Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not the end of the Mag, and this WILL NOT become a Mag Bashing Thread.
Charles and Magnum have been great, I love the Screaming Boost, I love everything about it,
and Charles is a good friend. It's no secrete I am however very unhappy with the power level,
and lack of tuning capibility we have. 26 Dyno tuning pulls and all we can muster is 444 HP,
it just isn't exceptable, and I must know if the lack of tuning capibility is S/C related.
I know my springs play a part, but Sal really doesnt want to install new ones,
(PITA JOB) so I'm out of choices other than a KB
(that I dont have money for, nor trust for reliability)

So here it is

I hope to Dyno it later this week, and see what we can come up with ???

Took it for a nice long ride yesterday, I did lose A LOT of boost
down from 22lbs to 17, but it was 77 degrees and sunny.
Feels dam good, and actually quite responsive,
I did a 0-80 mph burnout from 1st through 2nd and third, and it was pulling like a mo fo the whole way.

Only time will tell ???

THANKS WES, A TRUE WORK OF ART  :thumbsup:
Awesome Port Bro, (HUGE THUMBS UP)
The Generation 2 WASP lives, WOO HOO............

·
Registered
426 Posts
Rob, give some thought to an engine being an air pump. More airflow = more power. Also, keep in mind that "delta P" (change in pressure) accross something greatly effects flow. Trottle body, blower, intercooler, intake valve, cylinder fill, exhaust valve, manifold, cats, mufflers, tail pipes. Just some things to remember...

If the power is still down with the eaton? I'd want to know what your exhaust backpressure numbers are.

Rich

·
Administrator
18,552 Posts
Responded on 150 in greater detail, but I hope you sort it out soon.
Hey, if it helps I can lend you an Eaton snout with a Billetflow interchangeable hub and 3.1,2.92 and 2.76 pullies. I also am interested in selling this setup.
Jim

·
Registered
454 Posts
Very interesting to see if your hp/tq numbers are going to improve with the Wasp.
Good luck!
- phil

·
Registered
186 Posts
good luck rob. sorry it didn't work out with the magnum s/c. if all else fells, you could rob a small bank and stand in line for a kb.
-chiz

·
Registered
261 Posts
I really like the black blower and WASP port. Looking forward to doing both on my little M62 blower. If you really wanted a budget build Rob you should have just sprayed more for the power you want like I do. You have like 200+hp available with your current set-up. :LOL

·
Frauderator
5,862 Posts
rob i feel for you completely

i have a similar problem with my magnum

i have ported heads and stage 2 cams

the blower can not make enough boost

i can only see 16lbs at 2000' da (10" lower and 2.7 upper)

i know other guys who are making 24lbs at the same track using the kb
with the same mods

the way i see it is the magnum is a perfect blower for the stock block and heads.

(the only reason i say that is because i have beaten many of kb stockers :D)

but it just doesnt have the displacement for ported heads and cams.

our only other option is that big pile of chit called a kb

i have seen and heard alot of problems with them at the track.

dont get me wrong about my feelings on the mag.  it has more then paid for it self in my mind.  but when it comes to pumping air bigger is better for sure.

i just might go against charles opinion and port my mag

rick

·
Registered
228 Posts
Man Rob I feel like a piece of crap now after buying your old wasp port.... Sorry bud you probably should have kept it and saved some money. Mines in the shop, blew a front seal on the tranny, I believe that's all, I had them put the FTVB I got from JJ in it since they had it apart, Yes I can do this myself but why pull the pan twice. I still have to get to a dyno and have a new chip burned. Oh well at least your old ported blower will be where it's loved....... By the way ditch the wedding and come to Norwalk for FFW I'm still buying the beer.

OH NO MR BILL

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
I hope you see the numbers your looking for.

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
That sucks Rob, hope you get it all figured out brother

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rob,

If you had paid $1600+ like the rest of us, I doubt you would be so kind about your MP. If you added up all the wasted dyno time, travel time, and lost fun at the truck - you'll see just what the MP has "cost" you.

People say to me "well, you got your money back".. Yep, and wasted a lot of money getting dyno tuned. Lost a month of the best weather in the midwest to race in this spring. Lost the opportunity of having Sal in the area to tune the vehicle.

For someone building an engine like you, heads and cam while keeping a ported eaton would be a better choice for about the same money. Well, that's the theory I'm testing in my build up.

·
Administrator
18,552 Posts
Money aside, I am happy to have gone to a MP. At the mid 500hp range we are at a point of deminishing returns in our quest for additional performance. I only have 15 extra hp vs the ported Eaton, but lower aircharge temps and the ability to turn it harder if desired.
Is it worth the $ 1600? If funds are tight it may not be worth it, but for my goals I am happy with my choice.
I want to run Fridge type numbers before toasting my bottom end.
Jim

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks All :smt023

Agreed St Louis, looking back it would have been cheaper to do heads and cams from the get go @)#$%(#@$%#(@$%#($&%#($
My goals off Spray were very acheivable though, 480-500, (remember juice is my race tune). I truly didn't think I'd need them, but sure wish I did them now, or at least cams + springs.
Live and learn (&@#$%(@&$%(@&$^%@(&$%(^@$

I HAVE NOT giving up on the Mag, it's clearly better than a stock Eaton, seems to out perform Ported Eatons, and no doubt delivers much cooler inlet temps, and who could deny that oh so awesome SCREAM :D

THIS IS A TEST, I just cant understand the lack of tunning, and I must know what happens with an Eaton.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
I HAVE NOT giving up on the Mag, it's clearly better than a stock Eaton, seems to out perform Ported Eatons, and no doubt delivers much cooler inlet temps, and who could deny that oh so awesome SCREAM :D   

THIS IS A TEST, I just cant understand the lack of tunning, and I must know what happens with an Eaton.
If you spray when racing though, the lower intake temp potential is probably somewhat negated over a ported eaton. My truck should be at Sal's shop right now after its long trip from Kansas City. He is going to do a new block with Patriot heads and cams. Going to stick with the ported eaton for now along with some help from Denny's kit which I just installed before it left. If Sal has some spare time (not likely) and wants to do a MP vs Ported Eaton test on my truck, I'd be cool with that.

-Mark

·
Administrator
18,552 Posts
I am staying tuned to see what you get with the Ported Eaton. Some are happy with the MP and others are dissapointed. We need info to see if any mistakes can be corrected.
It is too bad the racetrack is so far away as it is the best place to eliminate BS. The but dyno is very misleading, and even dyno #s are questionable.
Does Charles have any ideas as to why timing has a negative effect? What are Sal`s thoughts?
Jim

·
Registered
218 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
Prob hiding in a drunken stupper. He is now FINALLY faster,
but until "HE" runs a better et, you know the routine......

QUOTE]

With a statement like that, it seems like your sucking on more than a joint, unless you call them both a joint. :-O
Don't know what you mean by finally faster, since I beat your ass everytime we raced. If your talking about the 11.8 slip you like to hang your hat on, you know, the one you have NEVER come close to again. Well my friend, I've run below that many times on my cold weather street tune. And my race tune? It will make you a LOONY bastard :)
It seems like my truck is getting faster and yours is well, staying the same!!!!! Slower than mine :)))))

And your saying on that "other board" that I called to say how sorry I was that your blew your motor. Wrong again, bald boy!
I called to say I was sorry to hear your motor was apart, which I now know was wrong. But it does appear that maybe it should be apart. Another thing I told you, if you weren't stoned and can't remember, is that you where a fool to put the stock valves back in your motor. And if you would have done that, then Iam sure new springs would have gone in.
And I would bet this problem would not even be an issue.......

You do have to admit though, its funny as hell, that a certain someone would offer to do the cam install for you.......I'd call Mat for a recommendation firstLOL
Since your so good at yapping your jaw, why not run your truck against my Explorer, on street tires ofcourse . I should be good for a 2 sec head start, on the tree. And with your reaction times, it's as good as a 4 sec head start

1 more thing.......I got an upper pulley tool, for you to use.

Just call Biatch

1 - 20 of 26 Posts