Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, im getting tired of having my built short block being a money pit and taking so damn long to build. So heres my question:

I have my 97 non-pi with 170something-or-other on it. pretty sure its a cast crank. I have a set of PI heads that are 100% untouched off my 02 short block. If i got a set of used pistons and put the forged rods i have in it with stock bearings and rings, could i run the factory pulleys and not have to worry about shelling something? (like the crank) Would it be worth running ARP mains and head studs in this block as well? Im still up in the air as to who is tuning it also.

I want boost, and i want it now. lol. It sucks when there is a eaton on your nightstand waiting to be used [smilie=dr [smilie=om

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
upgraded head / main studs are well worth the peace of mind...

I'm sure you can find a forged crank for fairly cheap, and if you can then might as well wait a couple extra months and do it right the first time VS risking breaking it up and wasting all your money

·
Registered
759 Posts
I believe all 5.4 motors have a steel crank. so upgrade the rods and balance the rotating assembly? Don't quote me on the steel cranks, but I've been told by one machinest and another person that they all are steel. I believe the only weak link with any 5.4, including N/A motors is the twigs they call rods.

·
Registered
880 Posts
most cast cranks hold up to ~600hp. Like stoff said forged cranks are easy to find. And you probably wont know if you have a forged crank until you get into it. The parting line is pretty prominent of the forged cranks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I believe all 5.4 motors have a steel crank. so upgrade the rods and balance the rotating assembly? Don't quote me on the steel cranks, but I've been told by one machinest and another person that they all are steel. I believe the only weak link with any 5.4, including N/A motors is the twigs they call rods.
your right that they are all steel. Just one is cast steel and the other is forged steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts