Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
Im fairly certain that red wire you have hooked to the top post goes on the bottom

·
Silver is the fastest color
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Im fairly certain that red wire you have hooked to the top post goes on the bottom

yea thats the problem I GOT THE POWER back on but still the truck started and the starter sounded weird and now the truck wont crank any more u guys think i blew the selinoid

·
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just a thought but if you don't know what your doing why play with the electrics on your truck IMO

i kno alot about the electrics but i droped the wire and blew the fuse i wasnt even trying to take it off i was just moving it and i will never touch this shyt again ill tell u that!!

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
yea thats the problem I GOT THE POWER back on but still the truck started and the starter sounded weird and now the truck wont crank any more u guys think i blew the selinoid
Possibly..I just went through the same thing when I hooked that crap back up wrong, so dont feel too bad.

First, check fuse #21 I think it is, its a 15amp fuse. With a second person and a volt meter you can check to see if power is going to the solenoid on the starter and then from the solenoid on the starter to the starter itself (having them turn the key). Maybe youll be lucky and its just the piece on the firewall that you can replace for ~$15

do NOT buy a starter from autozone! OEM, Napa or central auto parts (if you have those).

I put a How-To thread up on the whole starter swapout when I messed it up

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
^^^^^

DING DING DING!!!!!!

That is your issue right there. You need to move the red wire that goes to the firewall down to the bottom terminal on the stater relay.

Only one way to test the relay. Jump it and see what happens.

·
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
^^^^^

DING DING DING!!!!!!

That is your issue right there. You need to move the red wire that goes to the firewall down to the bottom terminal on the stater relay.

Only one way to test the relay. Jump it and see what happens.

yea doin them back wards i think i fried my starter so i jsut pulled it out the truck tommrow its goin for a rebuild which couldnt hurt any way with 70 k miles on the truck and oe starter

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
while the starter is out might want to test that solenoid on the firewall, or just replace it since its $15. If nothing else check the small wire that goes to the starter solenoid with a volt meter, make sure that when you turn the key that the voltage signal kicks in and out (meaning that the solenoid on the firewall isnt hanging up).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a thought but if you don't know what your doing why play with the electrics on your truck IMO
OMG all of the yes on this. Mechanics think that since im a petite white chick with a lightning I can't know how electricity works. Currently beyond pissed at paying mechamic 2k to redo suspension, supercharger stuff never touched. It always immediately hit way over 10 psi.
Wrong. Dont touch it. Besides all the electronic things completely roasted. Ahh I'm in total Hell. The mechanic in Milwaukee (Mike at Tess Corners) I am putting you on official blast. You had 6 weeks to work on it. Took 10 days after that they im at home you better tell my Dad what electronic crap you moved. I asked to tall to the electronics guy. Nope. Million tries we will call you back. F off. Mike, if you are you are reading this you need to understand how badly you burned up a classic machine.

·
BagsR4groceries eBay built
9,623 Posts
OMG all of the yes on this. Mechanics think that since im a petite white chick with a lightning I can't know how electricity works. Currently beyond pissed at paying mechamic 2k to redo suspension, supercharger stuff never touched. It always immediately hit way over 10 psi.
Wrong. Dont touch it. Besides all the electronic things completely roasted. Ahh I'm in total Hell. The mechanic in Milwaukee (Mike at Tess Corners) I am putting you on official blast. You had 6 weeks to work on it. Took 10 days after that they im at home you better tell my Dad what electronic crap you moved. I asked to tall to the electronics guy. Nope. Million tries we will call you back. F off. Mike, if you are you are reading this you need to understand how badly you burned up a classic machine.
What was the point of bringing back an old thread ?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts