Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my previous best is 12.5 on my warm weather tune, that same day when I switched to my race tune, the weather and track prep had gotten too bad to get a better time.

my 12.5 run was with another PB of 1.87 60' time. That warm weather tune dynos at about 429hp and my race is about 435hp. Right now, JDM is sending me 2 new tunes that is adding 3' of timing to both my warm and race tunes (will be 17 and 20) and leaving my cold as is (420hp @ 14')

so i figure on a good cool day, i can run my new race tune and will have to improve on that 12.5 number because i wont be on warm tune... race tune alone should help. Im also considering removing tailgate, pass. seat and sway bar... i figure all that is well over 100lbs...

i have a 2000 lightning with stock tranny, converter and 3.55 gears is where Im hurting... cuz of the 3.55s, im running 26" slicks (i heard they make the right ratio)

so with new tune, less weight and a little more practice under my belt (still only been to track enough times to count on one hand) what do you think is the best possible times for me? Im curious what my truck is possible of with the perfect conditions as far as ET and 60' go....

JDM SCT, Magnum, 4lb, C+L plenum, full LT exhaust, accufab, efan, tbars, MT ET streets, idler bracket, jlp ram air, 90mm, prolly a few other minor things.....

im curious, if this alone wont get me 11s (practice im sure is big part of what I need), what will it take?? will a 2400 converter alone get me there? im not looking to consistantly run 11s everytime down the track.... but would like it to be there once in a while....

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
When your Truck looks as Bad Ass as yours, who needs 11's :smt023 :smt023

ok I do know the feeling, schitt I was the 12.0 King, and it was killing me @$%(@$%
If you can run 12.5 w 1.87, You get that 1.87 to a low-mid 1.6, and you got your self 3/10th's - 4/10th's RIGHT THERE ;)

With those new tunes and race fuel, AND A GOOD LAUNCH, YOUR IN
GOOD LUCK BRO :cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to dissapoint you Rob, but the truck recently had a makeover and no longer looks the same.... i got a screamin deal on some authentic chrome wheels and new tires that I couldnt pass up... so I thought the chrome harley look grille and clear headlights "matched" better than the black dark vador look

·
Registered
270 Posts
still looks bad ass! hey u wanna sell those projectors? you have any close ups of them? thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
00bolt, We have a guy out here in the Socal Lightning Club that is running similar mods to you. The difference is he has stock fan and stock plenum, but is running a 6lb lower and sometimes an 8lb. He went 12.0 on with the 6lb lower out here in the bad air and high DA's. He has gone to the track and made 20 passes in the matter of a couple hours, so I would say its pretty safe. I'd say with a 6lb lower and a better 60ft you got your self a 11.8 11.9. (he is running a stock block)

Truck looks good :smt012

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx guys....

i think im gonna get some practice under my belt, i think my inexpierence is half my problem. But when I get my new tunes back from JDM this week ill see what I can do....

but id rather keep the 4lb to be honest.... if I do anything, id like to improve ET without power... (ie converter)... if im throwing down 1.8-1.9 on regular basis... if i get converter and can be in 1.6-1.7s then thats like .3+ off 1/4 right??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran an 11.8 with

Apten
2.80 upper
4lb lower
Heat Exchanger
Full exhaust /w Long Tubes
Built tranny with stall
traction bars
slicks
electric fan

60' 1.666
1/8 7.575
mph 90.5
1/4 11.899
mph 113.68

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
If that's the case when I add my 2.8 upper and LT's and get terry to dyno tune the truck I should shoot for 11's then. I have a few more mods than you but for the most part the same.

·
Registered
118 Posts
99BlackBeast said:
If that's the case when I add my 2.8 upper and LT's and get terry to dyno tune the truck I should shoot for 11's then. I have a few more mods than you but for the most part the same.

I think you would have a good shot. Especially running those 4.10 gears. I will tell you one thing. The blower he is using is one bad muther scratcher. I don't know what the heck Apten did to that thing, but it added about 40 H.P. to my power and knocked about 3 tenths off my E.T. when I was using it.

For example...Before it was Aptenized...I had to run a 6 pound lower to get the same E.T. he just did with a 4 lb lower and it was 15 degrees cooler when I did it.

I don't know what kind of gain your getting from the JLP port...but it should be interesting to see if it can keep up with the Apten.

Good Luck......I say...GO FOR IT [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am by far no timing expert but 20 degrees sounds like a whole lot. Be carefull.
I would want to run it on a dyno to check it first.
Good luck on your quest for 11s :smt023

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
Back in the day (two years ago) I ran 11.89 and 11.92 with the following mods;

2lb lower
2.80 upper
Stock Eaton
Long tubes, full exhaust w/cats
PI converter
Elec fan
Cold air intake
single blade tbody
Extrude honed upper plenum
denso plugs
Plasma booster
28 inch slicks and skinnies up front
traction bars (my own polished stainless steel ones)
4550 race weight
Race fuel to be safe

and a tune that is crude to todays standards, it was an older superchips blue chip with 21 degrees of timing.
With that low boost (11.5-12) it was hard to get a decent 60 ft, but I was getting consistant 1.73's.

It can be done with low boost and a good combination of parts.

[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts