Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i wasn't able to get a mold made for this, I'll show you how i did it.
This is basically a "free mod"  and i know everyone likes "FREE MODS."
For legal reasons, i am not responsible for any thing that is broken, etc.  you are doing this at your own risk!

Stuff you'll need:
PVC Glue
Pipe Coupler
razor
File (dremel makes life easier)
fine grit sand paper
3m surface cleaner
gloss paint
dull black (base coat)
basic tools

Where to get it:
Everything above can be purchased at home depot!

Time:
24 hours (for the paint to set)

This does not take along time to do, i have just broken everything down into small steps!

here we go:

1) first take the pipe coupler (witch everyone is closest to your gauge size, just bring you gauge to home depot, and see which one will fit it the best) and file or dremel.  the coupler's wall is too thick for the gauge to fit in it, so bore out the inside to where the gauge will slide into it and fit tightly.  

2) after the gauge is fitted, take it out.  now take the coupler and scuff up the outside with some sand paper.  this will allow the paint to stick to it better.

3) remove the black cover that is above the stock gauges, 3 bolts hold it in place.  

4) next snap the black piece that goes around the steering column.  once that piece is removed there will be 2 bolts on each side that hold the rest of the first black piece that goes around the stock gauges in place.  now take it out and set it to the side.  

5) take a flat head screw driver and pop the light switches out, there will be gap at the bottom center of it that allows this to happen.  now that it is removed, there will be another bolt that holds the vent assembly in place.  remove it.  

6) now finish removing the vent assembly.

7) once it is out, remove the vent itself.  there will be a few bolts holding it in place on the back side.  take the other part of the vent assembly and set it aside.

8) now that the vent itself is removed, take the sand paper and scuff it up,  smooth it down(witch is what i did), or just leave it the way it is to keep the OEM look.

9) now take the pipe coupler, and center it on the vent and take a pencil and outline a circle on it.  the top and bottom of the coupler sit perfectly in the vent.

10) now take your razor and cut the circle out.

11) now take the sand paper, and smooth the edges out that you cut to make a rounded end, where the coupler sits into them.  make this shape ( on the ones on the left, and this shape on the ones on the right).  but make them to where they match the coupler. !!!!! do not worry if there is a small gap b/t the cuts you made and the coupler, the glue will make up for that in the next step!!!!!

12) now that you have the coupler matching the vent cuts, take the coupler and cut it at a 45* on the back side. this will allow the pod to be pointed toward the driver.

13) now take your surface cleaner and rub everything down to clean the surface to get it ready for the glue.  let it sit for 15 min.

14) this step is the most important.  take the coupler and vent, and put a small amount of glue on each end of the cuts that you made and slide the coupler in to the slot to where is pointing at an angle toward you (this was the reason the 45* cut was made in step 12.  after it is in place, add some more glue to each of the cuts you made, to help hold it in place.  as stated above in step 11, if you have a larger gap, just keep adding glue until the gap is closed. if needed, take a rounded object, to shape the glue to match everything.

15) let this sit for about 2 hours, or until the glue has hardened to you likes.  once this glue sets, it is as hard and strong as the PVC plastic itself.

16) now that the glue has set, take it and tug a little bit on the coupler, kinda like your trying to pull it out of the vent, to make sure it has set good enough.

17) now take the surface cleaner and rub it down again, to clean off any foreign debris.  now let it sit for 30 min.

18) take the dull base paint you decided on, and paint your first coat on.  ( at any point during the painting that your paint bubbles, or runs, just let it dry to the touch, and use some fine grit sand paper and and smooth it down, and repaint it on one of the next three coats.

19) let the paint set for 15 min under a fan, inside!

20) paint your second coat, and let it set for 30 min under a fan, inside!

21) now take the gloss paint and paint your first gloss coat on, let it set for Min under a fan, inside!

22) paint your second coat of gloss paint.  let is set  for 1 hour under a fan, inside!

23) now paint your third and final coat on.  let it set for 24 hours, under a fan inside!

24) now that everything is ready to be reassembled, take the "vent pod" and reinstall it into place.  if needed, remove the arm inside the vent assembly, that opens and closes the air way.  this will allow all the lines to tunnel down right beside the fuse panel.

25) reinstall everything back into place, and your done!

here are some pics i took:

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
"How Too" make your own "Vent Pod"

Good one Bro, Thats an original idea I haven't seen before :smt023
And it's not blocking your view like with a Pod, I like it.....
BTW, Does any A/C still come out of that vent ?

I see Chris moved it, Please don't think this was moved for any other reason than
THANKS FOR THE "HOW TO" to add to our Library
WOO HOO....
:smt109

People can read and respond to this post HERE
A copy will always be in the "How To" and we ask people to only
respond there when pointing out a problem, or making a correction.
(This way People can go there and read them, with no xtra reading)

With guys like me that respond to post's and go on forever, it'll be easier :D

THANKS AND NICE JOB

·
Registered
158 Posts
"How Too" make your own "Vent Pod"

Nice inovative idea.
I am afraid it would be pratical in cooler climates.
In hotter areas like here I need another A/C duct and cannot afford to lose one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.