1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Aka 2003_lightning
12,190 Posts
Awesome wrote up and btw u get the award for the nastiest cooler ever

·
Whipple Powered
3,850 Posts
Holy Shit that is the absolute worst intercooler and turkey pan I have seen yet. I think you have some other issues to address.

Nice write up with good pictures though. This will be helpful to a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Nice wright up. Got a few thing to help you out. You made it harder then it needs to be.

Now we disconnect all the throttle body components, easy!!!:smt023

1.Unhook throttle Spring (note the position and side it goes)

2.Unhook the other side of the Throttle Spring.

3.Slide the Cruise Control off, pinch the plastic piece behind the bracket.

4.Slide the Throttle Cable out by pinching the plastic clips the same way.

5.Unclip the Cruise Control cable.

6.Unhook the cable, it is hooked on the same as a bicycles brakes.

7.Unscrew the nut holding the bracket in place, and bracket should slide out.
Skip 3,4,5 just unhook the springing, and cables unbolt from TB. IT WILL ALL JUST FOLD OUT OF THE WAY. messing with the clips is not needed and if you brake one you will never find a replacement.

You don't have to take off the plenum

Also just take the two bolts out of the EGR and pull on it a tad. No need to take it all the way off from the exhaust

Don't separate the IC from the mid plate, if the gasket is not leaking then it's fine. The bolts are TTY. If you take it off then you will need a new gasket. The MP to SC gasket is medal and reusable

And replace the PCV valve with one from a 98 cobra.

And green can of brakekleen is better no chlorine

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input 93Snake, I bought the gasket so I replaced it, but you are right you don't have to, and removing all that stuff just makes it easier, but you don't have to remove these, might get in the way though. Either way is fine. :smt023

Thank you everyone. And I know it was dirty....imagine yours! lol jk my truck didn't have an oil separator and it has 160,000 miles lol

You think I have other issues KPsBolt??? :ahhhh

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Holy Shit that is the absolute worst intercooler and turkey pan I have seen yet.

Nice write up with good pictures though. This will be helpful to a lot of people.

+1

Its good to see you're taking the time to make these how to's. Unfortunately over the years many of the detailed write ups are becoming obsolete as owners sell their trucks and remove pics from their photo host accounts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Such a good write up with the pics! Make me want to do mine...on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the difficulty of this?? Also..where did you get the new intercooler pump and how much did you pay?

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Difficulty? I'd say 1-10....3 lol maybe. But then again I got small hands, and I got years of working on cars. But I don't have many tools, it was pretty easy. I think you can do it, as long as you follow my write up you should be fine. Thank you again everyone.

The pump I got from...latemodelrestoration.com and tell them you are a Member here at lightning rodder and you get 5% off. They didn't wanna give it to me cause I had already payed for it. I payed 139.99 plus a pretty penny. So 140$

FML I found a cheaper one lol
http://autoplicity.com/products/345...o4&network=g&gclid=CNfsh-3_or4CFY17fgodegcAtA

Here is the regular Bosch one, the difference? I don't know what it is.
All I know is ford racing makes good parts so yeah.
http://ablestores.com/p/3640687/Bos...xiliary Water Pump-%2d%2d-13O007SQNM3J98.html

Or this site, more trust lol

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/bch-0392022002?seid=srese1&gclid=CLaGs62Bo74CFQqPfgod8ggAWQ

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1

Its good to see you're taking the time to make these how to's. Unfortunately over the years many of the detailed write ups are becoming obsolete as owners sell their trucks and remove pics from their photo host accounts.
Yeah thank throttle jockey, you helped me a lot. I'm actually gonna do the steering system maybe. Do a write up on the tie rods. We'll see.

·
SLINGSHOT...ENGAGED
2,608 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,102 Posts
:bigtu

·
shake and bake!!!!!!
556 Posts
Man, and i thought my ic was nasty, but i guess after 160k miles and no separator thats what's it will look like.

Great how-to by the way:bigtu

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the DIY article

I will be doing my ´00 Lightning in a few weeks, since i got it without much history.
How do I check if i have a leaky IC? My lightning has been imported to Europe when it was new so I am not sure if it have been recalled.

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the DIY article

I will be doing my ´00 Lightning in a few weeks, since i got it without much history.
How do I check if i have a leaky IC? My lightning has been imported to Europe when it was new so I am not sure if it have been recalled.
When you take it apart you will see coolant in the turkey pan, are you losing coolant?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts