Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this cracks in my black truck they look like spider cracks like when mud dries up is there any kind of wax that will help with this.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
No.
You could try to clay bar it, I like Mcguires kit. Clay must stay contaminant free (from grit). It sounds like you may need something a bit more aggressive but that takes a professional with a circular buffer. An amature will burn his paint with a circular. GL!

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
sounds like he might have clear coat issues?

Can you post some pics?

·
Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
1,418 Posts
What year is the truck?
What color is the paint?

I have seen a few of our trucks where there is some form of primer contamination from the factory.
These "fingers" continue to grow from under the paint and eventually destroy the entire paint job!

Sure there are fine scratches and swirl marks on the top of the clear coat on all paint finishes.
This can be corrected with a buffing/polishing "paint correction" detailing process.
This will NOT help if it's contamination growing UNDER the paint. GET IT CHECKED!

Some good pics might help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 2002 and its black i will take pictures today and post them up i just want to know if i have to paint my truck if so .I can start looking at paint colors. But i think i might try the black box by turtle wax.

What year is the truck?
What color is the paint?

I have seen a few of our trucks where there is some form of primer contamination from the factory.
These "fingers" continue to grow from under the paint and eventually destroy the entire paint job!

Sure there are fine scratches and swirl marks on the top of the clear coat on all paint finishes.
This can be corrected with a buffing/polishing "paint correction" detailing process.
This will NOT help if it's contamination growing UNDER the paint. GET IT CHECKED!

Some good pics might help.

·
The gloss boss
341 Posts
This really sounds like Crows Feet or paint checking.. I really hope it is not because both of them are visual symptoms of paint failure. This is more common on reds and dark colors as well simply because they absorb more light due to color than something like white or silver..

Awaiting photos as well

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This really sounds like Crows Feet or paint checking.. I really hope it is not because both of them are visual symptoms of paint failure. This is more common on reds and dark colors as well simply because they absorb more light due to color than something like white or silver..

Awaiting photos as well

I found a pic similar of the internet but its not this bad yet

·
Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
1,418 Posts
I found a pic similar of the internet but its not this bad yet

If that is what you have then it's paint/primer contamination.
It will continue to grow until it covers the entire truck.
What year, make, model, color paint do you have?
I have seen this before on a few of OUR trucks!
This is a Ford factory paint job issue.
GET IT CHECKED!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Err not good, however some of the 02s must have been painted improperly. I have been leary to really go all out on mine yet as I have a limited amount of clear yet and on my roof I have some nasty cracking in the two roof slats right above the door. I plan on getting mine repainted down the line so right now its just damage control for me.

PS Mine is also black

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Man, nothing you can do for tha,t other than strip and re-paint, however good time to look into a new hood!
Sad thing not only is it on my hood its on my doors and front side fenders i guess a new candy paint job will do.:rockon_ford my truck wont be covered under manufactures warranty

·
Whines more then a baby!
106 Posts
As a new member I also have some of that issue of the primer contamination. Its not nearly as bad as that pic but It is there. I assume their is no recall of this and that the truck will have to be repainted. I just got done detailing the Truck and the hood, and front bumper are the worst. Also have some random dark spots that dont match the spaint on the front bumper. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
had that on my 02 HD....and yup it gets worse as the years go on....bout the only thing to do is strip it down and do it over.....mine was under the windows on the front doors and the top and side of the front quarters....

I got a whole new paint job though so those worries are behind me now

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah thats waht i noticed lol o well im deciding still on going candy paint or go carbon fiber hood and fenders just waiting to see what money will buy me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts