Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Johnny Law
17,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know that when you go to the track everyone fills their icey res with straight ice but what do you do when you are driving home? Do you leave the straight water in the motor and then drain/refill with 50/50 when you get home? Would running straight water for a period of 6 months while racing season is over corrode stuff or does it take much much longer to do any damage?

P.S I used the search feature but it doesn't understand ebonics............ Also here's a picture so Stoffer doesn't post up his usual response

:scared003

·
Johnny Law
17,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to be a male naughty bit, but Enemy, had you used the search function first, you would have found this fine thread................

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51247 :shitstormretarded

Hope this helps...............

JT

maybe you should learn to use the search button because the only thing that has to do with water is this

"Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and
throw them fish."

:laughing25:laughing25:laughing25

·
Just a Body Kit!!!
273 Posts
Here is your answer, run all the ice you want at the track but when you get home change it out, i wouldn't run tap water for more then a day or two at most.

·
Administrator
18,342 Posts
I run straight water in the IC system Spring thru Fall. I use Ice often. No way to realistically use distilled water with the amount of ice I go thru. I flush the system at the end of race season and fill with 50/50 for Winter. I really don't see that big a deal doing it this way.

Jim

·
Registered
293 Posts
i started using just water late this summer as i put in a jlp i/c reservoir and wanted to use ice at the track.
I still have the water in the truck right now.

What harm is it really going to do? Should i change it back to coolant/distilled water after every race? That seems like a lot of $$ and time if there are no issues with running just water.
I was planning on draining all of the water i can before i put the truck away for the winter and maybe putting back in a bit of anti-freeze.

Sean

·
Registered
350 Posts
I run straight water in the IC system Spring thru Fall. I use Ice often. No way to realistically use distilled water with the amount of ice I go thru. I flush the system at the end of race season and fill with 50/50 for Winter. I really don't see that big a deal doing it this way.

Jim
+1.......

·
Just a Body Kit!!!
273 Posts
Tap water in the system acts like a sand paper on the aluminum because of the minerals in it that will cause leaks AT SOME POINT & the minerals will also build up making a bad flow,and this will all cause extreme
aluminum corrosion which can lead to Electrolysis of the system which is awsome :bigtu

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I would drain and refill with distilled water asap.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Just ice and tap water. To pricey to run anything else

·
Administrator
18,342 Posts
Tap water in the system acts like a sand paper on the aluminum because of the minerals in it that will cause leaks AT SOME POINT & the minerals will also build up making a bad flow,and this will all cause extreme
aluminum corrosion which can lead to Electrolysis of the system which is awsome :bigtu
This is the by the book answer. In practice I have never seen a problem using city water. Maybe in some well supplies there are enough hard metals to actually matter. A seasonal flush should keep any buildup at bay.

I have run aluminum heads on numerous vehicles. Aluminum blocks on two. Never saw any evidence of extra wear and no electrolysis. For those that race and use ice it is almost impossible to keep the system pure. Definately do not want antifreeze getting all over at the racetrack. That is just being courteous to others.

Jim

·
Just a Body Kit!!!
273 Posts
This is the by the book answer. In practice I have never seen a problem using city water. Maybe in some well supplies there are enough hard metals to actually matter. A seasonal flush should keep any buildup at bay.

I have run aluminum heads on numerous vehicles. Aluminum blocks on two. Never saw any evidence of extra wear and no electrolysis. For those that race and use ice it is almost impossible to keep the system pure. Definately do not want antifreeze getting all over at the racetrack. That is just being courteous to others.

Jim

Lol this is a by the book kind of answer ( i happen to work at a radiator shop), but also true i have seen a ton of radiators/ intercooler systems trashed because of tap water, but on the other hand i have seen people that have had no problem with tap water due to flushing the sysyem a few times a year.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
I plan on running distilled water & water wetter on the street. When I go to the track I'll add ice & drain it when I get home. I wouldn't want to run just regular water even for 6 mos.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts