Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished up a head job and replaced my timing cover. As I'm going to put the idler pullies on the cover I notice that whenever Tasca Ford or wherever made the cover didn't fully clean off all burrs and defects for the smooth rounded parts for the idler to rotate on. Now my idlers are held up. Whats the best way to smoothen the spots out? They can't even be rotated by hand, at most quarter inch rotations at a time. Tried to post video but video doesn't have correct extension..
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Tire Vehicle

·
10 second street truck
12,840 Posts
The timing cover is cast. I doubt there is any human interaction. QA will inspect a set number per batch but not all.

A 3m scuff pad on a die grinder will smooth it out. Or some 800+ grit sand paper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp.. 🤣
I figured it out. I even had a much more elaborate explanation, but it took so long to type out I had accidentally refreshed my phone screen only to find my "book" was gone. Maybe this explains why there's so many car forums out there with no follow up 😅 they must've refreshed on their closing post to the thread 🤭
Jokes aside, I found that Getoemparts.com's computer to match part numbers to Vin isn't exactly accurate. Thanks to the beautiful library of knowledge here on the forums I found that our trucks 5.4 is from the Econoline of engines so small things like that are changed to fit multiple trim designs. The N/A F series part number is 2L3Z-6019-BA
While Our E series Lightning is F75Z-6019-BA
They look literally exact EXCEPT the fact that the Idler pulley boss on each bank is about an ⅛ shorter than our E Series Timing Cover. So whenever one of us mistakenly buys a very sexy priced 70$ timing cover we end having to use washers/shims to push out our pullies from creating their own tolerances 🤣 I myself prefer to not be a hack so I will be returning this cover, and have already purchased the correct one. Yay to me for having to continue working on this project truck 🤙 hopefully this helps someone out in the future looking for a replacement Timing Cover!! Below are the differences in image of the new N/A vs our cover
Wheel Automotive tire Rim Gas Circle
Photograph White Motor vehicle Font Gas

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
165 Posts
No the NA cover I got is an ⅛ inch too short making the pulley bolt too close to the cover.
This is my neighbor's HD he bought last year and he asked what should be done to the truck since he was having misfires I said its probably a vacuum leak since he bought new coils and plugs and told him him to plug the turkey pan and clean the intercooler so he asked me to take a look.... His engine was caked in oil. His alternator got the worst of it. When I started digging thru it I found out where his leak was...

I guess the previous owner used the wrong timing cover as well. This trucks fubard there's so many other things wrong with it as well..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Black Flash photography Font Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Holy crap! How much oil was he noticing being lost? Is it leaking because of the tensioner self clearancing the timing cover? Also pop off both of the idler pulleys and post a picture of what they look like under. Its either that or a combo between the crank keyway not getting rtv where it keys into the Harmonic balancer. I've seen legit engine builders (unfamiliar with ford obv) not know that it'll slightly leak if you don't rtv in certain spots. Or it could be that they didn't rtv the corners if the cover and block/heads/valve covers. Definitely keep us posted! I wonder if its the cover or the tensioner.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
165 Posts
Don't think thats the OEM tensioner..
Probably a 6 rib tensioner and someone put an 8 rib pulley on it.
I got the cover off and it was a regular f150 cover. But I think your right too, especially since their truck turned out to be a hodge podge of wrong parts. The part where the pulley mounts is a lot shorter than my trucks cover was. He got ripped off bigtime.

·
Registered
02 lightning/03 cobruh
165 Posts
Holy crap! How much oil was he noticing being lost? Is it leaking because of the tensioner self clearancing the timing cover? Also pop off both of the idler pulleys and post a picture of what they look like under. Its either that or a combo between the crank keyway not getting rtv where it keys into the Harmonic balancer. I've seen legit engine builders (unfamiliar with ford obv) not know that it'll slightly leak if you don't rtv in certain spots. Or it could be that they didn't rtv the corners if the cover and block/heads/valve covers. Definitely keep us posted! I wonder if its the cover or the tensioner.
Yea i thought it just had a bad valve cover leak when I looked at it initially, but when I actually started removing stuff, I quickly saw what really was the problem..The idler pulley was machining a vent hole in the cover, cause it's the wrong cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy hell that tensioner is bad. The pulley even looks crooked.
I got the cover off and it was a regular f150 cover. But I think your right too, especially since their truck turned out to be a hodge podge of wrong parts. The part where the pulley mounts is a lot shorter than my trucks cover was. He got ripped off bigtime.
Ouch. Welp, nothing that can't be fixed 😅

1 - 15 of 15 Posts