Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site, but my interest in L's is nothing new. I live in chicago and I am thinking about getting one finally. The only thing I'm concerned about is reliability. This would be my daily driver for at least 9 months out of the year. I will not drive it when it is snowing but all spring summer and fall this will be it. I won't be beating on it or racing it, but sometimes you have to open it up. Am i going to be fixing this car often? and if i do will it be expensive and time consuming? My job doesnt pay enough for me to be doing expensive repairs often and like i said it will be my daily driver, so if its broke then im gunna have a pain getting to work. Are there ebtter years? Keep it stock or do certain mods to make it more reliable? Any an all input would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
All depends on what you buy: a highly modded truck is going to be more risky to drive and/or repair. A more stock truck will be less of a risk. Of course, plugs fly even on stock trucks sometimes.

My truck is lightly modded (2lb pulley; Diablosport tune; CAI; valve body; Magnaflow exhaust) and after 34,000 miles, it is dead-on reliable (knock on wood).

Jim

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
03-04 is the better years due to the heads, they have 8 instead of the older models with 4 threads. So there less likely to shoot plugs out.

As long as you keep up with preventive maint. the truck will give you years n years of enjoyment.

I DD mine everyday to and from work, drive all over the state. 81,000 miles on her so far.(But I am built now).

Rods are the weakest link in the motors. They seem to fail when your doing a high speed run in cool weather and your truck drops down from OverDrive. So everyone just clicks off there OD Button, and then floors it.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,603 Posts
I don't know what your budget is, but if you have the money I would opt for a 2004.

Why? By getting a 2004 you will be getting one with 8-thread heads. (Some 2003 trucks still have 4-thread heads.) Reliability should not be an issue with proper maintenance. As far as mods, depends on what you want to do. Do you want to make it faster? Do you want to give it your own look by lowering it or changing wheels? What I have found out is that if you start down the path of modding it, you just can't stop...lol.

Also, what octane gas do you guys have up in Chicago? You really want to run 93 octane. Do you have a garage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only some 03's hav 8 threads the rest only have 4? my friend had an 02 and he blew a plug out and that is why im asking questions, and i will say im impressed at how fast you guys answer questions. Im gunna keep checkin in on here and keep checkin in on the classifieds for now

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
Nice for around $15k you should be able to find a bad ass truck. Deals pop up all the time, especially lately.

Yup theres a few on here running E85.
They love it, it's like running around on your race tune all the time.
Same power if not more as C16.
you just get 2-3mpg less using the E85. But then again were all concerned with smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Welcome! You can get either a stock or lightly modded L & it will be plenty reliable & fun at the same time. Like Shaggy has said, do regular maintenance & be smart w/ the truck & it'll last forever! If your looking for one up your way I would be extra vigilant in checking the underside since you guys probably see a lot of road salt during the winters.

·
7th Fetzer valve, yeah...
2,143 Posts
There was a high-milage thread recently. A couple guys are close to 200K!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts