Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a turbo truck and wondered if there is any way to pass GA clean air emission inspection in the metro Atlanta area. I know I would need to add EGR and a cat, then struggle to get through a drive cycle again. Do they even make a 4" high flow catalytic converter for a gasoline application? Or maybe there is tuning software to report cat sensor readiness even without a cat in place?

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
If there is no sniffer test just get a set of mil eliminators

EGR is a whole different animal.

Grease a palm and get a hot sticker.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
You can have all the emissions stuff turned off in the tune, only have to pass the visual inspection. My 3" midpipes taper to a 2.5" pipe and looks like a cat, so I pass the visual inspection.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can have all the emissions stuff turned off in the tune, only have to pass the visual inspection. My 3" midpipes taper to a 2.5" pipe and looks like a cat, so I pass the visual inspection.
My built silver L failed inspection due to the deleted EGR being turned off in the tune. They never even opened the hood or charged me. He heard it running and plugged in the OBD connector and instantly told me it would fail. I had to put an EGR on it, turn the EGR back on in the tune, then take about three weeks to complete a drive cycle. I think they put a sniffer in it too, but it does have cats so it passed.

I should just buy a house in the country to register it at...

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Depends on who you go see. My truck has not one emission component and passed for everything but the check engine light wouldn't come on when the key is in run position.

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
depending on that state and year of truck...15 yrs is classic plates and requires no emission testing

least in pa

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
So glad I've been emissions except for like 6yrs now. Lol It's so nice to take my tag renewal in and get my plates with no worry of an e-test.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Just go turbo and never look back

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It is a bitch in So Cal, how do I become exempt?
Well a few yrs back I found out that if you prove that your vehicle runs only on E85 and not Flex Fuel you became emissions exempt. So I did all the necessary paperwork went to the DMV and changed my Fuel type on my title from G to T and haven't been bothered since. Its been so nice! Lol We were gonna do my buddies turbo'd fox, but have heard they aren't doing it anymore.

·
Head of R&D at A1 Transmission
5,624 Posts
First read the testing rules as they change year to year. Last time I looked you only have to pass visual inspection for catalytic converters, the other stuff doesn't matter since that's what the OBDII test is for.

Any place can fail you if the choose and know what they're looking at though. Mine passed for many years having zero emissions equipment, just have to find a friendly place to get it done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts