter kill switch would be best?

1) if they have those tools a fuel pump kill switch isn't going to stop them.

2) park your truck at night, let it sit a few hours. Pull the fuel pump relay and start it. Without fuel pressure you'll be lucky if it starts. The fuel that stays in the rails still needs pressure to be atomized.

·
Registered
420 Posts
years ago I did this in a buddy's car
we added a keyed electrical switch and we hid in in a little air freshener "tub"
it looked like a small Tupperware container with a strap connecting the lid to the body
maybe 1 1/4 inch in diameter
mounted the switch in the little tub on the side of the console.. with the lid /strap turned towards the top to block the view of the inside of the "air freshener"

key switch killed fuel pump power

a little residual pressure in the lines won't get them far .. maybe pulled out of the parking spot but not much further

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doing everything I can-Viper DS4+ system/GPS tracking and this beast
-they can't just cut the steering wheel and throw it out the window-it's heavy and big though

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Best idea for where to put it I can come up with is under the seat-or another idea might be under the truck drivers side outboard on the frame somewhere(?)-.If it's easy for you to reach it's ez for thief to reach-worst place is down by hood latch cable handle/E Brake- I found out the hard way on my pre-SVT nissan-they flipped kill switch and got it started-

·
10 second street truck
12,553 Posts
Your best defense is good insurance. If a theif wants it, they'll take it. You're just going to deter the low level ones. I've seen rigs loaded on a trailer in under a minute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Years ago a friend living in a high crime area, used the cigarette lighter as a kill switch. Push it in makes contact and runs. Pull it out a bit and no connection. Car never got stolen. They did try, but never got it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts