Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you hydroboost guys. Did any of you have to modify the master cylinder rod length? I haven't driven the truck in a year and I have brake drag issues now. If I lift up
on the pedal the brakes release, the pedal barely moves upward any. Also have a noise coming from the hydro boost. I'm thinking the master cylinder rod is too long and not allowing the brake fluid to circulate resulting in pad hang-up. The excessive rod length would also be causing the hydroboost to be noisy.

I'm running a 2005 f250 booster with my stock f150 master cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not. My pedal is short but that's a known thing and I like it.

I'm also running a 2003 booster.
My pedal is also short. I was told hydratech makes an adapter for one of the power steering pump ports. The factory line can block a passageway on the side of one of the threaded ports. Calling them tomorrow

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I'm running an lines. Which factory line is the issue?
Not sure. Hydratech is closed until tomorrow

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I didnt have any issues when i did mine either. Did a full write up how to also(in how to section). Since then i changed my rod, as i didnt like the low pedal as much as i thought i wld. I very crudely made a rod puller took it out and cleaned up the od. Cut it in half and then threaded it for, i think it was 1/2-20 thread coupler nut. Bottomed out on both sides the rod sets almost stock again.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm reading that blocking the hole in the side of the pressure port causes issues.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What fittings did you use? I used aeroquip fittings with their stainless braided lines.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What fittings did you use? I used aeroquip fittings with their stainless braided lines.
I'm running factory f250 lines from the pump to booster and booster to gear box.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Have you measuted the dept of the hole inside frim the face vs how far the fitting threads in?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you measuted the dept of the hole inside frim the face vs how far the fitting threads in?
No, I just learned about it. It will be a fun job now that I've got turbo's and piping in there

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Does seem like an odd problem to have with factory style parts. Are you positive there is nothing wrong with the calipers and pads? Just wana rule that out i suppose also.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does seem like an odd problem to have with factory style parts. Are you positive there is nothing wrong with the calipers and pads? Just wana rule that out i suppose also.
I'm sure. I can lift the brake pedal slightly and the brakes release.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Jim at hydratech said I must have 1-2 psi backpressure in the hydroboost return line. Booster to tee. Going to run the return hose into the top of reservoir and block off the tee port. If hanging brakes goes away I need to route my return hose and tee higher or add a return port to the reservoir. Sounds like you should always have your hydroboost return orientated to allow gravity to help the fluid reach the tee. My return hose loops down and back up to the tee. The cooler to reservoir hose that you splice the tee into should be straight through the tee. This hose should pull fluid from the booster hose as fluid passed through it.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Figured it out. Too much backpressure on the booster return hose. I need to eliminate the tee fitting and run the return hose directly to the reservoir.

I capped the tee and ran the booster return hose into the reservoir with the cap off. Brakes do not hang.

Reactions: dameon911

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Rather than making a new reservoir I opted to modify the cap. Added a 3/8" barb. I still need to pick up some small spacers, bolts, & nuts to mount the deflector disc back onto the bottom.

Reactions: B4Thunder03

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Done

1 - 20 of 24 Posts