Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to take the bolts out of the bed to slide it back so I can change out the fuel pumps, and I have 5 of the 6 bolts out,none of them really gave me any trouble.But the last one,passenger side(nearest to the cab) is not budging.I have put a propane torch on it for about 5-10mins,used almost a whole can of pb blaster,tried to break it free using a hammer to shock it and its not budging.

The head is not quite but almost stripped out.What can I do?I need this bolt out.Im thinking aout using a dremel and cutting the nut off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We always had problems with that same bolt and the body shop I used to work at. I think the guy putting the thread lock on that bolt got a little slow and put too much on lol. We always had to cut the head off and get a new bolt and the clip that goes on the frame.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,675 Posts
you're doing it the hard way, it's takes like 25 minutes to drop the tank

·
Southern Fried SVT Pilot
2,450 Posts
Fire wrench works good......but I'd try a cut off disk on a side grinder first. Dremel might work if you got enough cut off disks. Ones I've used were very brittle and shattered on the Dremels.
Good luck

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
good luck welding to it... its made of unobtanium...

just buzz the head off and pick the bed up... then mutilate the clip with a hammer... the clips are like 3 bucks a piece from ford

·
Olivia maxim 2nd sexiest woman
687 Posts
when I did my air ride install on 2 of them I had to cut the head off and grind the bolt so I could lift the bed over it with the rest of the headless bolt still attached to the frame

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,713 Posts
The owner that had my truck originally Rhino sprayed the bed and they sprayed over the bolts....UGH...:smt021

·
15,687 Posts
Junio... I found a hole saw slightly bigger than the head of the bolt and took the rhino lining off that way

Sent via my damn droid.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,713 Posts
Junio... I found a hole saw slightly bigger than the head of the bolt and took the rhino lining off that way

Sent via my damn droid.
hmmm....nice idea. I haven't dived into it yet, but I'll remember that tip. I had thought about using my heat gun, a razor knife, etc.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have a welder,so welding a nut on the head of the bolt was possible...my welding skills arent the greatest and I would surely find a way to screw something up.So I took my dremel tool and started to cut away at the nut that the bolt goes through.I ended up only having those little cheezy cut off wheels,so tomorrow ill pick up a good one at my work and try again.

·
15,687 Posts
hmmm....nice idea. I haven't dived into it yet, but I'll remember that tip. I had thought about using my heat gun, a razor knife, etc.
Honestly... once you get the torx bit in it... you back it out through most of the time... if not it leaves an outline for you to cut.haha

Sent via my damn droid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts