Lightning Rodder banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
chad.kirwan
399 Posts
cai

the cai intake systems from lfp and tim at chickenears developes more hp than a stock box. no contest. ambient air under the hood at a stop is not the same as the truck moving at 15mph and up. most dyno people will attest to hp rise with more air.:bong:smiley_bong:

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Looks like a scoop that I modded up about a year before the Chikenman came out with his.....:bigtu

I'm still working on the "stock" airbox also...

and I'm working on a cone filter that has more surface area than the flat panel filter...

pics of that will be posted up a lil' later

·
Registered
601 Posts
when i was still running a stock airbox i had a k&n drop in and i drilled a bunch or 2" holes in the air box with a hole saw. acording to the butt dyno it ran better. the supercharger could be heard more as well. never been on a dyno or at the dragstrip so i have no numbers to back up any of this.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
I'll be running a cone filter with more surface area than the flat panel filter...

ignore the part numbers I posted earlier, I had the wrong measurements. the 90mm MAF adapter needs a 4 inch flange

so I can run a 5-5.5 inch diameter filter around 6.5-7 inches long and maintain the stock air box look...

I can't wait to head to the hardware store on Tuesday (Germans love Mondays off)...

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
as you can see the MAF adapter can be bolted oposite of this (with a lil' dremel work)

this 8 inch Amsoil filter fits in the JLP air box and the bottom of the stock air box...

and it reaches right to the inlet from the fender

and it looks good from the other side

but there had to be a catch someplace...

it just needs to be a couple inches shorter and on an angled MAF adapter or with an angled flange filter...

stay tuned

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
i ran the stock box with the bottom cut out with a kn drop in filter for a long time.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Keep the stock box?

I also would like to Keep the stock box. I like the red sticker on it.
5-.-4-S-C is just B-A-D-!. I find this thread very intresting. I would like to do the hole in the box mod. Where did the hose mount thing you rivited in the box come from?
I was joking with some of the guys at the speed shop show, in the shop I grabbed a 2 guage, guage pillar pod turned it on its side and told them here is my new box scoop! haha. Attach 2 2inch hoses to the guage pods openings on the backside, mount the guage pod horozontaly or verticaly run the hoses to the bottom of the box......Naaa. I got a laugh from them. They laughed[smilie=om but it would work....:smiley_bong:hahaha
[IMG]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rodi_2092_425668092[/IMG]

Anyway here is a really good read from kenne belle on the subject.
It will hurt some of you "CAI" guys feelings though. KB will not warranty his chargers through some CAI's. His warning:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/general-info/HotAirWARNING.pdf

The Tim Skelton page is very informative also, for everything.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/

Disclaimer
I have only had my L for 2 months.
My L is 99.98% stock, Hooker aero chamber mufflers - non stock.
I still know very little compared to you dudes.
I am a quick learner.
I just sold a 11.7 sec 68 firebird for the L,
so I know the basics.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
the inlet piece to the air box, was installed by fishin-hole, go to your local plumbing store and you'll find parts you can use, I'll be going tomorrow to try and find some solid tubing to use for ducting VS "dryerhose"

·
Banned
4,138 Posts
the inlet piece to the air box, was installed by fishin-hole, go to your local plumbing store and you'll find parts you can use, I'll be going tomorrow to try and find some solid tubing to use for ducting VS "dryerhose"
You have to go where the sewer stuff is, but they have some rubber hose that has wire in it like dryer duct, eccept its all rubber with the wire's in it and black instead of the shiny aluminum foil dryer stuff.

·
AKA Mr. Breeze
4,291 Posts
Where do you dream this up?:shitstormretarded[smilie=om

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Actually it was installed by yours truly.:p The inlet piece came from Autozone in the ricer CAI section. They also have 3" duct hose and couplers in several colors.

·
AKA Mr. Breeze
4,291 Posts
LOL, I thought it was you.[smilie=om He pm'ed me about it a couple of times and I told him it was not my doing. He must be off his meds.[smilie=om:shitstormretarded

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
He must be off his meds.[smilie=om:shitstormretarded[/quote]

LOL! Either that or he is approaching my age or [smilie=dr.:laughing25:smt064

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You have to go where the sewer stuff is, but they have some rubber hose that has wire in it like dryer duct, eccept its all rubber with the wire's in it and black instead of the shiny aluminum foil dryer stuff.

^^^ what he said, the sewer pipes for campers and rv works great. i picked up some at walmart 10ft for 8 dollars.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
Where do you dream this up?:shitstormretarded[smilie=om[/quote]

Actually it was installed by yours truly.:p The inlet piece came from Autozone in the ricer CAI section. They also have 3" duct hose and couplers in several colors.
LOL, I thought it was you.[smilie=om He pm'ed me about it a couple of times and I told him it was not my doing. He must be off his meds.[smilie=om:shitstormretarded[/quote]

LOL! Either that or he is approaching my age or [smilie=dr.:laughing25:smt064[/quote]

yeah, I'm off my meds :laughing25 :moon2 :laughing25 :funnyshit :laughing25

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts

and here's a picture of it underneath the truck

now time to fab in the ducting to the air box and get it painted...

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
now it's time to get the "stock" air box finished as well, I'll update with more pics of the parts I'm using

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
:laughing25

·
still pluggin' along
803 Posts
great thread.
Nice innovation Stoffer:bigtu

61 - 80 of 84 Posts