Lightning Rodder banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
no doubt an unmodified one is gonna be restrictive, but one thats been modded?...I'd like to see that dyno sheet.

Maybe next time im on the dyno, i'll see if I can borrow a cone filter to throw on there.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
no doubt an unmodified one is gonna be restrictive, but one thats been modded?...I'd like to see that dyno sheet.

Maybe next time im on the dyno, i'll see if I can borrow a cone filter to throw on there.
The stock box was modded. It had a 3" fresh air duct plumbed into the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The stock box was modded. It had a 3" fresh air duct plumbed into the bottom.

Wow!...now thats some real data!...Thanks! I'm going to rethink my shit now.

Just to double check...that was the only dif between those two pulls?

If thats the case, my 485/567 could have been 500/600+ with my eaton..lol

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Wow!...now thats some real data!...Thanks! I'm going to rethink my shit now.

Just to double check...that was the only dif between those two pulls?

If thats the case, my 485/567 could have been 500/600+ with my eaton..lol
That was the only difference. It was ~1 degree warmer with ~2% more humidity on the Airaid pull.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I wonder if the ram air tube and scoop off a jlp kit could easily be made to fit the stock airbox??
Check the modded airbox in my earlier post. If the jlp kit is 3", it will be no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I haven't given up on the stock airbox. Next time I schedule some dyno time, I am going to try and mod the stock box to use a conical K&N filter.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I haven't given up on the stock airbox. Next time I schedule some dyno time, I am going to try and mod the stock box to use a conical K&N filter.
I was kinda thinking of something like that too. Would be interesting to see if that is possible so I can retain the stock look.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
fishingfox great pics, great info man

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well the reason I was wanting to go to a stock airbox, was because when I purchased my Lightning it already had a catback and JLP CAI. After I looked a little closer after getting the truck home, I noticed the missing tube and scoop that pushes air into the jlp box, so I figured at my power level, I'd probably not miss much airflow with a stock box.

After searching around for a used stock filer box, I got sick of people wanting around 50$ + shipping, this is harsh because I threw my stock filterbox, catback exhaust, and other little doo dad parts off of my 04 Cobra away!, just too much money for what they are imo, so I just ordered the ram air parts from jlp to plumb into my jlp cai, if I do ever find a decent deal on a stock air intake I'll do it and plumb the ram air into it.

BTW, I'm not going to be one of those ricer guys pointing to a cold air intake and claiming big power, just in case you were wondering.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
jeffs I've got a stock lightning airbox

$40 shipped to you...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Biggest thing I noticed with the open filter is that I could hear the SC whine quite a bit more. But maybe just going to a K&N will do that too?

But now the thing is so fing loud I can't even hear the blower. WTB very quiet catback.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
I'm still working on the "stock" airbox also...

and I'm working on a cone filter that has more surface area than the flat panel filter...

pics of that will be posted up a lil' later

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
regarding cone filters that will fit inside the box without too much hassle appears to be:

Amsoil Number EaAU3051

K&N Number - RU-3580

OR

Amsoil Number EaAU3050

K&N Number RU-3570

but I'm not sure if either one provides more surface area than the flat panel filter (which is what we need for better performance and less restriction)...

is anybody good with math?? :laughing25

I think this is the filter we need. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RX-2820 35+ inches of surface area (if I figurerd it correctly...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Biggest thing I noticed with the open filter is that I could hear the SC whine quite a bit more. But maybe just going to a K&N will do that too?

But now the thing is so fing loud I can't even hear the blower. WTB very quiet catback.
K&N won't make it any louder. I am really looking forward to installing my AEM. I want more blower whine!

·
Banned
4,138 Posts
regarding cone filters that will fit inside the box without too much hassle appears to be:

Amsoil Number EaAU3051

K&N Number - RU-3580

OR

Amsoil Number EaAU3050

K&N Number RU-3570

but I'm not sure if either one provides more surface area than the flat panel filter (which is what we need for better performance and less restriction)...

is anybody good with math?? :laughing25

I think this is the filter we need. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RX-2820 35+ inches of surface area (if I figurerd it correctly...
That's thinking outside the box "no pun intended" I still believe those ridges that are there to "reduce sound" in the stock elbow are harmful to airflow, but I understand why your using it.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,561 Posts
I've got a plan for that also

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
that's some good looking home made inventions you're coming up with there, I'm betting it'll run great.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts