Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my trans rebuilt and still breaking it in I have 400 miles on it so far and for some reason it is not shifting the best from 1st to 2nd sometimes it shifts between 1,000 and 2,000 rpms and then half the time it shifts at 3,000 to 3,600 rpms. and only does this in the 1-2 shift otherwise it shifts fine. could it be the spring in the trans catching up on something or is it electrical or should I have my chip looked at? Please help I'm not sure where to start on this. :smt010

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
need more facts

Just got it rebuilt hu,
Of course #1 I would pull the chip and if the prob is still there,
TAKE IT BACK to the trans people IMMEDIATELY

My Tranny sometimes holds a gear, but I think we may have adaptive
learning OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, my Mitsi.whatever has it.

I know with my L, if your on an incline (even slight) IT WILL hold a gear longer at light throttle. When you say it shifts at diff RPM's, are you using the exact same throttle position, same road, same everything ?
It's easy to be at a slight diff position on the throttle,
or are you telling us you got a def noticable problem ???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish it was as easy to just remove the chip and see how it drives without it.
But it is a 2000 that used to have the 80mm mas air unit and now has a 90mm mas air and no cats. the chip is burned for that and the other mods i have. So i don't know if it would be safe to drive it without the chip. I have another chip for it but is set up for the 80mm mas air unit and for no cats. would it be safe to drive the truck around the block with that chip to see if it still shifts like that?
more info on the shifting part of it-
all the roads are flat. with very light gas when taking off it shifts between 1,000 and 2,000 rpms. but anymore gas then that and it does not shift untill 3,000 rpms or higher. but when that happens i let off the gas and it shifts fine then give it gas and the rest of the shifts are fine. so this is the problem is to how can i figure out how to determine what is causing it to shift like that. I'm getting the chip reburned but they can't do it till next week. so i have to see how i can go about testing to find the source of this problem. I hope this gives more info on how it does this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if I take it to a SVT dealer would they be able to figure what is the cause of this problem. or will they give me a hard time because it has no cats?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the trans was shot. blew out 2nd gear and cooked the fluid. had a friend try and rebuild it and put the washer bearing at the back of the case in backwards. the one side has the bearings on it and should be facing away from the trans. well the whole case is shot and now i had to have a brand new trans put in. it is working great now but I think i need a bigger trans cooler. living down here in south Florida it is needed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome to the club my friend. I have had my 99 Lightning for the past two years and the guy who owned it before me, did not know how you set the Flip Chip he had installed in it and with the way the Flip Chip was programmed, the Line Pressure was stepped up Electronically, making the transmission shift hard all the time. When I test drove this Lightning before I bought it, the transmission shifted Violantly and I asked him what position the chip was set at and he explained to me, like DUH......I do not know. Well , that evidently was the beginning of the end, as he was running the Flip Chip in the Agressive Race program and inflated the Line Pressure 24-7, which is not good for these transmissions, driving around all the time, as a daily driver. Anyway, I have owned this Lightning now for the past 2 years and just recently, after installing the FTVB (Factory Tech Accumulator Valve Body, the transmission has been acting very funny. I installed a Wideband 02 Commnader two weeks ago and took the Lightning ot for a test drive, to check the Air'Fuel Ratio numbers at wide open throttle. Whoop.....the engine run up to the Rev Limiter at the top of 1st gear and vehicle would not shift into 2nd. I though.....Oh #$*% what is going on here. Now, I pull over to the side of the road and checked out everything under the hood to see anything wrong. Nothing, so I try to drive it back to the house and it would not shift into 2nd gear at all. I get home, remove the Chip and test drive it around the block, it shifted funny, but it did change gears seemly okay. Right, from first gear, right into 3 rd and then into Overdrive. No 2nd gear at all.

Now, here it is One week later and the vehicle without a chip installedd in it, Shifts from first gear and seems sloppy, at light throttle, but at 1/3 throttle, it did not want to shift at all. I took it into my Dealership here and had them run a scan on it and evidently all 99-2001 Lightning's have a very "Weak" Intermediate One Way Clutch, that supports the vehicles shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and mine was Fried. Will not shift into 2nd gear, but instead, shifts directly into 3rd gear, then into Overdrive. Remedy for this is to completely rebuild the transmission or replace it with a Factory Ford Remanufactured. I Voted for the Factory Rebuilt with a 3 year-36,000 mile warranty, even in lieu of my other modifications done to the vehicle, my dealership will honor this warranty for this period.

Case & Point here, is all 99-2001 had a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) put out to all Ford Dealerships across the USA and they Did Not send out Notices to any SVT Lightning Customers to bring their vehicle in for this Fix. In mid year 2001 Ford made these changes to the transmissions , installed a much better "Intermediate One Way Clutch" in those transmissions to the current 2004 model year. But for those of us that fall into this category, are caught dead in the water and hvae to pay for a tranny rebuild, or buy a Ford Factory Replacement and eat this expense, as I was confronted with today. I will get my Lightning back sometime next week with a Factory Fresh Transmission, New Converter etc. and it should be good to go.

Hope this little bit of information helps, as any Lightning modified 99-2001 will no doubt encounter this problem and certainly $3200 part and Replacment Tranny/Converter is what it will cost you!! BTW, I also had to have my PCM Replaced with a Brand New one, not a remanufactured PCM either.

For you that do not know this, if you ever have to have your PCM replaced, Ford will install a New PCM and it automiatically comes with a 8 year-80,000 mile warranty on it, regardless of the other modifications done to your vehicle, plus if you do remove the PCM and install any Chip or scrape any of the material off the contacts of the circuit board, it will immediately Void that warranty. Now you might think, what is he going to do , to keep Ford Dealerships from Voiding out my warranty in the future, right?? Well , i am getting my Lightning Dyno Tuned with the New SCT EXcaliber Handheld Porgrammer and upload the programs into the PCM, verses removing it and have to open the case and install a Chip and then, Void my warranty on the New PCM, NOT!!!!!! So, in closing, Reprogrqm the PCM and Do Not open the PCM up and install a Chip, just to void the warranty on it!!

Hope this helps, as I had 2 problems with my Lightning in the past week and both are being taken care of as I type. Good luck to those who do not have these issues and if you do, save your money, as PCM's are not cheap ( $400 plus) and Tranmissions Rebuilt by Ford with an excellent warranty ($3200) are worth every dime, especially with the Upgraded parts installed into them now, to bring them up to date with the current 04 models.               

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SFPH,
that sucks that all that stuff happened to your ride. at least you know now you have a warranty and with the programer you are set. I wish they had the better programmers out when i bought my chip and be able to re-tune it as needed.

It would be cool to have a Lightning get together over at your shop and do a show of what you guys have to offer at SFPH. you could even get a huge banner and take a photo of all the Lightnings. Just a thought.

·
Registered
202 Posts
One other thing to check is the actual shift points programmed into the ecu. There is a trans shift schedule programmed into the trans which can be modified by any tuner. It lists all the up and downshifts as well as when the converter locks and un-locks by gear, speed, and throttle position. It is a graph comparing mph and throttle position, so you could have early shifts with light throttle and then at a given throttle position it may delay shifting considerably. It all depends on what it is set at and you'd need the tuner of the chip/program to tell you where it is.

Jody

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can't be stressed enough. do not increase the line pressure and do not shut off the torque reduction. these will both eat your trans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Case & Point here, is all 99-2001 had a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) put out to all Ford Dealerships across the USA and they Did Not send out Notices to any SVT Lightning Customers to bring their vehicle in for this Fix. In mid year 2001 Ford made these changes to the transmissions , installed a much better "Intermediate One Way Clutch" in those transmissions to the current 2004 model year. But for those of us that fall into this category, are caught dead in the water and hvae to pay for a tranny rebuild, or buy a Ford Factory Replacement and eat this expense, as I was confronted with today. I will get my Lightning back sometime next week with a Factory Fresh Transmission, New Converter etc. and it should be good to go.

This is not correct. The only change made to the intermediate one way clutch over the entire life of the 4R100 was the Mechanical Diode, which was done in August of 2000 (for the 2001 model year) and ended in March of 2001 because the original desing was the better one. There were only 1600 Lightnings built with these transmissions, code 1J in the early 2001 model year. All of the other ones have the same intermediate sprag that Ford used from 1989 up until the last 4R100 was built in July of 2004. Factory Tech does however have an improved design intermediate one way, in all Monster Boxes, MIAB kits and availbel seperately for $62, it has 45 elements instead of the factory 34 element unit.

Hope this clears that up. Sometimes, a tech at a dealer will have his information all screwed up and pass along some things that "just aint so"

G

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
WELCOME G,  [smilie=wavey.gif]
It's great to have you here at LR.Com  [smilie=bow.gif]
and I’m sure Terry will be happy to read this and get the facts straight
(I know I rather hear it from "Factory Tech" and not a Dealer Tech  :D )

Terry, I'm real happy to hear you’re getting a new Trans, but sorry to see you have to foot the bill  :sad:  The main thing is that this problem will be behind you now buddy. Let the Dealer think and say whatever they want..... Just wish they were more educated sometimes
(btw, Sorry Terry I see your e-mail now, I was on a marathon phone call)

If you need any facts and information on your 4R100, there is not a more qualified man on this planet than "G" and you just heard is straight from "The Man" Himself.  :smt045

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gregg Evans said:

This is not correct.   The only change made to the intermediate one way clutch over the entire life of the 4R100 was the Mechanical Diode, which was done in August of 2000 (for the 2001 model year) and ended in March of 2001 because the original desing was the better one.  There were only 1600 Lightnings built with these transmissions, code 1J in the early 2001 model year.  All of the other ones have the same intermediate sprag that Ford used from 1989 up until the last 4R100 was built in July of 2004.  Factory Tech does however have an improved design intermediate one way, in all Monster Boxes, MIAB kits and availbel seperately for $62, it has 45 elements instead of the factory 34 element unit.

Hope this clears that up.  Sometimes, a tech at a dealer will have his information all screwed up and pass along some things that "just aint so"

G
Greg, thanks for pointing me in the right direction here, as you only find out about certain things from a dealer tech and sometimes they might not be true. However, in my case, this did happen to me and I lost 2nd gear altogether and it is going to cost me $2600 for this new Tranny and Converter. We all learn from this , I am sure. At least I will have a 3 year/36k warranty on this one after they install it, regardless to the other modifications done on the Lightning, as the Dealership knows me and the vehicle. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to help. The sprag (the old and then the new one way clutch design) hardly ever fails in a gas engine, some Ls do grenade them, but it's a pretty good part. The updated 45 element one is darn near indestructable, though. If you lost the FTVB with the swap, let me know and I'll send a replacement.

G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts