Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been the Wrench on each and every entire aftermarket part and Mod on my L,

some of my "How Too's" may not be fancy, and some (like this one) really dont need long

drawn out instructions. Although I had nightmares about messing with my new tranny

when I first bought it, this Mod turned out to be extremly straight foward, very easy, and actually

can be done "very quick" in @ an hour, (with a little experience much faster).

Do it yourself, it's easy, fast, and you'll save $

I am using My Pictures, Vinnie's Pic's and Konig's (THANKS GUYS)

For this job, you'll need:

8mm + 10mm (1/4" or 3/8" drive)

6-8 Qt's of Mercon Fluid "ONLY"

Torque Wrench in/lb's

New Transmission filter, Deutch Filter #TF-325

Pan Gasket (can usually be Re-used)

Pull the Transmission Dip Stick

Secure the Truck up in the air, on a lift, etc....

Drain and Remove the Transmission Pan, 10 mm

Taken the pan down without draining it (I reused the factory pan) was not as bad or messy as I thought.

I did what they said and removed all bolts but the 4 corners, then removed the rear two corners

and it started draining quite clean right into the pan.Then after it all stopped coming down,

I simply removed the last 2 and took the pan down with a good 3 quarts still in it. Simply tilted it into the

huge pan I was using, and wam, it was down.

Remove Tansmission Filter (it just pulls out) "NOTE HOW IT GOES"

Remove the factory VB, 8mm

Install Greg's FTVB (or other)

TORQUE SPEC'S VB=80-100 in/lbs, working from the center out to the edges.

Pop a new Filter in, Deutch Filter TF-325

(Here you can see Konig used a nice aftermarket one)

Time to pick a Pan, Ford part number deep plugged pan=F81Z-7A194-BA. Gasket is reusable...

(Got This from V's Gallery)

And These

This one came from Konig's

Put the Pan Back On

TORQUE SPEC'S Pan bolts=11-12 ft/lbs.

IT'S REALLY THAT EASY............

THANKS RhinoHD + White Lightning for the Torque Spec's, Part #'s, and suggestions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
VB=80-100 in/lbs, working from the center out to the edges.
Pan bolts=11-12 ft/lbs.

Deutch Filter TF-325
Ford part number deep plugged pan=F81Z-7A194-BA
Gasket is reusable...

Nice How to... :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
ronbo might want to add to the parts list inch/pounds torque wrench. Also people need to check tranny fluid when hot. Oh and if you have luck like mine, take the dipstick out before starting. BTW good post. :smt023

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,629 Posts
thanks for the how to, I appreciate it...

·
Registered
531 Posts
This will be very helpful when the time comes! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
LOT OF GOOD USEFUL INFOMATION WHEN INSTALL VALVE BODY

This is some of the best infomation on valve body install, Looks like a well made filter also. Thanks to Rob:cheers for posting:bigtu

·
Registered
299 Posts
That replacement pan you used...is that the 4x4 trans pan that everyone and their mother is using on this forum? I guess it's a good idea to do that at the same time I add the VB :p

·
We're in a Tight Spot!
573 Posts
Do you need to do the filter relocation/drop? I'm asking i thought i'v read that some where when replacing the stock pan with the larger capacity one.

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Do you need to do the filter relocation/drop? I'm asking i thought i'v read that some where when replacing the stock pan with the larger capacity one.

The 4x4 pan has its own associated filter....(longer Pickup Tube) compared to the stock pan and filter

Deep Transmission Pan (4x4) and Filter Part numbers...
F81Z-7A194-BA (Pan)
YC3Z-7A098-BA (Filter)

·
We're in a Tight Spot!
573 Posts
The 4x4 pan has its own associated filter....(longer Pickup Tube) compared to the stock pan and filter

Deep Transmission Pan (4x4) and Filter Part numbers...
F81Z-7A194-BA (Pan)
YC3Z-7A098-BA (Filter)

Thanks, oh yeah by the way great information thread. I plan on doing this. Thanks STEW for answering my question. [smilie=3g

·
Whining azz 'Eaton
608 Posts
you guys are awesome!:bigtu

·
Registered
134 Posts
nice HOW TO...sorry for the newb question, but i cant seem to find where to buy a FTVB can someone please post a link?? thanks

·
.030, XR heads, [email protected]
12,831 Posts
nice HOW TO...sorry for the newb question, but i cant seem to find where to buy a FTVB can someone please post a link?? thanks

call JJ at Woodbine motorsports on tuesday for a punisher one.... just my $.02. Lot's of folks have converted from FTVB to punisher ones; and love it!:smt102

he's racing his new 5.0 in a mag shootout on monday is why fyi....:cheers

·
JTBtheSISSY thinks his cobras fast.
4,002 Posts
talk about a resurection!!!! 2k4 holy crap

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am about to install a Punisher VB and 4X4 pan, how much fluid will the tranny hold combined with the torque converter? I believe that Mercon V is the fluid of choice although Mercon III will work. Any opinions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts