Lightning Rodder banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Didn't people used to use washers or dimes with drilled holes to partially block the IAC to make the engines rev faster? Maybe the previous owner did that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
oh ok. yea idk i looked inside i looked inside n couldnt see where it could of gone. good thing i got another 1 there at work. ill grab it and throw it on. hope it is that. thanks for the help guys. and you crazywhitey lol
No problem, I hope all works out with the other one. Just remember once you install it to set the base idle of the truck so the IAC works properly. My screen name came from where I went to highschool, my dad was prior service and we were stationed in Panama (the country). I followed in his footsteps and joined the AF as well but the nickname stuck with me, lol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Didn't people used to use washers or dimes with drilled holes to partially block the IAC to make the engines rev faster? Maybe the previous owner did that.
That I have never heard of and don't see how it would cause the truck to rev faster by causing an obstruction. I would think it would have more of a chance to get sucked into something and cause further damage as well as causing the IAC to work harder and cause it to malfunction or break. To each their own though, I am glad my old IAC just went out and I didn't find anything like that in mine when I replaced it! If that was the case with possibly a previous owner doing that to the IAC, it would make me question what else they might have done :smt021

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i installed a new 1 still idlign high, how do i set the base line? also i unplug this 1 and the idle doesnt drop, any thought?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i installed a new 1 still idlign high, how do i set the base line? also i unplug this 1 and the idle doesnt drop, any thought?
To set the base idle:

1. With the truck running unplug the IAC connector

2. Adjust the throttle set screw to make the truck idle at 800 rpm (if you are looking right at the TB it is on your right side in the back. You will adjust the throttle set screw with an allen key, clock wise to raise the throttle, counter to decrease.)

3. Plug the IAC connector back up and the idle should stay around 800 rpm or slightly higher

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That I have never heard of and don't see how it would cause the truck to rev faster by causing an obstruction. I would think it would have more of a chance to get sucked into something and cause further damage as well as causing the IAC to work harder and cause it to malfunction or break. To each their own though, I am glad my old IAC just went out and I didn't find anything like that in mine when I replaced it! If that was the case with possibly a previous owner doing that to the IAC, it would make me question what else they might have done :smt021
Ive heard of that, one write up I read used gasket material with smaller holes in it to change the way the engine reved. I dont think I would be comfortable with a washer just sitting there in the intake.

·
Registered
108 Posts
my high idle was cured by a good cleaning of the TB. see if you can close the TB manually where the throttle cable connects, if it lowers the idle that might be your problem.

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
^^^yes i did... the tb blade was not in the right position.. it was to open

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am having the exact same symptoms after changing the plugs & cleaning the Stock TB, well spraying it down with cleaner but no scrub. I cleaned the IAC again but should have tested it prior to putting it back on.

High idle, will eventually pull down in drive but not in park or neutral. Oh, strange thing is the PCV line is almost sucked shut. I used a new 3/8 hose & it sucks it shut eventually also...Guess I could apply 12V to the IAC & see if it has an affect on the idle and the pcv line. Does anyone know if reversing the polarity opens and closes or is it normally open?

I may need to clean the TB or IAC better, scrub it to make sure there is noting I missed on top. If that does not work I guess I will be replacing the IAC.

·
Indecisive Broke Mofo
2,812 Posts
Since I installed my efan n cai n did the port n polish my idle kicked up to about 900 almost 1k, figured it was the reduced weight of fan clutch being removed. I just left it lol

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.