Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's a little background on how I got this issue. Sorry it's a little long

I replaced my Bosch pump with the CX racing pump 2 weeks ago because the stock one went bad

I just had my alternator go yesterday so I removed the IC reservoir to get the alternator out. I had to drain the HE to empty out the reservoir and remove it. I put the alternator back in and the IC reservoir and I filled it back up.

I have a toggle switch mounted in the engine to run the IC pump so I flipped it on and the IC pump turned on but did not create the bubbling effect it usually does. I could hear the IC pump running but it wasn't pushing any water. So I reached under the truck and opened the drain the Afco HE while the pump was running and drained a little bit of water and it started pushing water / bubbling like normal. It pushed water and had the bubbles thing going on for about 10 seconds and then it stopped again, but the pump stayed running. It looks like the pump is having a hard time pushing water. I removed the pump and checked to make sure it wasn't clogged and it was fine. I mounted it back up and the same thing again. Turn on the pump, makes noise but no bubbles, and then drain the HE for a few seconds while leaving the pump on and it starts to bubble. 10 seconds later the bubble stops and the motor stays running. It does the same thing when the truck is running. I reached under the truck while the engine was on and I could feel that the pump was on but there were no bubbles in the reservoir tank.

I've filled and drained the IC tank like 4-5 times and the same thing happens everytime. I can't get the pump to continuously create bubbles even though it's on.

I also plugged the OEM bosch pump back in (it wasn't completely broken, just had to smack it from time to time to get it to turn on) and it produced the same thing. NO BUBBLES but it was on.

I did a bunch of searching and I've seen people complain about their tank not bubbling but that's usually because their pump is not on / not working. My pump is definately on and it's new

There are no kinks in the line.
Yes the pump is on

Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing?

Could there be air in the lines?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wiring Is good and the lines are correct. It's so weird. It starts bubbling like normal for a about 10 seconds and then stops, but the pump stays on. I'm 100% sure the pump Is on because I can hear it kick on when I flip the toggle switch in the engine.

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
Just because you hear them doesn't mean they are running. Also the Bosch pump is a magnet cup on the outside of the pump that spins and in turn spins the pump inside. if the impeller inside is caught or dragging on something the motor will still spin, but the impellers inside may stop. what did your old fluid look like?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The IC pump should do more than "bubble" a little bit. It should circulate lots of water.
Sorry, "bubble" might not be the right term. I would say on a normal day it looks like a jacuzzi in the IC tank. It normally churns a lot of water and the pump is definately not acting normal

Im thinking there might be air In the lines because If I turn the pump on using the toggle, and then drain the HE (while running the pump) until the IC tank is about half full, the pump suddenly makes a choking noise and it starts churning lots of water in the IC tank like normal. But when I turn the switch off and then back on again the pump doesn't churn any water. I'm going to do this a few more times tomorrow and see if that pushes the air out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.