1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,167 Posts
Actually, when you remove the fluid, it looks more green than black. At least all four of my Fords did. It just looks black through the plastic. I've never seen black brake fluid myself. But I would never let it get to the point it's black. Maybe it does ,if left to it's own devices.

Having changed mine at least once in the past, it doesn't take long for the green to return. Not even a year. I've kind of given up on it. Yes, I used a vacuum brake bleeder to remove the fluid from all four calipers and the hoses. Green came back in less than a year. Why bother?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Love the Motive bleeder.
Same here! Great investment and has paid for itself already 10x over!
the only vehicle it doesn’t work on for me is my 86’ Turbo coupe as the “lid” is too big to fit on my master cylinder.
Still a highly recommended tool!

Reactions: J.Rovirosa

·
Registered
298 Posts
looking at pics I was recently thinking the same .. fluid looks nasty

when my motor is back together and my rear springs are done my truck's getting all new lines hoses and calipers

I hope my spendy new dot 5.1 fluid doesn't turn fuggly soon..I have a large bottle of new dot 4 fluid to try bleeding it back to clean before I start but Idono what's gonna want to hang around in the ABS pump ..(??)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Most people don't know, you are supposed to flush the brake fluid every 2-3 years. Will it still work if its 5 years old? Sure, not as well and is contaminated with a bunch of water. Which will cause rusting in the brake caliper bores and the pistons will be more prone to sticking. I have been using the motive brake bleeder for probably 8 years, its been great, makes life easy. Ended up having to buy a new one since my original has a leak somewhere that I cant find. (doesn't leak brake fluid, just doesn't hold pressure so I think the pump went out)

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,664 Posts
Gone are the days of a buddy pumping the brakes while you open and close the bleeder valve??

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tip...
Use a large syringe to suck out the old fluid.
Don't fill the power bleeder with fluid, just use it for pressure.
If you use it this way, you will need to keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder.
If it runs dry, you will need to start over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vacuum bleeder works better for me than the pressure ones ever did, just suck all of the fluid out from the wheels til the reservoir is empty, then fill it back up and rebleed the system. Smack the brake pedal a few times while bleeding with a plastic mallet to jar loose any stubborn bubbles.

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
The major reason why you want to flush your brake system, not just drain and refill the master cylinder is because brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. If you put a cup of brake fluid next to a cup of water, overnight the brake fluid will absorb quite a bit of the water and it does so without ever touching the water.

Water in a brake system lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid by alot so braking performance goes way down. Imagine your brake fluid getting hot when you brake because the calipers are tranferring that heat thru to the fluid, well if you have water molecules mixed in with the brake fluid those water molecules will boil off, turn into vapor and create space that will cause the pedal to sink and pressure loss to the caliper.

You can get little test strips that will test the brake fluid but the best bet is to flush the entire system once every two years or more often if you drive the truck alot and are hard on it.

[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts